Forums

Help › Forums

"A Bandon Hope!" - A Tough-It-Out Special Holiday Tourney at Bandon Dunes

Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:13 AM (153 replies)
  • MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 1:16 AM

Great total score and a well deserved win. Congrats Corwyn  :)

When will the next one start ;-)

Personally i think side wind is the best wind for starters and ul. Tailwind and the ball just wont stop and headwind...to many one putts need to be made.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 7:12 AM

fmagnets:
    Well done Corwyn on a hard-earned win. 53 is a great score when playing under the pressure of trying to defend a lead.

Thanks Mags and Mati!

Playing in the last group on the course in the final round is what it's all about, lol! For me, that's the most fun, if you can replicate the pressure of the back 9 of a major, and come through it nonetheless. Despite being par 3 only with relatively few UELs, that was quite the test for a TIO event.

I had a lot of fun... even with the pressure. Granted, some better putting would have given me a bit of a cushion, but I'd have missed some of the drama!

Congrats to you both on your under-par rounds and great overall aggregates: you set quite the target to chase! And congrats too to kman2009, JoeMaverick and KyRock75, all of whom broke par overall. In total, 8 players shot par or better... (Shoe, you should have trusted me and saved yourself a few sleeves in prizes, lol!)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 10:00 AM

Fantastic play Corwyn^. Had a feeling you would be the last one to finish.  ;)))

8 players at par or better is amazing considering the 2nd round was really a struggle of patience. Thanks to all the members who Toughed It Out with us again. We all moved away from the starter clubs ASAP but the silly things can play very well once you re-learn what they can and can't do. Course management is always the key to a decent TIO finish. This TIO Special had all the usual elements needed to end up a brain twister. Too high wind, too fast greens and too much trouble easily found if we gave into temptation and greed.

Overall the tourney was a blast and I'd really like to see WGT get behind the idea of offering us a Once A Month TIO Test. Same type format with 2 rounds of UEL a week each, single play, with built in Starter Club Restrictions.

~CD~

P.S. Can't wait to play Pebble Beach with Starter gear in UEL. ;)

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 10:08 AM

Fine shooting, Corwyn, and congratulations on your victory!  Glad to see you made it through R2 without a disaster hole.  I had two.

My birdies were a 23 footer on 4, a rehash of a shot that Corwyn and I had on Friday night on 15 where we learned that a dinged 3W might get really close or it might wind up in a nasty spot short, and a too-little-too-late 11 footer on 18 that at least got me over 100 feet of made putts for the round.

The penultimate holes on each nine were the killers.  I putted off the green on 8 when a big push caused a low miss, then shorted the return pitch due to an overabundance of caution and two-putted.  On 17, I pulled my drive into a bad but not hopeless lie in the bunker and misplayed the shot into an even worse lie.  My third hack was better, getting reasonably close before rolling to a still-tricky rest in the cabbage.  My up from there wasn't good either, but at least it was finally on, and I saved a triple with an 11-footer.

I did manage to make a couple of good recoveries:  A choked full LW after a terrible pull on 10 from 40/50 and a flop-and-roll from a downslope 30/40 lie on 7.  

Corwyn:
    Despite being par 3 only with relatively few UELs, that was quite the test for a TIO event.

I can testify to that!

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 10:25 AM

Corwyn:

Sorry it was so rough Inigo... but we don't call it Tough-It-Out for nothing, lol ;)

And I have to say, a bit of practice is highly recommended in these tourneys, otherwise you spend several holes just getting over the shock of how hard it is to figure out how to come by even a par...

FYI: your stats shots are missing the Putting tab (Driving appears twice).

Yeah, that was my bad not getting any practice rounds in.  I wasn't paying attention enough after I finished round 1, and I didn't realize the deadline was Jan 3rd LOL.  Surprisingly my biggest struggle wasn't the wind, it was the fact that nearly all tee shots were hit WAY too early, and my up and down game in unevens is nonexistant so I kept making doubles and triples after shanking it into no mans land. 

And I uploaded the correct putting card (I think) so you should have it now.  Not that it matters much, I don't think I was in the running for any prizes anyways after that disaster of a round 2.  Congrats on your victory, but the next time we play unevens from the tips I just may have to take a pass LOL.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 11:40 AM

Corwyn:
    whether or not we count 'saves' when the putter has been used, or whether the intent of the prize was to best recognize the skills of those who had to negotiate uneven lies rather than putt from the fringe.

Or what about putts from the fairway, which I did once?

Congrats Corwyn on 2 impressive rounds for the win.

• kman2009
    111 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 3:36 PM

Congratulations, Corwyn!

Well played, well earned victory - Last golfer on the course is not easy - successfully avoided pulling a Jean van de Welde!

• Daskino
    2,781 Posts
    Tue, Jan 6 2015 12:57 AM

Amazing performance, Corwyn. Congrats :)

(Looks like you'll be the best candidate for a Ryder wild card ;) )

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Jan 6 2015 11:16 AM

Thanks Russ, kman, Luciano!

Here is a final wrap-up of prizes etc...

Corwyn:
    WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 10 on the final leaderboard

Here is the final leaderboard:

LEADERBOARD PRIZES:

I asked Shoe if he could forgo the usual tiebreak distinction and award the top 12 a sleeve instead of just top 10 since there was a 4-way tie for 9th place, and he has very generously offered to do this. Thank you so much Shoe!!!

So, would the top 12 players please reply in this thread by Friday this week to let us know what sleeve Shoe should send you? I will complete this draft list below and send to him.

1  Corwyn       lvl71 Nikes

2  MatildaIgaly

2  kman2009

4  JoeMaverick    lvl71 Nikes tbc

5  KyRock75    lvl81 Nikes tbc

6  fmagnets     lvl61 Nikes  tbc

6  yarwlaup

6  Piirikas

9  Adalanar

9  poppypuppy

9  ianzzz

9  PTrenter

SPECIAL PRIZES: 

Corwyn:
    Ben (bhoese) has generously offered several sleeves in prizes. One sleeve each for the following:

1) Low score level 70 or lower (level at conclusion of tourney).

bhoese:
    The prize that I was offering for the best score by a player below L70 will go unawarded because unfortunately there were no such players in the field.  Instead, that sleeve will go to the next player who improves his or her score from R1 in the markedly tougher conditions of R2 and claims the prize here in this thread.

2) Longest putt made.

3) Number of saves. (total number of par saves through 36 holes, as shown on all cards)

And I will add to that prize pool, with a sleeve each for:

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation

5) Greatest overall total distance made putts.

We will welcome any other prize sponsorships you'd like to offer. Feel free to get creative, e.g. ctth on a particular hole, holes-in-one, Least Number of Bogeys or Worse, Most Number of Birdies, etc, etc, or add extra sleeves to any category already listed.

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share screenshots of your scorecard and stats.

SPECIAL PRIZE WINNERS:

Spreadsheet is here.

Here is a pic of the final standings for these prizes: right-click on the image to enlarge, and keep clicking until you get largest view

Note I've added a highlight in yellow on the box where that player won that category, and highlights in blue if they were next in the standings.

1) To the next player who improves his or her score from R1 in the markedly tougher conditions of R2 and claims the prize here in this thread.

No-one came forward to claim this prize! What's the matter with you folks--proof that it pays to follow the thread, lol. I think Ben intends to award it to cody6202000, who was the first to post an improved 2nd round score.

2) Longest putt made.

This goes to Young46, whose 41.4ft putt in the second round was our longest of the tourney. Did you save the replay... ?

3) Number of saves(total number of par saves through 36 holes, as shown on all cards)

This prize got a little complicated, as there are different ways to calculate this. I took Ben's intent as being to best discover who could handle UEL if they missed the green:

bhoese:
    This category is offered because it involves successfully dealing with uneven lies, and because one need not be a great player to have a chance to win it.

... in that respect, our clear winner was WigerToods2010, with a very impressive 7 one-putt saves.

However, AlaskanDame's achievement in making 9 saves overall from off the green (5 of which were 1-putt, the other 4 involving putts from the fringe or fairway), is also mighty impressive, and the 7 out of 7 saves of either kind in the first round nothing short of remarkable. I'm going to add a sleeve as a prize for her.

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation

Corwyn's failure to hit the green on the last hole (in both rounds!) cost him this category outright. As it is, the accolade is shared by ianzzz and Corwyn both with 80.5%. Ian's total of 78% in the second round conditions was outstanding! The sleeve goes to Ian!

5) Greatest overall total distance made putts.

This category was a bit of a no-contest, being won by Ben (bhoese) by the biggest margin ever seen in Tough-It-Out history! Moreover, his overall total of 276.15ft of total distance made putts is probably higher than in any of our 4-round events. He was just pouring them in from all over. Fantastic putting, Ben!

Would our Special Prize sleeve winners please also reply by Friday of this week to let Ben and I know what to send you!

cody6202000

Young46

WigerToods2010

AlaskanDame

ianzzz

bhoese

There were no sleeves on offer for other categories, but for interest's sake, kudos to Mags and Ben for recording the least # of putts (both had 57), and to Corwyn on posting the most Birdies (9 in total), and the least Bogies or Worse (3). 

No-one managed to get through without a 3-putt in their stats (as far as I could see), but we wouldn't offer that as a prize in TIO unless you managed it across a 4-round event (got to be a proper challenge, lol!). Ben, Corwyn, Mags, and Ian all got through with just one 3-putt.

Thank you everyone for taking part in this event. I did ask Shoe if we might make this a regular tourney running parallel to the VT each month and on the same course, and he replied enthusiastically:

"I don't see why we couldn't run something monthly along side the VT.  Prizes would be small like sleeves to top 3 or 5, but I can definitely set it up."

So, I'm very encouraged by that, and looking forward to suggesting a schedule as soon as we see what's coming up in the main VT Tour.

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Tue, Jan 6 2015 11:36 AM

lvl 81 nike thank you.

RSS