UEL Tour: Fall 2014 edition

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 8 2015 7:37 AM (111 replies)
  • mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 6:59 PM

WildBillbakerhil:
    This is nothing against you mmyers

Thanks for that, I guess, but I'm not sure what I have to do with whoever is leading the Tour Pro division of anything. Nor is this thread about the official WGT Virtual Tour. I'm sitting a solid 227th in the Legend division if that helps.

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 11:39 PM

Thank you for the big work Corwyn. I still have many things to learn to be good in UEL (I still make so many stupid mistakes), but I hope to be selected for the next UEL Ryder Cup event :)

And as it was said, your 60 on Merion was unbelievable. Congratz ;)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:15 AM

Thanks Joe, and Andy and Cerino. Joe: you're playing great in the Tour so far, and well on track for a Ryder Cup place!

I felt like I was due a win in one of these weeklies, having several times come to the last 4 or 5 holes needing just 2-3 more birds for first place, and messed up.

Merion has always been one of my best courses with UEL, and this round just happened to be one of those with good timing on all the critical shots (although I can't remember if I've ever managed anything better than par over the last 5 brutal holes!) ... but I did have another factor to contend with (which may have helped relieve any pressure, strangely enough).

I had this nagging worry that perhaps WGT hadn't changed its clocks with the time change a few weeks back, and that I didn't know for sure if I'd have until midnight Sunday (PST time, which is usually also WGT time) to play my round. Sunday night is my typical night to play these, as the rest of the family is all in bed early for early school start in the morning... 

Anyway, I reached 10:30pm sitting nicely on -7 after the f9, having managed the tough pars on 5 & 6 and birdied the rest with some very nice putting... (this nice lag on #5 from 58ft sure helped) then I thought I'd better speed up... I got routine birds from 4ft on 10 & 11 quite quickly, played 12 texbook style for UEL (iron to 1st flat fairway2nd dinged long iron) but missed the 6ft downhill curler; sunk a tricky 5ft sidehiller on 13, and then it was a flat-out race to finish fast in case the clock got me. A super 2nd on 16 gave me some breathing room after near misses on 14 and 15. On 17 I putted a 12ft chance without really trying to figure out the horrible break, and on 18 I rushed through my tee shot and 2nd so much I found the worst possible place in the bunker. I barely considered the line on the par save putt from 15ft, just happy to 2-putt fast and finish with a minute or two to spare on my own computer clock (without being sure that matched WGTs). After quickl snapshots of the card, I tried to sign up for a weekly flat-lie event only to see the message that they were all closed... so I reckon I did have to play as fast as I did. Phew!

It does seem ridiculous to me that WGT hasn't changed its clock from Daylight Saving Time (November 2). I can understand that the Consecutive Days Played clock matches UTC. But surely the weekly tourneys should end at midnight Sunday on one of their clocks, which has always been the WGT time (San Francisco time, where they're based).

Anyway... that's another story.

Here's my card: 

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:41 AM

Please note: Qualification Thread for next UEL event, Ryder Cup @ Olympic in January is finally up and running.

You can track team qualification there. Please let me know if your name is not included in the running for either team, and I'll fix it!

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Tue, Nov 25 2014 6:34 AM

Corwyn:
    Joe: you're playing great in the Tour so far, and well on track for a Ryder Cup place!

Thank you! I really hope to be in.

I don't see my name in the current teams... Of course I would prefer to compete for team Row :)

And what a F9! I've made -7 only two times on Merion after 9 holes; but of course it was not in UEL. Maybe one time -5, in the RG UEL. Not sure...

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 25 2014 7:24 PM

You're in the list now, Joe. Sorry! (and thanks for pointing it out).

I'm sure you'll be a big asset to the ROW team: right now, you're headed for a place based on the credit standings after your two excellent wins earlier in the tour... but lagging a little in the 'relative to par' standings.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Nov 27 2014 6:41 AM

Latest standings after wk47 tourney at Merion:

In the TL tier, xfipro won again! That's his/her 3rd win in the Tour and has opened up a lead over fmagnets in the credits standings. Great rounds from Daskino and ColumbusStorm as well this week.

In Legend tier, I put together one of my best rounds at Merion and could even afford a bogey on the last to come in with a 60... despite racing against the clock on the back 9 (see post above). Our Spanish duo emmalinks and lisalovesthesun, who have had such a good tour so far, shared 2nd.

Please note the Ryder Cup qualification thread is up and running in the community events forum. For those of you that are interested in playing in the next UEL Ryder Cup event, to be held at Olympic in mid-late January, we'll be tracking who's vying for places on the US and ROW teams. I've added tabs in the spreadsheet for Team USA and Team ROW. If you don't see your name there, please post here or in the other thread so I know you want to try and make the team. Also, please note that there will be some players shown as trying for places, who may not be available when January comes around, and we'll need alternates anyway, so keep pressing for your place!

------------------

To see all the details view the spreadsheet, but for those who can't access the new Google Sheets, here are some snapshots of some of the Standings sheets here in the thread (note that they're only the top 35+ places, just what fits on my screen).

Click here to see the full google doc spreadsheet; once in the sheet, navigate via tabs at the bottom.

Right-click, open in new Tab, to see these images full-size

wk47Tourney: Merion scores:

TL credit standings:

TL 'Relative to Par' Standings:

L credit standings:

L 'Relative to Par' Standings:

TL & L best 9 scores Combined Credit Standings:

TL & L Combined best 9 scores 'Relative to Par' Standings:

Please note: I'm on a trip for the holiday, and unlikely to get online at all till after the weekend. Good luck at Congo and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 9:54 AM

Latest standings after wk48 tourney at Congressional:

In the TL tier, fmagnets recorded another win, just pipping Priestess and fellow Wooden Tee players bhoese and sprntl7 (with his highest finish so far!). That's Mags' second win in the Tour and puts him ahead of xfipro in the credits standings; he also enjoys a huge lead in the TL relative to par standings. Note that Mags has finished top 4 every week. Truly impressive consistency!

In Legend tier, LOLserver produced a superb round of 59 to win by a huge 3 stroke margin. emmalinks took a very handy 2nd place, cementing her hold on the credit standings lead. They both must must really like Congo as Eric was 2nd there earlier in the tour, just one shot behind Emma.

Please note the Ryder Cup qualification thread is up and running in the community events forum. For those of you that are interested in playing in the next UEL Ryder Cup event, to be held at Olympic in mid-late January, we'll be tracking who's vying for places on the US and ROW teams. I've added tabs in the spreadsheet for Team USA and Team ROW. If you don't see your name there, please post here or in the other thread so I know you want to try and make the team. Also, please note that there will be some players shown as trying for places, who may not be available when January comes around, and we'll need alternates anyway, so keep pressing for your place! There are just 4 events left...

------------------

To see all the details view the spreadsheet, but for those who can't access the new Google Sheets, here are some snapshots of some of the Standings sheets here in the thread (note that they're only the top 35+ places, just what fits on my screen).

Click here to see the full google doc spreadsheet; once in the sheet, navigate via tabs at the bottom.

wk48Tourney: Congressional scores:

TL credit standings:

L credit standings:

Don't forget to play the BoH UEL weekly single this weekend if you haven't already. I know many players are caught up in the VT Championship, and best of luck to you all in that as well!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 10 2014 7:50 PM

Here are the latest standings after the wk49 tourney at Best of Hardest:

In the TL tier, Tgkomv shot an impressive 59 to win (on the hardest course of the tour), just pipping KonradOse by 1 and seven players another stroke back.

In Legend tier, arielgongon got the win this week, shooting a 62 to pip yet another Wooden Tee player, thunder6255. That possible Wooden Tee UEL team is looking ever stronger every week that goes by, lol!

This week I'll post some clarification on the prizes offered for this tour. To date, we have offers of sponsorship from KonradOse and myself. If anyone else wishes to donate a prize, please post here or PM me this week. Thanks!

Also, please note the Ryder Cup qualification thread is up and running in the community events forum. For those of you that are interested in playing in the next UEL Ryder Cup event, to be held at Olympic in mid-late January, we'll be tracking who's vying for places on the US and ROW teams. I've added tabs in the spreadsheet for Team USA and Team ROW. If you don't see your name there, please post here or in the other thread so I know you want to try and make the team. Also, please note that there will be some players shown as trying for places, who may not be available when January comes around, and we'll need alternates anyway, so keep pressing for your place! There are just 3 events left...

------------------

wk49Tourney: Best of Hardest scores:

TL credit standings:

L credit standings:

Just 3 weeks to go in the Tour, and competition is very close for Ryder Cup team positions!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 7:44 PM

Finally got a good round going this week with a 63, though I won't be surprised to see someone shoot 62 or 61 to win.

Funny thing is, I checked the scores as I was playing and thought 63 was a -8 (I guess I was thinking of Congressional). So after I missed a short putt on 15 to stay at -5, I thought I needed to birdie out to tie the lead. I stuck the next two approaches inside 10 feet for birdies and then my approach on 18 barely clung to the top tier. I missed the 15-foot sidehill birdie... and then was surprised to see my name at the top of the leaderboard anyway.

I birdied several holes I don't normally (including 2 and 16), but made up for it by failing to birdie either 1 or 3.

RSS