209 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 8:55 PM

Have been see that Also!!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 9:32 PM

jayw4862:

PaulTon:

Also, forged irons are less abrasive on the balls skin.

Flops are better than pitches for less wear.

Yep. Very important to remember. Don't know how I forgot to add that PK. Thanks :-)

Playing those ocean-side courses will also reduce ball life. The sand and salt in the air has an abrasive effect on the balls. Probably best to utilize as many punch shots as possible to try and keep it below that grit in the air.

Well. I carry some super slick stuff with me when I play....everytime I hit...I dribble it on the ball...let me think back...I have about 1100 hits on my current ball, just gotta keep'em clean, shiny and slick.

Oh, "slick miester" available at a ProShop near you.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 9:33 PM

JDShoemaker:

Have been see that Also!!

Pray tell....

What have you seen?

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 9:40 PM

alanti:

OHSHEEEIT:
    Ok,it's official.........

Nice Alan!

lol!

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2015 11:33 PM

MBaggese:

Well. I carry some super slick stuff with me when I play....everytime I hit...I dribble it on the ball...let me think back...I have about 1100 hits on my current ball, just gotta keep'em clean, shiny and slick.

Oh, "slick miester" available at a ProShop near you.

Searched the entire Pro Shop and couldn't find that "slick miester" anywhere. Maybe it's only available to higher levels. Can't wait to try it out!!!

Maybe you could gift me a tube, and I'll return the favor somehow ;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 1:11 AM

Some very good points being made here as regards the seaside environment and its effect on one's balls.  It's especially important to keep them shielded from the sand, where additional strokes can become uncomfortable if not downright painful.

Slightly off topic, but I remember a traumatic experience at the local course when I was just learning the game.  Got to the first tee and noticed a strange contraption off to the side.  My playing partner told me it was a ball washer so I gave it a try.  The pain was so intense I nearly gave up the game right then and there.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 1:35 AM

mkg335:
    Slightly off topic, but I remember a traumatic experience at the local course when I was just learning the game.  Got to the first tee and noticed a strange contraption off to the side.  My playing partner told me it was a ball washer so I gave it a try.  The pain was so intense I nearly gave up the game right then and there.

LMFAOOOOOOOOO

Mark my friend....you have made a bad day seem bearable!

PS you should play golf in Asia, the ball washers are not quite so painful.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 1:37 AM

alanti:
    PS you should play golf in Asia, the ball washers are not quite so painful.

Not at point of delivery anyway.  Few scratching in the 19th though :)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 1:46 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Not at point of delivery anyway.  Few scratching in the 19th though :)

LOL Jim....errr so I have been told................

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 3:38 AM

mkg335:

Just posted in a similar thread...I tested the L81 Nike and counted 117 hits (didn't count putts of course) and may have under-counted by a hit or two.  Balls with 2.5 durability usually get in the neighborhood of 120 hits, so I can't say anything has changed.

I'm almost certain that putts from fringe count as hits on the ball life, so, maybe there were 3 of those? Cause from my experience Nikes always had exactly 120 hits from off the green. I counted them a few times, but only from when the hit counter turns red. That's supposed to be the last quarter of the balls life and the count always ended with exactly 30 hits.

@ Alan

PMSL (and that's not that common in one's late 30s) when I saw your "award" for the OP.

RSS