Club and ball suggestions for a new Legend

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 19 2015 1:28 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 18 2015 11:26 AM

ShaylaRose:
    I guess I am trying to get by on grit and guile - too cheep to buy expensive balls!

Me, too, and I'm here to tell you you don't need expensive balls to compete. The 33 Callaway will give you more than enough to make your clubs do tricks like stopping on a dime, especially with those CGs.

More spin gives you more control than you're used to and I think it would pleasantly surprise you. If you compare the costs between yours and the Callaways I think you'll find they're actually pretty close with the Callaways being a better value.

Then there's the meter, too. Much slower than what you're used to and after you get over pulling all your shots at first, I think you'll find them quite easy to play. They forgive nice if you play smart with misses into winds and you don't need full back spin on everything. They adjust the distance really nice proportionate to the spin you use.

Try them, you probably have a sleeve buried in your bag someplace.  ;-)

• ShaylaRose
    96 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 10:36 AM

Thanks, Jim and thanks to all who responded.

Fairways and greens, folks!

ShaylaRose

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 11:39 AM

A word on the spin with those. It is most effective when you think of it as an adjustment for yardage more than how it makes a shot stick. If you know the carry of your clubs you will be able to control what happens after the ball lands. This is where you'll notice the biggest difference over the balls you're using.

For instance, if you had a club that carries 175 and rolls another 5, back spin would stop it at 175, partial back spin would slow that 5 extra yards down to something less and top spin would add to it. So just with partial spin you can control your yardages. Elevations and wind are additional factors.

Head winds are great stopping winds for approaches with partial back spin. I say partial because everybody likes to jam that ball dot down to the bottom and play from there, envisioning that marvelous dart 2" from the hole. LOL. Fun to dream about but let's get real.

Full back spin puts you in turbo mode where any mistake is exaggerated. Miss the ding by a little and suffer a lot. (<----source of a lot of rants.) This is where partial spin is your friend. Clubbing up and using partial back spin really takes advantage of high loft clubs like yours. The wind stands it up and it plops down. The back spin knocks the yardage down and stops the ball. The trick is to know the numbers.  :-) 

p.s., Courteney made a comment once about shots with top spin fall more than ones with back spin (paraphrased.) I've since paid attention to this and she was right.  

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 11:51 AM

YankeeJim:
     Courteney was right.  

:-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 12:52 PM

courteneyfish:

YankeeJim:
     Courteney was right.  

:-)

About the top spin versus back spin comment. Keep it in perspective.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Apr 19 2015 1:28 PM

YankeeJim:
    Courteney made a comment once about shots with top spin fall more than ones with back spin (paraphrased.) I've since paid attention to this and she was right.

Nah, they both fall the same, i.e. until they hit the ground!  ;)

• PAGES
RSS