Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Green Speeds, Help Plz

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 26 2012 7:01 AM (6 replies)
  • W000T
    104 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 1:38 AM

I'm interested in knowing the percent of each green speed to be hit distance wise.  If you have found a working speed percent, I'd like you to post them please.  For instance I've been playing very fast greens lots and found, that reducing 15% from your putt , will get the distance perfect.  The reason I want to know other speeds is, when I play with friends that are tour master and legend.

• ToddX61
    152 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 2:07 AM

I use:  (distance to hole - elevation in inches + 1) / putter max distance / putting speed where putting speed on

standard greens = 1
    fast greens = 1.1
    very fast = 1.2
    tournament = 1.3

so, with my putter at the 15 ft increment at 14 feet away with 2 in elevation on a tournament green = 14 -2 + 1 / 15 / 1.3 = 71.7% of putters 15 foot capacity.

(I found this in a post somewhere so thanks to whoever it was that originally posted it!)

• GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 2:21 AM

Fast = Divide distance by 1.1

Very fast = Divide by 1.2

Tournament = Divide by 1.3

Championship = Divide by 1.4

Adjust for elevation before dividing!

• W000T
    104 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 4:20 AM

GoldCard:

Thanks so much, goldcard.  I like your approach to distance finding.  And I can't wait to take this to the course.

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:11 AM

W000T:

GoldCard:

Thanks so much, goldcard.  I like your approach to distance finding.  And I can't wait to take this to the course.

This is a good starting point for flat puts Goldcard, I'd point out that short putts under 10ft. with any upslope at all play very much like the next SLOWER speed on the scale.

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:14 AM

Actual:

Fast = Divide distance by 1.o5

Very fast = Divide by 1.15

Tournament = Divide by 1.25

Championship = Divide dont know

• nyctc7
    159 Posts
    Tue, Jun 26 2012 7:01 AM

GoldCard:

I find that these figures work for me (with the caveat about putts inside of 10', and I've never played on a championship green)

However, I have a question about the two tournament speed greens. From what I've read Legend tournament speed is slightly faster, divide by 1.35

Questions:

When playing a Master-tier only Ready Go, and it indicates Tournament speed, does that mean 1.3, but if I am playing an All Players Ready Go, does that mean 1.35?

When playing any other kind of tournament with tournament speed greens, and the leaderboard is broken down by tier, does that mean 1.3, but if it is tournament where there is just one overall leaderboard, does that mean 1.35?  

RSS