Green Speeds and Putting Power

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 13 2015 7:28 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 3:13 AM

Hello, 

I was sent the greens speeds calculations below, but I'm having trouble getting my head around them.

A quick ready reckoner in fractions would be better and easy to calculate. For example, a 30 foot putt on championship greens becomes a 20-22 footer,  roughly less 1/3 of power.

I was wondering if anyone has a simplified method for all green speeds?

Thanks, Dubfore.

"easy to change green speed - just change the value under Stimpmeter (in my example it was 13 for Champ Speeds) - just change that to whatever the stimpmeter reading is shown on the 1st green.

The 17.2098 in the example is the equivalent distance (calculated at 24 foot in the example) that you must putt on Champ Greens (stimpmeter 13),  as another example if you were on Fast greens (Stimpmeter 9) - then the equivalent distance (for 24 foot putt) would be 23.17 foot, and for Standard Greens (Stimpmeter 7.9) the equivalent distance (for a 24 foot putt) would be 25.296 foot.  

The equivalent distance just calculates the amount of power to hitt your putt - relative to your putter's distance scale (most putter's distance scales are set up to reflect ~ Standard Greens - ie if you hit 100% of 15 foot scale on Standard Greens -the ball should travel approx 15 foot)."

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 3:29 AM

(deleted by user due to unbearable demeanour of the company)

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 4:02 AM

Wha?  That's simplified?  Sorry, not very clear, but thanks anyway. :-(

This is clear  > a 30 foot putt on championship greens becomes a 20-22 footer,  roughly less 1/3 of power = Hit 66%.  

These calculations are for my club members, I'd like them as simple as possible.  

Fractions are easier for mental maths. Anyone else got fractions?

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 4:36 AM

(deleted by user due to unbearable demeanour of the company)

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 8:00 AM

That depends also on course and steep... a 10 ft putt with 8 inches down may roll 50 ft at Merion only using a fart!!!

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 8:00 AM

It should be hit as a 20-22 footer roughly and it will roll roughly 30.  Who'd want a 30 foot putt to roll 42?

What I meant by clear was the method for remembering such as a 1/2 or 50% more power, a 1/3 or 33% less etc, just like the examples below, This link also from Druss to a spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apk9DKK3f4CHdHVzVWNubEJZZkZSSkFvWEJtVk9YNlE&usp=sharing

DrussTheLegend has been very helpful, I hope these help you improve your putting.

I will keep updating this post as I get the info/tips.

Black grid = Flat  ~  Blue = Uphill  ~  Red = Downhill

Yellow or brighter = PRAY!  :-)

Below is for a 30 foot putt on black ie: flat greens.

Champ Speed (13 stimp) = 72% or 30% less power.

Tournament (12 stimp) = 74% or 25% less power

Fast (9 stimp) = 97% or 3% less power

Slow (7.4 stimp) = 113% or extra 15% power.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 8:04 AM

SOYEL1:

That depends also on course and steep... a 10 ft putt with 8 inches down may roll 50 ft at Merion only using a fart!!!

We're talking flat greens and these are just a  rough guide. The maths would have to be tweaked for putters with different increments and maybe even for different putters with the same increments.

And, the strength of the pong might get a better ping and blow everyone away! :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 9:24 AM

Dubfore:

DrussTheLegend has been very helpful, I hope these help you improve your putting.

I will keep updating this post as I get the info/tips.

Black grid = Flat  ~  Blue = Uphill  ~  Red = Downhill

Yellow or brighter = PRAY!  :-)

Below is for a 30 foot putt on black ie: flat greens.

Champ Speed (13 stimp) = 72% or 30% less power.

Tournament (12 stimp) = 74% or 25% less power

Fast (9 stimp) = 97% or 3% less power

Slow (7.4 stimp) = 113% or extra 15% power.

Read below again if got an Email as edited it quick:

Druss talks good sense in the above quote IMO.  nit  picking 70% instead 72% Champ and 75% not 75% Tourney above.  Fast I would use 90% distance at 30 feet, but Fast inside 10 feet I would simply be adding a foot to the distance.  Similarly V Fast I would take 85% at 30 feet but go pound for pound inside 10'.  I would also say that 70% of distance at a 30 foot range would be even firmer than I would usually go on champ, but personal and the calcs are as simple as you can get.

All very basic, and elevations can make huge differences especially on champ as pointed out.  Can't see as a basic it getting much simpler and it's 3 seconds a time to calc anything on a slow day in even my head.  Courses and greens vary, undulations and wind can affect  too as can (as you said) increment adjustments.  Also IMHO certain higher tourneys especially people should be prepared to adjust for what the actually see happening by going form on the first putt and taking it from there. Some will take the trouble to learn how their chosen putter performs within the basic framework given, and some will just moan:)...

There are some very fancy calcs out there also, but not seen any one using that stuff do any better distace wise, and some just confuse themselve's overly.........People prefer fractions well the one's that care enough can convert a decimal to a fraction easy enough (or someone do it for them I guess...).

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 9:54 AM

for daytona

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:00 AM

That looks like a very useful chart 2Dam and I happene to use a Daytona putter.

Thank you all for those inputs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• PAGES
RSS