Help › Forums

How the hell do you chip ?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 10 2014 12:31 PM (31 replies)
  • alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 11:55 PM

Ollybman2o:
    Let's say you are stuck at the bottom of a hill and are 30 yards from the pin but 20 of it is hill.  It always takes me two or three shots to get up a hill.  Even I switch to full-I can never get enough loft on the shot.  Would love to figure this out !

All that has been said is valuable advice, but most of them do not take your equipment into account. As a lvl 60 player, you have some good equipment in your bag and expensive balls, but your wedges have room for improvement.

The Starter LW (and the lvl7 Cleve to some extent, I assume) is a low quality club with low trajectory and low precision. It's of no use hoping to play them high, even a flop is only a half-assed pitch. The Starters' behaviour with less than 80% power is almost unpredictable, given that we don't hit the ding each time.

Using good balls to dial them in with Mulligans IMHO is a waste of credits and time.

My 2 Pfennig: Get rid of it, and discard the Starter Hybrid, too. Three lvl 38/39 ATV wedges of 50, 77 and 98 yds (or at least the shortest) may be the best for you now - make a wish to the Days of Christmas if you like...

Second point is the choice of shot. From 30 yds in the auto-caddie invariably gives the wrong advice to chip. This will only work on flat or downhill lies, and if the ball hits fringe or green after the short flight. With good clubs, pitch or flop are available, but with yours it's only punch or full shot for a realistic chance - accept the outcome...

For the situation that you describe I'm with Courteney: Full shot, reduced power, respect the low trajectory.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 2:43 AM

alosso:

Ollybman2o:
    Let's say you are stuck at the bottom of a hill and are 30 yards from the pin but 20 of it is hill.  It always takes me two or three shots to get up a hill.  Even I switch to full-I can never get enough loft on the shot.  Would love to figure this out !

All that has been said is valuable advice, but most of them do not take your equipment into account. As a lvl 60 player, you have some good equipment in your bag and expensive balls, but your wedges have room for improvement.

The Starter LW (and the lvl7 Cleve to some extent, I assume) is a low quality club with low trajectory and low precision. It's of no use hoping to play them high, even a flop is only a half-assed pitch. The Starters' behaviour with less than 80% power is almost unpredictable, given that we don't hit the ding each time.

Using good balls to dial them in with Mulligans IMHO is a waste of credits and time.

My 2 Pfennig: Get rid of it, and discard the Starter Hybrid, too. Three lvl 38/39 ATV wedges of 50, 77 and 98 yds (or at least the shortest) may be the best for you now - make a wish to the Days of Christmas if you like...

Second point is the choice of shot. From 30 yds in the auto-caddie invariably gives the wrong advice to chip. This will only work on flat or downhill lies, and if the ball hits fringe or green after the short flight. With good clubs, pitch or flop are available, but with yours it's only punch or full shot for a realistic chance - accept the outcome...

For the situation that you describe I'm with Courteney: Full shot, reduced power, respect the low trajectory.

if you go with that option , then you have one .

But you have to learn them all.

It will make a difference when you get there , trust me ! 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 5:42 AM

courteneyfish:
    For me 30 yards away would be a percentage full shot every time. You just need to know your wedges.

This is a fact. With any 50 yard lob wedge & any ball, it remains a fact.  

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:26 AM

SweetiePie:

courteneyfish:
    For me 30 yards away would be a percentage full shot every time. You just need to know your wedges.

This is a fact. With any 50 yard lob wedge & any ball, it remains a fact.  

Up until recently I would have agreed 100% but on some of the trickier greens I can get more reliable results with a punch.

Only now and again but worth keeping in mind. 

Did I just give an honest opinion on a golfing matter? Sorry peeps, normal service shall return immediately!

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 6:39 AM

PaulTon:

Up until recently I would have agreed 100% but on some of the trickier greens I can get more reliable results with a punch.

Did I just give an honest opinion on a golfing matter? Sorry peeps, normal service shall return immediately!

Idiot found ^^^

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 8:09 AM

PaulTon:

Well, sure Paul, you are right...another fact ;-} I stated what I did (via CF) as it may best relate to the OP, OlllyragB who has been here since Sept 2014, and as a basic rule to have as a foundation.   Nice shoes!  ~ SP ~  

• sarak362336
    1,597 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 9:10 AM

I never understand why a player is using a 600 credit ball with a starter wedge.......

A wedge is for life, a ball only good till the next water hazard.   

Seeing as it's xmas I'm sending the OP the level 39

TaylorMade ATV 64° Wedge

Hopefully he will see the difference.

btw - 20 x CC passes in 2 days = 2 new wedges.......

• IrmaLamy
    2,981 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 9:11 AM

Get better wedges, practice by playing ALT and get ride of the hyb for those 3 wedges.

You'll see a big diff by X-mas

Enjoy

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 9:50 AM

sarak362336:
    A wedge is for life, a ball only good till the next water hazard.   

LOL, nice one!

sarak362336:
    20 x CC passes in 2 days = 2 new wedges.......

A variation of the 'golden putter' equation?  :)

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2014 10:41 AM

sarak362336:
    btw - 20 x CC passes in 2 days = 2 new wedges.......

So, not buying passes should give me 740 cr per day? I have followed this for many months, and I'm still not a credit millionair - what did I miss?? ;)

RSS