Forums

Help › Forums

Questions??

Mon, Feb 8 2016 1:33 AM (29 replies)
  • NotFacebookCraw
    49 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2015 11:21 AM

Judging by the "LIKE" comment, I assume you might be referring to my "NotFacebookCraw" username.  My nickname is "Craw".  I originally signed on as "Craw" under a facebook account, but because of a browser setting or some arcane Facebook setting, I couldn't ever get the various clutter from Facebook off of the game screen.  So I logged on directly to the client and Used "NotFacebookCraw" to distinguish the two, thinking I would be able to change it.  Technically, I guess I'm a multi-accounter *GASP*.  I never actually played a round with the other account.

• Idiots2
    36 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2015 1:27 PM

Thanks, the one about the average uphill slope clarifies a little, but it sure can throw you off on putts.

Not sure I agree on the up hill both ways answer, just seems if you go in one direction with a right uphill 180 past the hole, coming back it should be uphill left.

The caddy thing was just a culmination of huge frustration and regret the dig at alanti.

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2015 4:48 PM

When this happens to you on a real course.then you will understand why.

navi

• Spider61
    6 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 10:29 AM

So - you cant play the game unless you purchase better clubs (can you say RIP-OFF)

Also -  you get to the green, have a 25ft fairly flat putt and the putting gauge comes up as 150ft - no matter how small your swing you hit it 30ft past.  Why doesnt the putting gauge come up as the 30ft gauge.   Seems no matter how well you real the wind, the swing level, the cl gauge --- the game is going to screw up one or two holes for you so you dont have a good score.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 8:50 PM

Spider61:
    So - you cant play the game unless you purchase better clubs (can you say RIP-OFF)

Yes you can - just a tad more practice than an average of two games per month might be a game-changer for you.

Of course, the game becomes much better with custom clubs and custom balls which aren't gratuit - I call it CAPITALISM.

Spider61:
    Also -  you get to the green, have a 25ft fairly flat putt and the putting gauge comes up as 150ft - no matter how small your swing you hit it 30ft past.
    This is when the ball lands on Fringe - change putter scale or club! Similar bad proposals when in rough around the green - a thorough check of the "environment" is an indispensable part of the pre-shot routine.

Note: Don't believe the auto-caddie - he's an old §$%&%$" bloke!

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 9:19 PM

Expanding on the "green undulations" reason:-

1. If the hole is basically at the top of the hill - expect an uphill putt, and then another uphill putt back again if you miss and go past. This makes perfect sense.

2. Similarly - if there is a hill on your left before the hole, and a hill on your right just after the hole --- then expect it to be a LtoR putt, and another LtoR return putt. Nothing crazy about that!.

3. The putter scale is not in feet!   Talking about a 60 ft scale is simply not correct. You need to factor the green speed and slope to work out what each scale means.

4. After determining the putting distance and power required --- half power will not necessarily get you half way.  If there is an uphill slope early and then a downhill slope late in the putt --- most of the power gets you half way, and then the remaining downhill portion is almost nothing - just getting it over the hill allows it to trickle down. So using the same power again because you only get half way would be misguided.

Then regarding some of the other items -- missing the DING (especially with the wind) will wipe out any other effects. Wind direction is relative to the camera angle - so if the camera is pointing down the fairway, but you are trying to cut the dog-leg at an angle of say 45 degrees to the line of the camera angle --- then the wind angle relative to the shot direction needs to be rotated 45 degrees also.  This can be enough to change the shot form a RtoL shot, to a LtoR shot, and vice versa, or a headwind to a tailwind effect.

If you put backspin on the ball - it will hold up into the wind and drop short. Sideways movement will also be exaggerated into the wind with backspin.

If you really feel hard done by with a particular shot --- save the replay and paste the replay link here in the forum, and experienced players will fall over each other to tell you (laugh at you - but what the heck - that's how we all learned this game) why it did what it did. General comments with insufficient detail can only be answered in this generic way - but if you provide specific shot replays it will make it much easier to explain.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2016 10:34 PM

Nitpicking remarks:

hakman123:
    1. If the hole is basically at the top of the hill - expect an uphill putt, and then another uphill putt back again if you miss and go past. This makes perfect sense.

While this may occur, often enough, the "down" arrow in the marker badge is misleading on small slopes. It may differ from unambiguous slope indications by the grid colours.

Players should examine the greens well, e.g. from reverse view!

hakman123:
    3. The putter scale is not in feet!  

Of course you are right to say that the actual putting length depends on the conditions, but the scale is in feet! Omitting the dimension may make it ambiguous towards the alternative:

(no fake, just rough)

(Rest snipped in agreement)

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 12:44 AM

the only other time that the putter scale is in yards is when you putt from the fairway. There a couple of spots @ St. Andrews where it is better to putt from the fairway than it is to chip pitch or flop.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 1:00 AM

I agree for the real thing, including other Links courses. I once read of a HIO with putter (in  heavy gale) on Eden course, St. Andrews!

Alas, does it also work on our STA course, online?

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2016 1:33 AM

borntobesting:

the only other time that the putter scale is in yards is when you putt from the fairway. There a couple of spots @ St. Andrews where it is better to putt from the fairway than it is to chip pitch or flop.

Only if you can't chip, pitch or flop !!!

RSS