Help › Forums

Club and ball suggestions for a new Legend

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 19 2015 1:28 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ShaylaRose
    96 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 3:35 PM

I know there have been a million posts on this topic - now there are 1,000,001! :)

Also, I understand that I am opening myself up to numerous critiques of my various shot %'s. I am aware that I have a LONG way to go to be good here. Comments welcome.

In any case: Any club and/or ball recommendations for me? I'm less concerned about distance, and more about control and putting. Yes, I need more distance but accurate  long- to mid-range iron shots are a clear weakness.

Cost is an issue, but I can always save up as required.

Putting: Ding putter

I would appreciate any serious suggestions - and be willing to laugh along with a few spurious ones!

Thanks and Cheers. 

ShaylaRose

• joemt825
    124 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 3:48 PM

Fastest, easiest change would be upgrading to the pro max ball.  It's longer than the one your using and the meter is much slower and steadier.  600 credits though.  : (

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 5:37 PM

Hey Shay, Congrats on the Legend Promo ! It is an honor. With a quick peek, your clubs look pretty fine, especially the wedges and mostly the putter...keep that putter. Woods and irons can always be improved upon till you hit the top. The ball gig is a $$$ issue for many, but most find a comfy match that doesn't fleece too badly, but in my eye the better, top balls are......well, better ;-}  

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 6:52 PM

I recommend switching balls. With such a low durability rating, your Tour GI-SD balls are actually more expensive than e.g. the Srixon Z-Stars (unless you tend to lose balls).

The L33 Callaway Hex Chromes are probably the best value overall. They're 250 credits a sleeve, which is pretty reasonable if you can earn enough credits to keep yourself afloat. A slightly cheaper option would be the Z-Star or Z-Star XV at 180/200 credits.

Your clubs, as SweetiePie said, are perfectly fine for you to play well. If you want one upgrade, make it your irons - a 3 iron that goes more than 210 can be quite valuable from Legend tees. All the top sets available to you have their strengths and weaknesses. Much depends on how well you can handle a fast meter; if you'd rather not, the VR Forged are your set. If you don't mind missing the ding wildly once in a while, the extra distance and spin of the R11 long irons is a game-changer.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:59 PM

The R11 irons make a real difference when paired with a slower meter ball that takes spin well. At 400 credits a sleeve the Volvik Crystal can do wonders. At 250 credits the level 33 Callaway is an awesome value but  it doesn't slow the meter like some of the more expensive balls.

You are still several levels away from the really top drivers so you are set unless you want to pick up a lower level version of the Bertha or the R15.

Since you are going to be making far more long iron approach shots, that is where you will need to focus. Much as they scare people with the fast meter, the R11's are going to be the choice until you can get the Nike forged at 97. Get them and learn to use them and you will see the difference.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 12:40 AM

Hey Shayla,

Congratulations are well deserved.  Legend is quite a milestone.  For what it's worth I came up with my own way to compare balls of different prices.  While it works on the principle of lower number =  better value, that's only from a cost point of view.  And you have to decide for yourself if greater distance, durability, meter speed, or more spin is most important to you.  It works like this:

(COST? BALL)  /  Dots of ball performance.

Your WGT TOUR G1 SD are 112cr/sleeve, or 37.33cr/ball  They have 6 dots of performance, So 37.33cr / 6 = 6.22 ball value factor (bvf)

WGT LEGEND G1 SD2 cost 120cr/sleeve or 40cr/ball  They have 7 dots of performance.  So 40cr / 7 = 5.71 bvf

Virtually all of the premium balls have a 2.5 durability rating, compared to a rating of 1.0 for your TOUR G1 SD.

Callaway Hex Chrome L33 at 250cr/sleeve have 11.50 dots of performance.  (83.33/ball) / 11.50 = 7.25 bvf.

Volvik Crystal L51 are 400cr/sleeve, or 133.33/ball.  (133.33)/ball / 13.50 dots  = 9.88 bvf.

Nike 20Xi - X (distance) L48 are the same as the Volvik, 9.88 bvf, while the L71 is 10.34

Nike 20Xi - S (spin) L47 are 10.26 bvf, while the L70 is10.71 bvf.

I've tried the Callaway, the Nike L47 spin balls, as well as the Volvik L51.  I had trouble with the Nike not holding the putt line, and the Volvik seems to have more rolling resistance.  I left way too many putts short.   The Callaway (I use the L37 Vapor ball, same specs) seems to work the best for me.  I took some test shots on Kiawah #2 under as equal conditions as possible, and I had the Callaway out drive the Volvik by 4 yards.  Surprisingly, I drove the WGT G13 S Vapor balls 290 yds in the same test.  It has no distance enhancements.  But I would guess that as a Legend you're now moved back to the longest tees and need some distance enhancement.   However, we all play the game a little differently, and so those results are just from my game.  I've thought about trying the Nike distance balls and see if it's better for my game than the L47 Spin ball.

If you have Scotts Pro shop spreadsheet, you can easily compare the performance specs of all balls sold on site.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Phred952

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 8:44 AM

Level 61 Nike.. For me this is best ball with R-11's or Nike irons....

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 9:59 AM

Good advice from Jresh.

• ShaylaRose
    96 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 10:50 AM

Thanks, Joe, for your response. There is no arguing with your putting stats! 600 credits is over my budget, but I will file your suggestin away when I hit the lottery. I appreciate your suggestion.

ShaylaRose

• ShaylaRose
    96 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 10:53 AM

Thanks, Sweetie. I guess I am trying to get by on grit and guile - too cheep to buy expensive balls! I will have to get over that...

ShaylaRose

• PAGES
RSS