Help › Forums

Any advice??

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 15 2010 2:20 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 12:02 AM

Hey there fellow golfers! I have a question. Any opinions anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated. I recently became a master. I also realize that as a master I will be needing to purchase new clubs to help with the distance. After thinking about it and getting some friendly advice from a "legend" friend I have decided to purchase the following equipment.

Taylor Made R9 Driver - Distance- 275

G10 Wood - Distance- 235

G10 Hybrid - Distance- 220

G10 Irons - Distance- 210-115

Now here is where I'm having trouble deciding. The wedges. Now 95% of the time I carry 3 wedges (no hybrid). And they are all Taylor Made wedges. The distances of the 3 wedges are - 98yds......77yds......50yds. So here is my question. With the smallest iron rated at 115yds should I reconfigure my wedges and try to narrow the gap from my 115yds iron to my 98yd wedge or am I good with those. I was thinking about going with 105yds.....90yds......77yds......but that would leave me without a 50yd wedge for those really close shots where it comes in handy. Currently I'm at level 52 and still have plenty of time to decide. Oh yeah and one more thing. I will only buy the Taylor Made wedges. Unless somebody could give me a really good argument for the Ping wedges. Thank you so much in advance!!

Oh sorry. Just thought about this. If anybody has an opinion on the clubs I'm going to buy and thinks I should go another route I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again!!

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 12:46 AM

I like the 50, 75 and 100 yard distances my 3 wedges provide as well as the various pitching and punch shots that seem to fill most of the gaps. Depending on whats in your bag will determine what kind of number you should leave for your approach when its a wedge in your avatars hand. I wouldnt be so concerned with the gap from 115 yards. It becomes 110 with full backspin depending on which ball your using and even less if you take a little off of it.. If it were me i'd loose that hybrid, you can easily get 220 with your 3W.

Im using the R9 and the G10 irons and in defense of the Ping 52 and 60 degree wedge, if there good enough for Avatar Lee then there good enough for me... lol. Seriously though most of your approach shots are happening well inside the range of that hybrid so why waiste one of your clubs on a distance thats not going to be needed all that much. I would think that most would agree that 3 wedges is definately the best option. 

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 1:02 AM

You know what. You bring up a good point. Why waste the money and buy the hybrid if I'm not even going to use it. I mean, I have a hybrid that is rated at 212yds and I really only use it on the CTTH and Blitz rounds. And you bring up another good point about the pitching and punching. Alright well thank you for your thoughts.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 1:13 AM

Sure would be nice if WGT would announce when/if they are releasing new clubs.  For now, your selections are good.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 2:30 AM

Ok. thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

• AntonioBunkeras
    262 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 5:04 AM

Just a question, Yoda. How are going to purchase the TM R9 275yd when you're on level 52 and the driver requires a level 62+ ? I'm a Tour master and also want that driver but it's not yet available to me.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 8:19 AM

Yoda...my advice is to consider your wedges from the point of view of not only their "full" swing distance, but also there "punch" swing distance...this would include your G-10 PW...it is really then a matter of understanding your club distances and managing the course with those distances in mind....Harve

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 3:23 PM

AntonioBunkeras:
    How are going to purchase the TM R9 275yd when you're on level 52 and the driver requires a level 62+ ?

I can't. That's why I said in my original post I have plenty of time to decide. Just collecting thoughts and opinions so as I can think about them and be able to put together the best club selection I possibly can. :)

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 3:26 PM

hbthree:
    my advice is to consider your wedges from the point of view of not only their "full" swing distance, but also there "punch" swing distance

Ok there fella. I think I just might do that. To be honest I never really use the "punch" option. But I guess that would definatley be something I should consider. Thanks for the input.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 5:58 PM

The Punch Shot is one of the better choices and has saved me especially with close shots 100 yds or closer, I carry 3 wedges no hybrid but a 3W as a tour master, as a Master i carried 3 wedges and the 3 hybrid, couldnt hit all par 5's in 2 but the wedges and punch shots with wedges worked wonders!

• PAGES
RSS