Help › Forums

Buy a decent putter.. It is worth it

rated by 0 users
Sun, Nov 21 2010 7:47 PM (53 replies)
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 10:33 AM

x1524807:

Sorry Liz, that redwood putter has a laser in the ball and a magnet in the cup. If you watch the putt go in, you see a funny drop, like a magnet pulling in the ball. I have witnessed people with very little skill sinking long putts, that you would never do with a reg putter.

That is what YOU think - I wish it was anything like that. There are less deviations (the ball ends up approximately where you aimed it) but you still have to judge the breaks and elevation just like you do with the starters. Unlike the starters there are less "weird results"

I have been using it for two weeks and it has taken half a stroke off my average - thats all.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 12:00 PM

"I counted them many many times and always came up with the same thing one of us is wrong i will admit but as I putted so well with it in the higher scales I donn't think it is me but I am willing to be proven wrong. Bit I nailed so many putts with the 90 foot meter is seems unlikely."

Well the increments on my starter and beginner are one more than those in the US of A it seems.Maybe its the same for the expensive(but not any different...) putters?

Or maybe its one less,but definitely a different number,I also read about this somewhere in the forums,perhaps on the Putting tips thread.

Anyway,Im all done with that shizzle now.Ive fit my starter with one of those lasers,and invested in teentsie weentsie magnets in every hole.After that all I have to do is read the lie to within a micron of its life,judge absolutely the correct distance and whether my playing partner has recently passed wind,and then smack it big time and hope for the best.Works for me.I get putting practice on EVERY hole now,who needs a putting green.Aren't these new protected averages great?

Still say its all hype though...

Lizzie

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 12:33 PM

borntobesting:
    I counted them many many times and always came up with the same thing one of us is wrong

What you both missed was what Nivlac said about the numbers. He advised that WGT has never dealt with fractions and the numbers you use should be whole. It may have been in another discussion about the Putting Guide.

FWIW I use a base set of numbers for each scale. Putting will eventually become a feel thing for you so you'll wind up using whatever numbers you use for estimates to get close. Knowing the difference between the green speeds will help you adjust this "feel."

For instance, with the Redwood  I use 8  8  12  16  20  40  for my "base" numbers on Very Fast greens. I don't change these for the Tournament greens, I just adjust the move. Where 1 move on the 45 scale on VF greens would be 12, on Tournament greens 12 would be just before the first move. After a while you'll find this is where the feel is developed.

What is just as important as knowing your putter is knowing how the different green speeds handle uphill/downhill. A lot of complaints about putting come from players they don't factor in how the slope affects the speed. Just doing straight math by adding or subtracting the elevation change on a green isn't enough on the faster greens. What happens to the ball after it starts rolling can make a huge difference if you miss long and it's downhill. It's almost like the ball will accelerate whereas going uphill it seems to slam on the brakes.

The attributes of the Daytona and the Redwood are as good as they get. Buying one , or any of the others, isn't going to  make you a good putter. You are going to make you a good putter by realizing how to use it.

@x1524807-You probably should include a disclaimer when you proffer your opinion. Not everybody realizes you haven't spent dime one and think that those that do are cheating. ;-)

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:11 PM

mohuyu:
    I have been using it for two weeks and it has taken half a stroke off my average - thats all

hard to figure halfs, but if you say so, ok. That putter will take 5-8 strokes of your game, probably before the month ends. When you first started playing this game you did not hit a home run, but after a week or two the strokes started coming down, same with this putter, it is the master cheat of all time, equal to me getting a doctorate on the internet as soon as I pay my $2000

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:13 PM

b0geybuster:
    It is being sold as more precise, 50% more precise then your current putter.  As well as 40% higher in balance.  Which essentially means less deviations and a more true roll.  

thats what i thought i said

• borntobesting
    9,634 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:19 PM

YankeeJim:

borntobesting:
    I counted them many many times and always came up with the same thing one of us is wrong

What you both missed was what Nivlac said about the numbers. He advised that WGT has never dealt with fractions and the numbers you use should be whole. It may have been in another discussion about the Putting Guide.

FWIW I use a base set of numbers for each scale. Putting will eventually become a feel thing for you so you'll wind up using whatever numbers you use for estimates to get close. Knowing the difference between the green speeds will help you adjust this "feel."

For instance, with the Redwood  I use 8  8  12  16  20  40  for my "base" numbers on Very Fast greens. I don't change these for the Tournament greens, I just adjust the move. Where 1 move on the 45 scale on VF greens would be 12, on Tournament greens 12 would be just before the first move. After a while you'll find this is where the feel is developed.

What is just as important as knowing your putter is knowing how the different green speeds handle uphill/downhill. A lot of complaints about putting come from players they don't factor in how the slope affects the speed. Just doing straight math by adding or subtracting the elevation change on a green isn't enough on the faster greens. What happens to the ball after it starts rolling can make a huge difference if you miss long and it's downhill. It's almost like the ball will accelerate whereas going uphill it seems to slam on the brakes.

The attributes of the Daytona and the Redwood are as good as they get. Buying one , or any of the others, isn't going to  make you a good putter. You are going to make you a good putter by realizing how to use it.

@x1524807-You probably should include a disclaimer when you proffer your opinion. Not everybody realizes you haven't spent dime one and think that those that do are cheating. ;-)

Jim I didn't miss it it's just that it seems to work for me. I am putting so much better since I went to that system. The only time i putt badly now is when I try to baby the shorter putts. If I bang the short ones I putt well. It's just reading the greens and sometime believing in what I read. Because sometimes I'll read a huge break then think it can't possibly break that much and play less break and then watch it break just like I read.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:23 PM

borntobesting:
    The only time i putt badly now is when I try to baby the shorter putts. If I bang the short ones I putt well.

LMAO-Dude, this is sooooo me. Them damned little ones psyche me out to no end. :-D

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:28 PM

really you thought you said that?

x1524807:

speedyschic:
    lol.. all psycho-babble aside, it works. Whether it be mental or physical, it has definitely improved my game.

lol, nothing mental, putter is sold as being 40% more accurate

x1524807:
    hard to figure halfs, but if you say so, ok. That putter will take 5-8 strokes of your game, probably before the month ends. When you first started playing this game you did not hit a home run, but after a week or two the strokes started coming down, same with this putter, it is the master cheat of all time, equal to me getting a doctorate on the internet as soon as I pay my $2000

How about you read my other post with the information provided?  

Enlighten me how having a putter relates to getting a doctorate on the internet?  It seems to be that you are misinformed, mislead, and just missing the point.  

Cheers,

b0gey

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:32 PM

b0geybuster:
    How about you read my other post with the information provided?  

b0gey-Understand what you're dealing with. It read your post , it's just looking to get your knickers in a twist. Don't waste your time, what I said above about it was right on. 

In case you're wondering about the "it" it's because there's considerable doubt about the gender of this particular poster, this being the umpteenth ID it's had.  :-)

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sun, Nov 7 2010 2:45 PM

That's weird, not too many people know I wear knickers!!!!

Thanks for the info Jim, will not waste my time.

Cheers,

b0gey

RSS