Club distances...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 29 2014 6:04 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • lancer525
    14 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 7:48 PM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I'm curious about the discrepancy between the distances of the clubs in this game and the actual distances I hit in the real world.

These are the distances I get in the real world, from my own clubs, averaged from 20 full-swing shots, using GPS measurements at a local practice range:

D – Nike Forged Titanium 450cc, 8.5° loft – 268 yds

3W- Cleveland Launcher Titanium 15° loft – 239 yds

Irons: Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot, XS steel shafts

2 – 245 yds

3 – 223 yds

4 – 199 yds

5 – 187 yds

6 – 173 yds

7 – 164 yds

8 – 155 yds

9 – 139 yds

PW – 121 yds

LW – 98 yds

I did not take measurements with my sand wedge.

The distances I hit the clubs in the game are:

The headers are:

The club (Club)

The distance the game says the club should be hit (Dist)

The longest I've ever hit the club in the game (Long)

Club   Dist   Long  

D        225     221

3W     205     201

3I       180     173

4I       170     153

5I       160     149

6I       150     143

7I       137     131

8I       125     122

9I       110     103

PW      90       89

Now, I am by no means,  anything more than just an average golfer, holding an official USGA handicap of 12, but the difference between what the clubs here are good for, and what I actually hit in the real world is making my course management and shot planning very difficult. Do I just have to deal with it and play to the computer? I hope no one tells me to spend lots of buckage to buy gollywog clubs here, because this is a rainy-day thing for me, and I'd rather spend my funds on a real course... :)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 9:55 PM

You have no stats to go on and you are a club missing. The free stuff is obviously just there to get you interested in the game so then you want to improve by spending money. However you can get the best clubs for nothing if you're willing to take the time to watch videos and do surveys on here. That's what I do.

• lancer525
    14 Posts
    Thu, Aug 28 2014 10:18 PM

courteneyfish:

You have no stats to go on and you are a club missing. The free stuff is obviously just there to get you interested in the game so then you want to improve by spending money. However you can get the best clubs for nothing if you're willing to take the time to watch videos and do surveys on here. That's what I do.

What does that mean, I "have no stats to go on"? I gave all the necessary "stats" in my post.

I compiled all the data from a recent day on the range, averaged the distances, and presented the numbers here. I did something similar in this game, after playing a few practice rounds, and realizing that I wasn't getting the distances I was expecting. I picked a nice, flat fairway, went through all the clubs, and calculated the best distance of 5 shots with each club. How much more "stats" do you need?

I also know they don't have a two iron here. I'd rather hit a two iron than a three wood any day. I can draw a two iron, and back it up, but I can't do that with a three wood.

And no, I'm not interested in spending money anywhere except on a real course.I was just wondering why all these clubs are so short.

• kirky67
    114 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 1:02 AM

It is only a game...a very realistic and good game IMO but you only get out what you put in and it sounds like you don't want to put anything in which is your choice. Some people think for some reason that because they are good golfers in the real wold everything should mirror their game on here well thankfully that is not he case. Why would you expect to come straight on to a game and be able to hit the exact distances you hit in real life.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 2:59 AM

lancer525:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I'm curious about the discrepancy between the distances of the clubs in this game and the actual distances I hit in the real world.

These are the distances I get in the real world, from my own clubs, averaged from 20 full-swing shots, using GPS measurements at a local practice range:

D – Nike Forged Titanium 450cc, 8.5° loft – 268 yds

3W- Cleveland Launcher Titanium 15° loft – 239 yds

Irons: Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot, XS steel shafts

2 – 245 yds

3 – 223 yds

4 – 199 yds

5 – 187 yds

6 – 173 yds

7 – 164 yds

8 – 155 yds

9 – 139 yds

PW – 121 yds

LW – 98 yds

I did not take measurements with my sand wedge.

The distances I hit the clubs in the game are:

The headers are:

The club (Club)

The distance the game says the club should be hit (Dist)

The longest I've ever hit the club in the game (Long)

Club   Dist   Long  

D        225     221

3W     205     201

3I       180     173

4I       170     153

5I       160     149

6I       150     143

7I       137     131

8I       125     122

9I       110     103

PW      90       89

Now, I am by no means,  anything more than just an average golfer, holding an official USGA handicap of 12, but the difference between what the clubs here are good for, and what I actually hit in the real world is making my course management and shot planning very difficult. Do I just have to deal with it and play to the computer? I hope no one tells me to spend lots of buckage to buy gollywog clubs here, because this is a rainy-day thing for me, and I'd rather spend my funds on a real course... :)

The distances of the starter clubs is supposed to simulate the distance  a player who is just starting to play golf would hit the ball. I'm sure you weren't hitting 245 yard 2 irons when you first started playing. Think back to that time and then you start to understand how the starter clubs play. 

As we can't get more distance by improving our swing here like in the real world we have to buy better clubs and balls to do it. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 7:42 AM

lancer525:

What does that mean, I "have no stats to go on"? I gave all the necessary "stats" in my post.

It means what it says. I am sure I am daft because I don't see what your question is.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 7:53 AM

I found the question ;)

lancer525:
    Do I just have to deal with it and play to the computer?

Simple answer: Yes!

I believe the abbrev. is FTP - PTW.

And if you want to get the best from the Starters, play full backspin all the time!

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 8:07 AM

What I have come to the conclusion is it is not so much the clubs not going the yardage you mapped , but that it's the wind not being what it tells you.

So lets say you mapped your 3i at 223 fbs , so you have a 15 mph wind (tail) you make the shot and damn you come up short or long by 6 yards or so. Right your fist thought is the clubs inconsistency , well I disagree and say that the wind was more or less than stated, and thats where the guessing game comes in, What is the wind really doing? 

• web513
    79 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 8:24 AM

love to play the game....the drawback isyouhave to purchase there equipment as the bigginner clubs and balls u have r useless..you cannot competewith  these people shooting 14 under par.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 8:32 AM

This is sort of a stupid conversation that the OP has gone the wrong way on.

Generally on WGT the opposite is true.   I'm a sub 5 handicap player but I can't bang my driver out there 300 yards, nor can I hit a 3 iron from 225 and make it stop on a dime.

The starter WGT clubs is what he compared against and if you wanted a true comparison, go out and buy a set of starter real clubs, cheap balls and have an 18 handicapper hit them and then do your comparison.   You are looking at apples versus oranges here.

For example I use the BB driver - rated at 287, easily averages 300.  The BB 3 wood, rated at 245, goes closer to 250.   The R11 irons start at 225 and go down in 15 yard increments to 120.   Cleveland wedges 100, 80 and 60.  

I think whit a mid handicap golfer using mid level clubs like he shows, you are better compared to the mid level clubs available to level 60 or so.   

• PAGES
RSS