Forums

Help › Forums

how to handle quiters

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 19 2009 11:32 PM (50 replies)
  • Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 12:27 PM

Why should WGT care about "quiters"? They are the customers most likely to buy the next new club, club set, or ball that will give them an edge toward that lover "average".

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 12:34 PM

Crusty56:
    Why should WGT care about "quiters"?

They drive customers away from this site. Customers play a lot fewer multi-player games than they could, if it was at least likely a multi-player game will be completed as intended. Not guaranteed, just likely. Today, the opposite is likely: that your multi-player game will disintegrate after a few holes.

Crusty56:
    an edge toward that lover "average"

I'd hate to mess with anyone's love life.    Simply install one or several of the proposed penalties for quitters, and everything will be fine. Or at least a lot more tolerable than it is today.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:33 PM

Faterson... while I can accept that his issue is top-of-mind for you, and can accept that you really feel that your work on this subject will better WGT as a whole, I must repeat myself when I illustrate your posts as futile.

Lets look at this from WGT's angle, shall we?  WGT makes money with every round STARTED, with every shot HIT, with every view of the Home and Advert pages.  They can go to their advertisers with the information.... (the same information you can get from the top of the home page) and say "See?  Look how many people are playing!!! Please give us more money!!!"

• Rounds started = more money
    • Shots taken = more money
    • Unique views of home page = more money

Should someone bail out of your game, guess what?  He is going to start a new game!  There you go.. more rounds started.. same number of shots hit.... and because he restarted, another unique home page hit ... all equalling more money.

Trust me, Mr. Quixote, the ferocious giants you are tilting at are nothing more than windmills.  Certainly this matters to SOME players, but not all... and you can bet your last yellow golf ball that it is not on the top-priority of WGT 'improvements'.

Let me say, for the record so there is no misunderstanding:  I dislike quitters.  It is annoying to not finish the game the way it started.  But I harbor no illusion that quitting is hurting this game in any way, shape or form other than annoying other players.  And if the annoyed players leave the game entirely?  Fine.  As stated in another post, the percent of actual players to registered names is probably less than 10%.  If some people get annoyed and leave, their names stay registered and they are still counted.

I grow weary of this topic.  I wish I could stop writing on it.... but you, sir, will not allow that.  Everytime you post your misconceptions on this topic, it is necessary to stand up and tell you that you ... are... wrong....

Qutting does not matter.   Beating Dead Horse Smiley

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:43 PM

Snaike:
    WGT makes money with every round STARTED, with every shot HIT

... and the more multi-player games disintegrate due to quitting, the fewer shots are hit & the fewer rounds get started, because if you think someone whose multi-players collapse regularly will be enthusiastic about lauching the game frequently, you're wrong.

Snaike:
    Qutting does not matter.

It matters absolutely. There would be no harm if WGT employed one or several of the proposed penalties for quitters; such measures would only benefit the game.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:47 PM

This sight has, in all probability, lost far more customers over the requirement to spend real money to upgrade clubs than over people quiting in group play.

The ability of a hack or amateur to win enough to buy an upgraded driver is non-existent. Hacks will get to play about 3 or 4 rounds before becoming an armature. Then after about 6 more ranked rounds that armature is moved up to pro. Long before they can earn enough to but any clubs.

Hacks should remain hacks until they CONSISTENTLY score under 90 in 18 hole ranked rounds, or under 40 in 9 hole play. Amateurs should not be moved up to pro until they shoot par, or under, the majority of the time.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 1:55 PM

I agree with your views on tiers, Crusty56, though they currently serve to hijack this thread.  

Crusty56:
    Hacks will get to play about 3 or 4 rounds before becoming an armature.

Oh my! That would be quite a transformation!  

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 12 2009 2:02 PM

Not attempting to hijack anything. Only pointing out an opposing view on why people give up on this site.

Quitters are not even in the top 10 reasons.

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 2:06 PM

Usually lots of people i play take a bad shot and leave the game, but that doesnt bother me. They just need some practice and soon they wont be leaving every time.

• geeDub
    41 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 4:13 AM

I'm a bottom-liner sorta fella.  The bottom line about "quitters" is this:  People quit because they REALLY REALLY WANT to do better REALLY REALLY fast.  What better,  or shall we say EASIER,  way of being better than by just quitting and saving only our good cards?  None. 

People have noticed I have a "thing" about this as well oh sure ...you betcha.  However,  if you ask me if I've ever quit due to various reasons and not come back to THAT particular game....the answer would be an honest 'yes'.  But,  most often due to technical 'jaggedy meter' type issues that got me at plus 10 or worse before the 8th green.  That notwithstanding,  please allow me to vent a bit and jabber on and on about the subject at the risk of being called once again as I have by a fellow player the other night...."a chatty Cathy":

I think the subject of quitting has to be defined by the type of quitting being done....and many have already proposed the multi-faceted divisions of those types...ie., jobs, sleep, internet problems, phone ringing,  or whatever ...etc...blah.

Mr. Faterson obviously is expressing his very strong opinion words pertaining to my first paragraph.....which is unequivocally defining the lazy, cheating, cowardly trespasser of all things honest about the "pure" game of golf.  To be able to possess 'holiness walking about" must be the goal here....correct?  And you know what?  He's right!   In it's purest sense...that is indeed the superior goal of an honest game.  Right?  And ESPECIALLY so,  when somebody just disappears without the gentlemanly or lady-like attitude one SHOULD have.  What's wrong with just saying,  "I'm going to leave now,  I'm leaving because I ________ (fill in the blank) ,  thank you, buhBye" ...hmmm? 

You know,  there are other golf games out there that one can take as many "mulligans" as you want...or even control the ball "in flight toward the hole".  And trust me,  the sales figures of those games are monstrous.  Why?  Because it's EASY to eventually get good enough at finding "cheats" to play it to "GODLIKE" rating.  This game has it's way that is easy to cut corners too.  It's just that this game (when played with a smooth meter on a great computer with a fast connection and all the updated stuff)  is a whole heck of a lot more realistic  and thereby more FUN than any of those other ones......quitters or not.  Am I right about it guys and dolls?  So,  my final bottom line to the subject is play it however you want,  with whatever equipment you can afford, and at whatever levels you can attain with whomever you may play it with whenever you wish.   And please feel free to gripe about "cheaters" and praise the truly "skillful" at the same time.  Because the truth about how good somebody really is will come out in the big tournaments anyhow....right?   = )  ~gDub

• CBarkley
    13 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 12:49 PM

Surrrrre their computer freezes. Just happens to be on the last shot on the final hole.

RSS