Forums

Help › Forums

How Would You Run WGT?

Fri, Mar 25 2011 1:46 PM (54 replies)
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 6:36 AM

Flashblock definitely is using resources or causing something with my system.  3 lost balls in first 9 holes after installing.  Played a couple more nines with it and meter was horrible but no lost balls.  Removed the program and meter improved dramatically.

As for the debate about using Flashblock.  I am ALL for it.  WGT has continued to ignore the large issues at hand.  If they start getting hit in the pocketbook then so be it.  Maybe they'll communicate a bit better and move with a bit more urgency.  Would hate to see people (and friends) lose jobs, but think that would be the only way I could quit playing....which I am very ready to do, just  don't enough will power to walk away.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 8:01 AM

That's a shame fellas. My meter has improved immensely since I installed Flashblock with Firefox 4. I suppose it isn't for everyone. Keep trying to find your meter utopia guys. I found mine. Three days played now and have yet to have a meter stutter, or gaming issues. The game literally plays like I'm playing it off a disc.

GL

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 8:35 AM

borntobesting:
    Think about it Richard Flashblock blocks all things flash so it tries to block the meter and anything else flash which is the game so your PC has to work double just to run the game. A lot of us spend hours and hours trying to make our PCs run clean so flash will work better. And flashblock would make all that work a go for naught. Anything that uses PC resources can slow the game anyway and a program that blocks any of it could make it unplayable.

Your a little misinformed my friend. Explain why my gaming experience is the best it's ever been? If you haven't or won't try it, how can you give an assessment on it? There are other things to do like all the optimization WGT laid-out, plus playing the game in it's own window, and so on. You know the routine. Try Flashblock, if you don't like it, uninstall it. Use it with the new Firefox 4 beta. Make sure you keep your Adobe settings manager cleared. Your meter should be smooth as silk. Mine is.

Some players make the mistake and don't bookmark the game client, or the main page. Flashblock will stop the game client on the main page, simply open the game client from your bookmarks and click the lower case (f). Play-on.

edit: One thing I just noticed using Flashblock, is my Adobe settings manager is always empty except for the WGT web site.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:35 AM

Yesterday i purchased $20 of credits for Xmas presents to my friends, about an hour later i received an email  from WGT telling me i had been awarded  a bonus in the form of a super booster drink.  I was then surprised to find out that it would last 7 days, at a value of $16. That seems like good business to me...cheers WGT

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:15 AM

jakestanfill7:
    Flashblock definitely is using resources or causing something with my system.  3 lost balls in first 9 holes after installing.  Played a couple more nines with it and meter was horrible but no lost balls.  Removed the program and meter improved dramatically.

This is what I would expect.  No program runs without using resources.  Thanks for confirming it.

Hitting them in the pocketbook is a dangerous tactic IMO since there is no control over how hard the hit will be. Depends on how many people adopt the tactic.

Kinda like the NFL rule on leading with your helmet, some hits are unavoidable and unintentional, but they still knock the guy out, still get a flag, and still get fined.  Oooops.

• BriRock
    148 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:44 PM

andyson:
    This is what I would expect.  No program runs without using resources.  Thanks for confirming it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but i tried the flashblock thing yesterday...and it seemed to massively speed up game loading time (instead of 20 seconds it took more like 2 seconds), and i had very few meter issues.  Although today i had a hard time logging in w/firefox, tried it with IE and had no trouble...since then i've disabled flashblocker and have been playing on firefox without it running, as firefox seems to be way smoother and faster...

I must admit that i'm not sure if flashblock is related in any way to my minimal meter issues, i rarely have any as i run a laptop, and a desktop both Core i7's set to run IE &Firefox on a single core...and i do hold my swing for a few seconds prior to letting it go (andyson's advice)...However my internet is nothing special...pretty standard DSL at work, and cable at home...but i can say this...Flashblock did not make my meter worse, not in the way others are describing.

Some more knowledgeable people could answer whether or not the Flashblocker itself is using more resources than all of the flash items it is blocking combined, as many things on the WGT site are done with flash.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 1:13 PM

Brirock, not bad news, you've got plenty of power and capacity with the i7, I run i5 single core.  During the meter swing there are no ads to block, but is still running in the game client.  Nothing saved by ad blocker, but resources used so a net loss of resources.  You have enough power with the i7 to compensate.  That's why  you see no effect.

Are you running FF Beta 4 release 8?  Or an older 3.6 version of FF?

• stencil
    455 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:03 PM

BriRock:

(instead of 20 seconds it took more like 2 seconds)

O man i wish i could get this kind of internet where i live (out in the boonies). My loading takes 2-4 min.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 5:05 PM

stencil:
    My loading takes 2-4 min.

now there's a young man with alot of patience....LOL

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 5:38 PM

andyson:
    Nothing saved by ad blocker, but resources used so a net loss of resources.

Not to add fuel to the Andy/Richard debate, and no I haven't tried it. Stopped at the "donate" before "free download"..;) 

I am totally convinced that any and all problems (assuming minimum receiver specs per WGT) with game play, meter issues, or just plain that should not happen scenario's, comes DIRECTLY from the program (s) WGT has installed. Good or bad take or leave it..... IMHO

Jake is the only exception that this does not apply to...due to perfection can never be obtained.  just bustin ur balls bud..;)  

RSS