Forums

Help › Forums

COUNTRY CLUBS DAVIS CUP TOURNAMENT

Fri, Jul 3 2015 2:06 PM (384 replies)
  • AlbertoBQ
    2,560 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 7:06 PM

Congratulations to both Carolina Sandhills #2 and Omega Golf #1 who finished all of their matches so early in the week.

Really close match too, but unfortunately for OG#1, CS#2 is the first team to have their name in the next stage.

-abq-

• cbbcrazy
    488 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2015 6:46 AM

Hate to go home early but I would like to say thanks to all the guys responsible for staging this event.  Great format and well organized,  will definitely play in this again.  Thanks guys for some good fun!!

Thanks

Omega Golf & Country Club

• AlbertoBQ
    2,560 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2015 10:19 AM

Hello everyone!

Just a reminder about the Multiround Front: you have until tonight (midnight PST) to play it!

-abq-

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2015 10:46 PM

While the thread is calm I'd like to share a thought about the points system.

First, there's nothing wrong with it and it's no critique - just a thought...

Apparently you picked up the soccer league approach, 3 for a win, 1 for a tie, with a boost to 4 & 2 for the 18 hole doubles match.

In a (soccer) league of many teams over a season, these "ties" points are neccessary to mark the difference to a loss (zero points). They contribute to the individual leaderboard placements.

I want to get your attention that the number of points for a tie is irrelevant in this competition. The tie points may be 1, 2, 1000 or zero - in a match of two teams they will always neutralize between them. Therefore, it might be easier to set them to zero(?)

Just a thought - please continue your brilliant work!

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 2:01 AM

While alosso is technically correct I feel it isn't just a very minor point but to make it 0 points for a draw would also be a negative thing..  

I personally would feel more a contribution to the the team scoring something for a tie, and yes (as said) I know there is no actual difference.  Perhaps it's a glass half full thing but the phrase "picking up a point" springs to mind more easily than "stopping them scoring any points" .

They score one point for a win and a half point for a tied match in the Ryder Cup, a two team competition. 

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 2:42 AM

I hear you, and "to pick a point" may be a good motivational reason.

DodgyPutter:
    They score one point for a win and a half point for a tied match in the Ryder Cup, a two team competition. 

An analogy, but still no difference except that the sum of both sides' points is hereby steadied, different to ours.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 4:42 AM

alosso:
    An analogy, but still no difference except that the sum of both sides' points is hereby steadied, different to ours.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but the result is an easy to understand 14.5 points to win it and 14 points to retain it, perhaps it was that.

To continue using the Ryder Cup the 16.5- 11.5 would have changed to 14-9 if there were no points for a/s matches, no real difference.  So what I was saying is that they could award 0pts in an A/S match with no difference to the outcome but they don't (how many times have we heard "a vital half point for Europe/USA") for, as you say, motivational reasons and I'd suggest aesthetic ones too.

Off the top of my head the points system here hardly makes a difference, the team that wins the most matches (almost always) wins.  I can see that 8-4 (7-3 etc) in the singles and 0-3 in the pairs leaves a tie but even then the team with 8 singles wins would statistically be the more likely winners.  If an equal number of matches are won then the pairs decide, which seems fair enough.

Throughout this thread there have been occasional suggestions for improvements, all also saying how great a competition it is.  I agree wholeheartedly with the latter and have sometimes worried the former could feel to the organisers like a "but.....", albeit unintended.  Please believe this is not, I think this competition is great and am not suggesting you should change it.

If wgt was thinking, as they should be, of starting something similar from scratch I would suggest, like the Ryder cup a scoring system with a finishing line.  That would mean something like 2pts for a win and 1 pt for a tie, perhaps with 4pts and 2pts in the pairs. Teams would then know they needed 19pts to win.   If it was thought this would place too much importance of the pairs, maybe 2pts and 1pt there too.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 6:21 AM

DodgyPutter:
    alosso:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but the result is an easy to understand 14.5 points to win it and 14 points to retain it, perhaps it was that.

Exactly!

Everything else goes deeper into the pre-thoughts of a set-up - 2, 3 or 4 points for a win, which weight to each part - I don't want to lengthen this discussion while the knockout results are coming closer.

Cheers to my successful White Rabbits!

• FarFoo
    2,916 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 6:52 AM

alosso:

Cheers to my successful White Rabbits!

Well played guys, particularly mrumbrella in final 'all or nothing' round, that must have been fun, good 61 he got there.

Good luck in rest of Tourney & thanks for setting up and inviting us Pierolitfiba & Albertobq.

• efratimike
    808 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 7:46 AM

Many  mentioned that Apparently you picked up the soccer league approach, 3 for a win, 1 for a tie, with a boost to 4 & 2 for the 18 hole doubles match.

In a (soccer) league of many teams over a season, these "ties" points are neccessary to mark the difference to a loss (zero points). They contribute to the individual leaderboard placements.]

lololol

1. I just find this funny ,pure humor - pierolitfiba & Alberto -brilliant work-its not easy!

-I really thought  it was sponsored by FIFA  it was my first question  (if anyone read my post) being that pierolitfiba & Alberto are European.& by reading the point system!

cause in my life I have never seen a soccer team start a game   with one man short unless in middle of game the ref pulls out a Red card!

I Was trying to ask Why did Serenity team A get a red flag 5 days before kick-off -I guess I will add it to my list of unsolved mysteries next too Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 :)

mike

RSS