Forums

Help › Forums

How the hell do you chip ?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 10 2014 12:31 PM (31 replies)
  • Ollybman2o
    2 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 12:05 PM

Love this site.  The only thing keeping me from being good is the short game.  Let's say you are stuck at the bottom of a hill and are 30 yards from the pin but 20 of it is hill.  It always takes me two or three shots to get up a hill.  Even I switch to full-I can never get enough loft on the shot.  Would love to figure this out !

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 12:57 PM

Use either flop, pitch or punch . The chip should only be used when no more than 5 ft from the green . Use the practice setting and the mulligan feature to learn these shots . Also use the starter ball if possible as premium balls cost you 2 strokes on the ball when using the mulligan . Hope this helps. :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:20 PM

Ollybman2o:
     Let's say you are stuck at the bottom of a hill and are 30 yards from the pin but 20 of it is hill.

It sounds like you might be talking about a shot that was 30 yards away and 20 feet (?) up. If that's the case you would need to convert that 20 feet into yards and add that to the shot distance and hit it for about 37 yards in your example.

What you have to know is that a chip is more roll than carry and will slow down in a hurry if you try to use it going uphill. The pitch is a little better because it's in the air longer but it's still going to stop in a hurry too when it hits the slope because then it's rolling uphill.The punch is a pretty good alternative because you can play to the top of the slope and it will carry it. You just have to know how to punch.

If you really want to see a big difference now, replace your starter wedge with the CG 64W  to match what you have and then get a 3rd CG (60W) to carry instead of that hybrid. 3 good wedges, matched with even gaps and using all the shots with them is the ticket to a good short game.  GL

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:53 PM

To flop, pitch, chip and punch , you need good wedges

look up some of the many good threads about this in the search , there are many tips.

Also youtube has some great tips on those shots.

Sadly with starters it is all a bit random.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 5:16 PM

Ollybman2o:

Love this site.  The only thing keeping me from being good is the short game.  Let's say you are stuck at the bottom of a hill and are 30 yards from the pin but 20 of it is hill.  It always takes me two or three shots to get up a hill.  Even I switch to full-I can never get enough loft on the shot.  Would love to figure this out !

Try practice mode and use the mulligan feature.  Start with the power you think you need then slowly add a little more using the mulligan.  That should give you a good starting point on figuring out how hard you need to hit your wedges.

- WGTdbloshoe

• SamanthaWho
    3,403 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:56 PM

If you are going to practice shots using the mulligan feature, make sure you do so using starter balls. Each time you use the mulligan it's 2 shots off the life of the ball.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 7:18 PM

SamanthaWho:

If you are going to practice shots using the mulligan feature, make sure you do so using starter balls. Each time you use the mulligan it's 2 shots off the life of the ball.

great for saving expensive ball life, but you really cant go by the roll of a starter compared to the nike balls.

Find your ball of choice and get to know it !

I have 3 different stats for 3 nike balls.

using the mulligan is expensive, but will pay out in the long run.

• NorCalMega
    179 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 8:20 PM

YankeeJim:
    If you really want to see a big difference now, replace your starter wedge with the CG 64W  to match what you have and then get a 3rd CG (60W) to carry instead of that hybrid. 3 good wedges, matched with even gaps and using all the shots with them is the ticket to a good short game.  GL

This along with practicing with your gamer

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 8:40 PM
    For me 30 yards away would be a percentage full shot every time. You just need to know your wedges.
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 11:51 PM

courteneyfish:
    For me 30 yards away would be a percentage full shot every time. You just need to know your wedges.

as Ms.Fish says , it comes down to knowing where your wedges land ! 

Full, punch , pitch , flop and chip ! 

key word is practice rounds!

RSS