Forums

Help › Forums

L100 Nike Vapor irons post reviews here

Tue, Nov 17 2015 8:38 AM (113 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 12:00 PM

micheldess:
    After 2 days of play, i'm not impressed at all,  i prefer the nike irons level 97

FWIW what I see now that I have had the L100s a while now as some one who likes to use a fair bit of spin on many shots:

L90 Nike ball - works fine, just that I do not need all that spin with these irons, and neither do I need a meter that slow;  

First day this L90 ball seemed unplayable with them though, and cache etc clean up or not that was the case.  1 week later played as expect - Beats me.

L71 Nike ball - about the right speed meter iron wise, and plenty enough spin.

L61 Ball - Fine really. I just very personally prefer playing more spin than it offers;

L81 Ball - Currently what I am using.  Fine meter wise,and usually I am a little happier putting with it than the faster meter L71 ball (I use the L96 Versa putter)l.   Basically this ball teamed with the L100 Nikes feels very much like the L97s teamed with the 4.6 dot spin L90  ball, and the L81 is cheaper :).

Don't know what your style of play is, but if any of the above strikes a chord maybe switch to the L61, and see how it goes for a round or three?  Heck slower meter irons now and so the faster meter version L48 ball may feel even more similar? (cheaper still too).......Good luck with it, and think you will be pleased with them shortly (overall).

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 12:18 PM

The lvl 61 hasn't got enough spin on a few holes, like Cabo #2, going for the pin usually ends up in the back fringe which for me is the worst place to be on that hole...

FMagnets using the lvl 48 (a lvl 61w/ faster meter), I have a sleeve but it messed with my putting...my plan was to get the new cleveland wedges so all my clubs would be same meter speed, I still want to if they ever sort out the dots...

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 1:06 PM

Jimbog1964:

micheldess:
    After 2 days of play, i'm not impressed at all,  i prefer the nike irons level 97

FWIW what I see now that I have had the L100s a while now as some one who likes to use a fair bit of spin on many shots:

L90 Nike ball - works fine, just that I do not need all that spin with these irons, and neither do I need a meter that slow;  

First day this L90 ball seemed unplayable with them though, and cache etc clean up or not that was the case.  1 week later played as expect - Beats me.

L71 Nike ball - about the right speed meter iron wise, and plenty enough spin.

L61 Ball - Fine really. I just very personally prefer playing more spin than it offers;

L81 Ball - Currently what I am using.  Fine meter wise,and usually I am a little happier putting with it than the faster meter L71 ball (I use the L96 Versa putter)l.   Basically this ball teamed with the L100 Nikes feels very much like the L97s teamed with the 4.6 dot spin L90  ball, and the L81 is cheaper :).

Don't know what your style of play is, but if any of the above strikes a chord maybe switch to the L61, and see how it goes for a round or three?  Heck slower meter irons now and so the faster meter version L48 ball may feel even more similar? (cheaper still too).......Good luck with it, and think you will be pleased with them shortly (overall).

How do they play with the 33 Callies?  Your inventory's out of my price range.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 1:08 PM

MichaelStroke:
    How do they play with the 33 Callies?

Just fine.  That ball seems to play well with anything.  

And congrats on TL BTW:)

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 6:34 PM

Jimbog1964:

MichaelStroke:
    How do they play with the 33 Callies?

Just fine.  That ball seems to play well with anything.  

He has more 33 Callaways than the Pro Shop does. He won't see that little "this is your last ball, buy more?" pop-up for many, many years, lol. Oh, and he hits them extremely well, too, when he buys more than an iced tea ;-)

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:35 AM

I wanted to say something , but gave up!

most of those saying r11 is just as good.

test result  was 8 out of 10 had the vapors !

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2015 6:29 PM

Jim, i understand what you say with the level 81 nike ball, play like the the forged 97 alomost the same distance.

With no wind, like the ready go in kiawah, i still play solid (for me) with the vapors level 100, between 57 and 60 and often the right distance on my shots.

But with more wind i can't hit good, and don't find the distance. With the forged i was much closer from the holes when the wind was more important, don't uderstand.

I need to adapt and for now, i don't find the solution.

And i still  think if the meter of the forged was the same than the vapor, the forged is better for me.

But only my opinion

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2015 7:04 PM

Michel,

Just for clarity I was comparing the L97 irons / L90 ball to the L100 irons / L81 ball.

I see what you are saying with no wind.  However, with your just iron swap I think you would see any hint of HW seeing things come up very short if applying any BS, This is due to the extra spin in the iron, and assumes all else equal.  A strong TW can also lead to a greater flattening affect on ball flight (short again) with BS used, and any cross wind is exaggerated with a higher ball flight.  For me the increased spin of the L100s, and reduced spin of the L81 more or less averaged out to what I had with the previous combo.   Basically your new irons are playing like the old set with the L90 ball - just what I think.

I think if you bear all that in mind it will soon help you.  Alternatively swapping to the L61 ball with the new irons may average things out to what you had ? Just an idea that 1.  Dan said he found the L61 not stopping well enough on a couple of holes I realise.

Happy hitting, and feel you soon work it out as well as anyone, and then let me know the secret:)

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2015 8:23 PM

Ok Jim, if i find a little secret with fews shots with the vapors i say to you with pleasure.

But i  never will  be a top 100 player of wgt, i have weakness.

The  dings in général and the  dings putts too. This is why i switch rapidly to the level 70 versa and sadly left  the wonderfull toy in my bags, the so precise level 96 versa.

I missed  too many dings with the level 96 versa putter and with a so accurate and precise putter, the ball missed the hole of course, no mercy.

To return to the vapors, i will  try  to adapt with the wind. If i understand well the difference between  the forged and the vapors,  with the vapors i need to hit with more power  when i use backspin  with face wind  and little less with backwind than with the forged.

Sorry with my limited english i'm certainly vague in my explanations. That becomes a puzzle to be resolved to try to understand me.

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 7:01 AM

Spin is your friend since you won't be shortsided on any hole.

I use vapor 4.5 spin and the 5.0 spin RZN.

Just avoid playing full backspin in all circumstances and map your clubs with lets say Neutral, 25%, 50% and 80% spin or whatever suits you.

You also must be aware that sidewind has a larger effect on the ball using more backspin. Use an onscreen Ruler for aiming and know the rules for wind effect and the spinny balls can set you apart from the rest of the field.

The Vapor compared to Nike LVL97 is way better. And its the meter speed that does it, so if you have level high enough go ahead and buy straight away. Your misses wont be so severe since you overall will be closer to the ding in average.

RSS