Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT March event: Kiawah

Sat, Apr 4 2015 12:18 AM (134 replies)
  • Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Mon, Mar 16 2015 11:20 PM

One notorious laggard checking in with a 73.

I'll post the cards tomorrow Corwyn.  After a long day of ice-fishing and rum...sleep's about the extent of my capabilities right now.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 12:09 AM

Jerm65:
    One notorious laggard checking in with a 73.

I'm in exactly the same boat (or is that "pond" for ice-fishing?), Jeremy, lol. 

A 73 for me too... and it's got to be sleep next. Cards in the morning... zzzzzz

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 5:17 AM

Played my 2nd round and had a few good shots. Unfortunately my chip and pitch is incredibly bad with starter gear so score ended at 75. Still great fun and already looking forward to the next one!

Keep up the good job!

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 9:29 AM

Some nice putting set me up with the chance to achieve my bogey free goal, but a WGT Kiawah special with no view of the putt gave me a lip out 8 footer to drop one at the 11th. Not bogey-free, not under 70 = fail!!! Must try harder next month....thanks again C.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 11:34 AM

Very nice overall total Mags! I wouldn't be disappointed with a -3 clubhouse lead if I were you.

Here's the tale of my R1: some very good par save putting early on, but a round of some poor shot choices that led to my three bogeys, and had a couple of lip-outs. But there was a lot of luck too, so no complaints!

#1 R pin : tried bounce-on but well short, and dire flop shot 4yds short! but sunk 10ft save

#2  R pin : came up short again; poor pitch to 3yds; but saved with ding putt 8.6ft 

#3 L pin : way short again, pin high with pitch but wrong line, missed ding with 12ft par putt but lucky to just catch edge  

#4 R pin : poor choice of lay-up, left tricky 32yd distance, opted for long flop  and missed 8.8ft curler BOGEY

#5  B pin : downwind no chance to stop it; was late on 190 missed right, but managed great flop 

#6  R pin : nice dinged 190 for approach but shorter than expected and sunk beauty 21ft  BIRDIE

#7 R pin : overdid 3rd rolled a long way, and just lipped out from 11ft 

#8 F pin : big tail, pulled 170 ns try, hit reasonable pitch up 2yds short, dinged par save try but somehow left it short ... duh!  BOGEY

#9  F pin : dinged 2nd shot went left into rough and downhill lie (must have aimed poorly), aargghh, hit stick on 3rd, and misread 14ft downhiller  BOGEY

#10  F pin : played safely on to right side, and unlucky lipout 

#11  F pin : lucky mishit to 2yds, and holed 6ft putt for BIRDIE

#12 B pin : couldn't reach but nearly holed super pitch 

#13 L pin : dinged 2nd but was too greedy in aim, and it went strangely left and short, left difficult flop 2yds short, and missed 5ft curler  BOGEY

#14 R pin : dinged 3W off tee went well long and right, but trickled in a beauty 17ft downhiller  BIRDIE

#15 R pin : opted for lay-up short of downhill slope, and dinged 190fbs but went right. Held green but not enough break allowed with 18ft attempt

#16 R pin. Missed green right for safety, poor flop but made 6ft save

#17  F pin: Had a good chance, but missed from 19ft (rushed the read, as my minutes were running out to finish before midnight, lol!) 

#18 R pin : into the wind, couldn't reach. Saved with nice flop to 1yd 

I took note of the pin positions, which hopefully were the same for everyone in R1... and hopefully will all be different (for everyone) in R2. Shoe tried to set it up with all 'Easy' for R1 and all 'Hard' for R2 ... however, past experience suggests that wind direction may play a role in how the Game decides which is Easy and which is Hard. Anyway, I'm curious to see if we get consistent sets for all players.

On Merion, it seemed as if WGT had the capability to program Original and New pins, and certain tourneys were reliably set up as such. It would be a nice feature to have for events like this!

-----------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I've been talking with Shoe about a possible play-off event every quarter (as a sort of parallel to what will happen with the official, main Virtual Tour). 

The idea is to have the 3 winners of each quarter's monthly event play in a fourball, perhaps as well as the next highest finisher (relative to par) across the 3 events. I'm working on a spreadsheet to reflect the Tour standings across all the events this year, so that will show us who's in the running for the 4th place (if a fourth player is needed) [Essentially, I want the lowest player relative to par to qualify even if s/he didn't win one of the events].

The idea is that the event is Twitched (if one of the three or four participants has Twitch capability), and Shoe is willing to offer a bigger prize for such a play-off event.

I still need to figure which course it might be on (it would favor one of the winners too much to use a course already played in that quarter, so perhaps it will be the next course in the line-up), and obviously there are likely to be challenges in scheduling it if it is a fourball, but we'll do our best to make it happen.

• Ianzzz
    6,347 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 11:38 AM

Well, my second round was somewhere between useless and hopeless but stuck in and got a bonus wedge in on 14 for a birdie and two putts that hit the target - other than that was just poor. 

Ready for next month - thanks Corwyn for organising and all those who kindly are putting up balls as prizes

Ian

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 12:55 PM

Corwyn:

The idea is to have the 3 winners of each quarter's monthly event play in a fourball, perhaps as well as the next highest finisher (relative to par) across the 3 events. I'm working on a spreadsheet to reflect the Tour standings across all the events this year, so that will show us who's in the running for the 4th place (if a fourth player is needed) [Essentially, I want the lowest player relative to par to qualify even if s/he didn't win one of the events].

The idea is that the event is Twitched (if one of the three or four participants has Twitch capability), and Shoe is willing to offer a bigger prize for such a play-off event.

I still need to figure which course it might be on (it would favor one of the winners too much to use a course already played in that quarter, so perhaps it will be the next course in the line-up), and obviously there are likely to be challenges in scheduling it if it is a fourball, but we'll do our best to make it happen.

A playoff of some sort is a good idea. A 4-ball round is NOT, when starter clubs and UEL is involved!! How many people have 6 continuous hours to spare in a week, and then how likely is it you can get all 4 people to have the same spare 6 hours?

Two 2-balls might be just about bearable. 4 singles where all are required to record or Twitch would be even better, especially if all could agree on the same start time.

• thegoosebag
    2,264 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 4:42 PM

here goes

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 7:27 PM

2nd round in the books early. Since I was comfortable yesterday with the starters thought I might as well just keep playing with them before I forgot.

Some notable holes ;) but not really. Just worked my way around the course.

#8 - made 4.3 ft bird putt

#9 - played as a par 5, dinged driver and 3 wood unable to reach green

#10 - made 6.8 ft bird putt

#17 - full driver just barely cleared the water and rolled to 15 ft from pin.

#18 - played as a par 5, driver and a dinged 3 wood unable to reach green, but hit approach within 3ft and made the putt for a birdie 4 (par)  ;)

Corwyn: My round took over 90 minutes to complete. I agree with fmagnets....no way would I want to play a foursome of 18 holes UEL starters. Even if you use a short timer, then the idea would be to just hurry and hit the ball and don't worry what you score.

If you want a playoff, then just create another tournament and let everybody play.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2015 10:24 PM

ColumbusStorm:

the idea would be to just hurry and hit the ball and don't worry what you score.

Shhhhh, don't let my starter equipment strategy out of the bag!!!

RSS