Problems reading putts?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:04 AM (1 replies)
  • W000T
    104 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:15 AM

Then here is a tip for you:

DON'T THINK! Feeeeeel!

(Just imagine if Bruce was telling you to putt instead of kick like he was telling the boy in the video.)

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:04 AM

oh, you did it! you dropped Bruce on us.

most better players will tell you few things about putts:

1. don't always trust the grid, trust your memory...there are many holes where grid may not be useful. someone may ask why is it there then? well, grid shows overall movement on the green in general but it does not show green speed, wind, how you hit putts.

2. sometimes it's good to miss. if you have a 10-20fter that breaks a lot in 1 direction, i sometimes hit little late or early (opposite of break). why? well, in my view (and many will debate that), if you miss little on opposite side, it holds the line/break better (it breaks but breaks less sharply). now, i have had 100's of putts where i miss on high side, just how I want it and have it lip on the high side, so ya - it doesn't always work.

3. 90% of the putts outside 30ft, can't be made by reading the green. they are made by reading breaks, adjusting for speed and aiming always to be inside 1 ft...then once you get good at that, they will start falling. you will also start to remember some spots on greens where it shows 2-3 breaks but actually rolls straight.

so, ya, Bruce is right, you can't just concentrate on the finger (break), because u'll miss everything else just as important.

RSS