Forums

Help › Forums

Getting incredibly frustrated at distance randomness

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 14 2010 9:25 PM (4 replies)
  • S4ooterMcgavin
    4 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 11:47 AM

I have a lie of 30/40%....my club distance is 90 yards, the pin in 70yards....

I find 30/40% of 90 is about 55-65 yards, so i so full power..wind 4mph for....

Distance...87 yards...how the hell!!!

So now im the other side of the pin...30/40% lie in the rough again....pin 16 yards away, my club gives me 24 yards with a chip...hole it 2ft highter 4mph wind against....

Again i go full power...distance.....7 yards!!!!! What the hell is happening! This game is so fekkin random I aint a clue how people manage to finish cttp's under 60points!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:09 PM

LOL, SM. Not laughing at you but definitely hearing brand new player frustration. It's not like you're thinking,for starters. That 30/40% number is how deep your ball is buried. It doesn't mean apply that % to the shot. 

An easy way to think when you're in the rough is like this. If it's 30/40 add 1 club to whatever the caddie suggests. If it's 40/50 add 2 clubs. If it's 50/60 that means you're really in trouble and should re aim back into the fairway and use a punch shot to get back in play.

In the FAQs there are 2 really good, easy to understand help topics. Both were written by players that started out just like you (only with a whole lot less stuff here) and are worth reading. Putting Tips and Chip and Pitch Tips.  

GL and hang in there.  :-)

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:32 PM

S4ooterMcgavin:
    So now im the other side of the pin...30/40% lie in the rough again....pin 16 yards away, my club gives me 24 yards with a chip...hole it 2ft highter 4mph wind against....

Do not use chip if you are more then 1-2ft from green it will come up short every time!

Cheers

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 2:36 PM

i have been playing for some time now and i was thinkning like SM...i guess you do learn something everyday...ty..

• supermex79
    31 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 9:25 PM

My frustration is being in the rough...having a 40-50% lie and the pw is suggested..I don't know how many times I would hit full meter and it goes about 2 feet...OMG...I don't trust the pw much any more in a deep lie..I had a member suggest using a 9 iron and it has worked great for me.....I was shooting about 2 under last week on the last hole at bethpage...got in the rough and ended up with a double bogey...terrible..iam always learning....good luck

RSS