Forums

Help › Forums

Web Development Help

Thu, Nov 18 2010 12:23 PM (21 replies)
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 1:28 PM

Here is what I'm trying to do:

Use this (Qwicks for JQuery) as a main menu, and have CSS-driven submenus spawn out of it.

I've been able to accomplish this with some success, but the problem is that the submenu is bounded by the size of the Qwicks for JQ menu list items (e.g. in qwicks.css, #example3 .kwicks li{width: 250px;} ) :

This is just a dummy example, but you get the idea.  (Oh, and by the way, the reason Sub Menu Item 2 is highlighted orange is because that's where my mouse was.)

If anybody can find a way to allow me to use CSS-driven submenus and not resort to (1) javascript or (2) making the main menu li's huge and using a transparent .PNG, expanding div far enough to the right to make it seem as though it is working, but screwing up the z-order, in order to get this to work, that person can expect a large amount of equipment gifts from me.   :D

Note: Removing overflow: hidden; from .kwicks li{} yields the proper result, but the submenu gets cut off once again (like it is above) if you move the mouse, and it never comes back unless you refresh the page.  The problem most likely lies in the jquery.kwicks-1.5.1.js code.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Nov 1 2010 1:59 PM

Good news, I think.  I just got it working in firefox, so it works! (I hope.)

Anyone know where I can pot the web site to, so you guys can test to see if it works?  Geocities is dead, so I can't use that anymore. :(

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 5:15 AM

CRH,

Will this help?

and did ya know frames will no longer be supported in html5?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Nov 2 2010 7:34 PM

VanHalenLover:
    CRH,

Will this help?

I'll check it out.  Every free web hosting site that I went to was either wanting your full name & address (even telephone number, etc.) or just some myspace-like gimmick, so I gave up on that.  lol.

The "fix" that I originally thought was going to work didn't, but no biggie.  The problem was that the CSS menus broke if javascript was enabled (on top of the truncation problem, mouseover was somehow lost if you moved your mouse over on top of them, and they would disappear as soon as you moved off of the main menu to the sub menus), so if javascript is enabled, I'm just going to wipe out the CSS menus with .innerHTML and make a different class for javascript-generated menus.

VanHalenLover:
    and did ya know frames will no longer be supported in html5?

Thanks for the heads-up, but the web page won't be using frames.  I'm not a web developer, but I've read here and there about what is going to be made obsolete in HTML5.  I can't remember everything, but yeah, I think I'd read that.

What I am definitely not happy about is the loss of <center>.  I wanted to put a dummy image in the center of my content div, so I tried <center> only to find out that FF does not support it.  I know about using the text-align:center style, but I haven't bothered to look how to put images in the center (without javascript, of course.)  TBH, I don't understand why they have to rename everything and remove stuff that worked fine.  I liked <center> and <font>.  Seriously, why get rid of <font>?  Just to change it to something more modular and abstract?   To make me create a <span> and force me to type more?  Dumb.  All I wanted to do was change the font size, but now I have to type <span style="font-size:8"> instead of <font size=8>.  And I saw that <u> is getting the axe too.  What is the best alternative? <span style="text-decoration:underline">?   Give me a ****ing break.  Sounds like they want people to quit using notepad/wordpad to make web pages and force them to buy Front Page, etc.  And you just know that on top of having to type those extra letters over and over and over and over and over again, you're going to misspell stuff here and there -- like make one of the "s a ' instead... and then you might have to spend ten minutes figuring out why your entire web page looks like it got hit by a tornado or why your script quit working all of a sudden.

I hate w3c almost as much as I hate Microsoft for terrorizing the web dev world with IE.  If Microsoft had to pay for all the man-hours spent by web developers trying to get their **** browser to ****ing work, they'd probably have to declare bankruptcy.  But nope... they were more than willing to **** web developers out of literally tens-of-millions of man-hours for an extra 1% on their revenue.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 8:58 AM

Tried "Webs.com" Char?

Aka Freewebs,www.freewebs.com/

I run a site there under my own name,but maybe it wouldnt quite support your tech requirement if youre into it so deeps.

Best Of British anyways,Pip!Pip!

Lizziex

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:01 AM

CharlemagneRH:
    What I am definitely not happy about is the loss of <center>.  I wanted to put a dummy image in the center of my content div, so I tried <center> only to find out that FF does not support it.

CRH,

<div> containers can be nested, and work in Firefox. If you nest, for instance,

<div>

body stuff

<div align=center>

<table>

table stuff

</table

</div></div>

It will center table element when nested inside the external <div> tag.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2010 9:45 PM

VanHalenLover:

CharlemagneRH:
    What I am definitely not happy about is the loss of <center>.  I wanted to put a dummy image in the center of my content div, so I tried <center> only to find out that FF does not support it.

CRH,

<div> containers can be nested, and work in Firefox. If you nest, for instance,

<div>

body stuff

<div align=center>

<table>

table stuff

</table

</div></div>

It will center table element when nested inside the external <div> tag.

Good point.  Hadn't thought of that.  Of course, that brings me back to my point of w3c making it harder and harder to make web sites in notepad.

My problem with the menus, by the way, is fixed.  I basically just added code into Kwicks to hold the menu open, and then I added code to track mouse movement -- if it is over the Kwicks menu or over the submenus (i.e. if the event.target/srcElement's className is something associated with either of those two), it does nothing, but if it is over anything else and a submenu is open, it closes the submenu.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 10:17 AM

CRH,

Have you tried MS Visual Studio at all? Very handy editor for web development. Not only can you select which schema to have it validate for, but it also uses auto-suggest, which is nice. Even allows you to display in design mode on the fly. Also nice, but that doesn't help when testing for different browsers. (You can still create in notepad if you wish, or create right in VS)....

Glad to hear you got your menu problem resolved. Javascript could have handled that for you also, but I know you weren't looking for that. I've never used Qwicks or JQuery so that was out of my league. 

Any luck finding somewhere to host?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 12:32 PM

VanHalenLover:
    Have you tried MS Visual Studio at all? Very handy editor for web development. Not only can you select which schema to have it validate for, but it also uses auto-suggest, which is nice. Even allows you to display in design mode on the fly. Also nice, but that doesn't help when testing for different browsers. (You can still create in notepad if you wish, or create right in VS)....

If you mean MS VS.NET, I have it, but I've never bothered to learn it, to be honest.  I've also got MS VB6 and, of course, the gcc compiler, which are what I use.  I'll have to try .NET sometime.  I got it years ago in college for only $70 when the MSRP was ~$900.  :D

VanHalenLover:
    Glad to hear you got your menu problem resolved. Javascript could have handled that for you also, but I know you weren't looking for that. I've never used Qwicks or JQuery so that was out of my league.

It's also out of my league, seeing as how I have very little javascript experience, but I'm very good at adapting.  I couldn't make Kwicks myself, and I don't even understand all of it even though it's right there for me to read, but I could still manage to change it up a bit and get it to work how I wanted it to, so that's good enough for me!

VanHalenLover:
    Any luck finding somewhere to host?

Not yet, no.  I purchased two domains, but haven't looked into who I should use to host them.  I'm not up and running just yet, though, so I figure it's not a my #1 priority, though I will have to get that decision taken care of within the next month or so.  I'm currently juggling a few different things -- electrical work @ home (outside wiring is a mess and some *** electrician swapped the pool pumps from 240V to 120V, which is unsafe for the wires, and he didn't even bother to change the labels in the service panel -- the pool pumps are not on the "POOL" breaker, so when I first started looking at it, I flipped the "POOL" breaker only to find that the wires in the back were still hot), pool equipment work @ home (installing a VFD-controlled [variable-speed] pump), installing a new water heater and other gadgets @ home, the web site (framework and GUI-related graphics are finished, but there is no actual content, which is going to include ~40 pages of text, diagrams, and a few mildly complicated webforms), getting the business operational (equipment, contracts, etc.), etc. -- but hope to have everything finished by the end of the month, including hosting.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2010 11:06 PM

VanHalenLover:
    <div>

body stuff

<div align=center>

<table>

table stuff

</table

</div></div>

I just tried this, by the way, and it doesn't work in FF3.6.12 if you use style="align:center"W3CSchools says that the align property is deprecated and not supported by certain DOCTYPE's.

However, if you use simply align=center or style="text-align:center", it works!  But for how long?  When are these methods going to be made obsolete, and WTF other reasonable alternative is there?

Unbelievable... lol.

RSS