Forums

Help › Forums

Varying Wind Direction Calculations

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 18 2014 10:14 AM (9 replies)
  • MCH2
    36 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:44 PM

I was wondering how others calculate distances to the pin with varying wind directions.  I know there are formulas out there that say take off or add a certain amount for a 30 degree tailwind or a 60 degree headwind or full blown head or tailwind etc. What about wind directions that are in between a 30 & 60 tailwind or between a full headwind & a 60 degree headwind wind.  If a wind is between a 30 & 60 degree due you split the difference or just go with your 30 or 60 degree estimates?  Does every degree difference in wind direction have a unique value for you?

Thanks for any and all replies.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2014 5:09 PM

MCH2:

I was wondering how others calculate distances to the pin with varying wind directions.  I know there are formulas out there that say take off or add a certain amount for a 30 degree tailwind or a 60 degree headwind or full blown head or tailwind etc. What about wind directions that are in between a 30 & 60 tailwind or between a full headwind & a 60 degree headwind wind.  If a wind is between a 30 & 60 degree due you split the difference or just go with your 30 or 60 degree estimates?  Does every degree difference in wind direction have a unique value for you?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Try hitting a shot in practice mode , and aim what you think is  tail/head  vs. sidewind.

It does not take many shots to figure it out. 

it will not be the same result on every course , but will give you a rough guess

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2014 9:12 PM
    There is no calculation method for all wind conditions and rightly so. If you could work out every shot with a calculator then it wouldn't be worth playing.
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Wed, Dec 17 2014 10:02 PM

courteneyfish:
    There is no calculation method for all wind conditions and rightly so. If you could work out every shot with a calculator then it wouldn't be worth playing.

all can be done by looking at the screen ! 

Work hard and it will come to you! 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 12:31 AM

I've tried everything and it sure is tedious labor...I just use the trusty WAG discipline (WILD A$$ED GUESS)

• Victoria47
    629 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 6:29 AM

.....LOL

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 8:12 AM

I found the best thing to do, well for me anyway, was to find someone who is really good playing wind. Someone with lots of videos posted... Can't remember who I used now.. Some English guy on here.... ;)

I just made notes with respect to the tricky wind shots, high winds, with those weird direction indicators and when I played in high winds I'd use which one was closest and adjust from there.

Seemed to work pretty well, worked better than the original "WAG" method which SP mentioned. I think mine was a previous version judging by my results. 1.0 maybe?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 8:22 AM

dedBuNNy:
    Seemed to work pretty well, worked better than the original "WAG" method which SP mentioned
    I now use something suitable...I don't play in heavy wind ;-}

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 9:58 AM

courteneyfish:

Oh yes there is and the game is still worth playing..

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 10:14 AM

Lizard69:

courteneyfish:

Oh yes there is and the game is still worth playing..

Well - That happened.... LOL

RSS