Forums

Help › Forums

I've saved and saved but when should i start buying?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 20 2014 11:24 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Salute7
    3 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 10:59 PM

I've followed advice in the forums from veteran players on don't spend right away. save, save, save. So I've earned 8400 credits doing a little of everything (video's, survey's, etc.) while playing with starter clubs trying to improve each round. I'm trying to get my experience high enough to find a good entry point to begin spending on new clubs. So I originally set the following clubs as my goal to begin purchasing once I attained XP 48.

Driver: 48+ Taylor Made R1

3 Wood: 41+ Taylor Made R11S 3

Irons: 54+ Ping G25 (i'm currently level 48)

Wedges: Cleveland Wedges 31+ 64, 29+ 60, 27+ 56

Putter: 33+ Odyssey Versa #1

However, now that i've hit my goal of 48XP  I'm wondering should I continue to be patient, build my XP, and concentrate on acquiring even better clubs than those listed above?

Do I need to set my goal even higher now?

Any thoughts shared would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and god bless!

• mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 12:35 PM

Driver: Will take you to Legend

3 Wood: G25 has a slower meter and goes 8 more yards for 150 less credits.

Irons: Correct, but are L59, not L54. The old G20s were are 54 for a limited time though.

Wedges: I'd switch the back 2 for the 77yard ATV (L39) and the 50yd brother, to give you more options, as the CG16 is 83-84 punched, as well as the ATV would be about 64 yards - too close for the 64W CG. Same price though.

Putter: Most do that, I chose the L35 Ghost Spider, since it was cheaper.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 2:48 PM

Salute7:

No.  It's time to start getting some good sticks and enjoying the game.

All the clubs you have listed are the same ones I used to get to Legend except the wedges (I used the ATV's L38, 39) and the putter (L35 ghost spider).. Wait until L70 for the Versa putter, unless you have credits to burn.

It's gonna seem like forever before you get to L59 for the Ping irons, but hang in there.. as close as you are now, no need to waste credits on anything else.

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 5:00 PM

Salute7:

you should, but while you do that, get the good stuff you can now,
    playing starter clubs too much will discourage you fast.

get the longest driver and 3W you can,
    the irons and wedges w/ most spin,
    and putter to your liking with good balance and forgiveness stats
    then run with that set up until you reach the 90's levels,
    by then you'll be a completely different player, and you'll know
    exactly where to take it from there. good luck.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 7:03 PM

If I were you , I would wait until you reach level 58 then start your upgrades .  That will give you a broader selection of clubs from driver to putters . If you can wait until the G25s then you can buy the full set , sell back the hybrid add 3 wedges and a good putter . Also you will find that the Ping wedges are good wedges as well and they wont break your bank either .

So if you can wait then do so . Continue to build your credits until then and the worse that can happen is that you will get better clubs in the end .

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 9:48 PM
    No need to buy it all at once. I'd go for the R1 driver and a couple of ATV wedges to start. A 50 yard wedge will help you most.
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 11:50 PM

I think the advice you've been given so far is pretty much on the mark, as is your own shopping list.

I agree about the G25 3 wood, probably.  The R11s has a lot more forgiveness, at this stage you don't know whether hitting the ding will be an issue, everything is going to be new so it's a bit of a gamble.

Personally I'd go for the ATV wedges al L39 instead of Clevelands.  The specs are the same but the ATV 64 hits 50 yards which is, in my opinion, a bit more useful.  Get three of them and drop the hybrid.

That little lot will set you back close to 9,000 credits but you'll have to wait a bit for the irons so will have time to save some more.

What hasn't been mentioned is a ball.  If you can keep the credits slowly trickling in the L33 Callaway is great value.  If credits are going to be tight the Tour SD is a real bargain at only 65 credits per sleeve.  You'll have to see how the meter is though, might be a tad speedy.

Good luck.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:16 AM

The full set of G25s lvl 59+ is 4495 credits . Add 3 good Ping wedges and a Daytona Rossa putter and you will be all set . From there you shouldnt need any more upgrades until Legend tier . You dont have to break the bank to get good clubs . A good ball is the Level 11+ Srixon at 180 credits a sleeve . Once you reach Legend tier it will hold the greens very well and give you what you need .

At the same time until you make your upgrades dont invest in a ball that costs over 90 credits a sleeve , to do so would only be a waste of credits . Look at the WGT balls and get you 1 from there . They will play good enough until you are ready to make your moves .

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:29 AM

+1 in general.

But excuse me, it's difficult to get "3 good Ping wedges" since they dropped the 60yds (64°?) wedge of level 42 some months ago. Ping replacements are in level 18 (good?) and level 69(?) - unavailable to the OP.

Thus, the ATV or Cleve advice seems best to me.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:23 AM

I don't remember what level I was at when I started replacing the Starter equipment with better clubs/ball.

I think when we start upgrading is a decision that we each will make based on a number of factors.

I have upgraded my stuff many times though.

I have had 5 or 6 different drivers, 3 or 4 different 3 woods, 4 sets of irons, 2 sets of wedges, and 5 different putters.

Eventually it takes so long to move up a level that you can accumulate quite a few Earn Free Credits if you don't play game types that entail a fee or wagering.

I hit level 95 May 24, 2014 and should reach level 96 about the middle of next month, or 6 months to move up 1 level.

In 158 days I have earned 152516 XP or an average of 965 XP per day.

• PAGES
RSS