Forums

Help › Forums

I'm speechless...and saddened

Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:07 PM (23 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:49 AM

I worded that badly, what Andy said is undoubtedly true. What I mean is, if a pro golfer was looking for a performance enhancing drug to use, the two mentioned wouldn't be on the list.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 1:06 PM

No matter how it is abused (e.g., snorting, smoking or injecting) most of the cocaine impacts the brain. Its use results in a euphoria that only lasts five to 15 minutes. Studies that have analyzed how cocaine impacts athletic abilities have actually determined the drug decreases the user’s performance. This is because cocaine makes the user feel so good, they perceive everything around them in a better light, including their own abilities. Researchers found cocaine to diminish an athlete’s strength, endurance and overall performance, despite the user’s distorted perception that they were improving. It also impaired the body’s ability to regulate its own temperature.

Does he have a lot of good 1st holes or is he topping up during a round?  Doesn't sound particularly performance enhancing to me, all I can relate it to (from the description of effects) is alcohol which even decreases my performance in virtual golf. Not that I play worse when drinking; it's just then that VEM, bad luck, meter problems etc strike then. 

A statement from the PGA Tour read: “With regard to media reports that Dustin Johnson has been suspended by the PGA Tour, this is to clarify that Mr Johnson has taken a voluntary leave of absence and is not under a suspension from the PGA Tour.”

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 1:32 PM

alcaucin:

PaulTon:
    Cocaine and Cannabis are not performance enhancing drugs

Have to disagree Paul...Cocaine makes you feel invincible

( till $400 a day, then just paranoid )

So alters perceptions in the mind to be not  then worrying....therefore 

An advantage can be gained..in my experience anyway, can't speak for all.

Just say NO !

Andy

Doubt that he used to it gain confidence on the course, most likely an evening/late night thing for him.  It can ruin his game if he does not stop doing it. 

He is likely taking a few months to rehab and get rid of that nasty monkey ! 

smoking some spliffs is something completely different , that will never help your game !! and should not be on the ban list !!!

it is legal now in some states ! 

what is next eating too many weggies with b12 that help you concentrate ?? now that should be banned too ! 

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 1:52 PM

The PGA still insist he has not been suspended and has not failed a drugs test.

Cocaine stays in your system for only 48 hours so if he has been caught then he's a very silly boy as this means he has done it very recently.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:10 PM

DAZZA501:

Cocaine stays in your system for only 48 hours

stays 72 hrs in ur system, in your hair for 6 months...

why is anyone surprised a pro athlete doin coke.??? It's rampant among these young new millionaires...no one feels sorry for the broke guy who does it and he is the one who's gonna break into your house or steal your car!!

Believe me it will help his focus for about 6 months before he becomes a basket case, if you think he can't do it while playing you are dead wrong...they snort/shoot it because it gets in your system faster but just as effective ingested...

Go to a professional 9 ball tournament, after the 1st day and all night money games it is almost impossible to get into the bathroom...of course the tell you they were ale to play all weekend with out sleep due to their new work out regimen and vitamins LOL...

In 1982 Joachim Andujar in his post World Series victory interview giving a big shout out to his friend who was a well known coke dealer who was recently on the news, half of St' Louis said, " OH NO, he didn't just do that  did he?"

We don't want our stars smoking pot, yet we f'n vote to make it legal in some states...we don't want them doing hard drugs but 1/2 they country wants to let anyone cross the Mexican border, where 95% of the drugs come from now...shame on us, not them!!

• JDShoemaker
    209 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 6:01 PM

Well for what it is worth, according to the WGA, and USGA, it is not true.  He was not suspended.  He took a voluntary leave for "personal reasons".  And if he has figured out he has a problem and has decided to fix it.  That Takes Big  ..... to admit it to the world and walk away from the paychecks.  Not to mention the Ryder cup.  Cut the man some slack.  As the saying goes, Walk a Mile in his shoes!

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 4:52 AM

JDShoemaker:
    Walk a Mile in his shoes!

ENOUGH said. You nailed it JD. 

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 5:28 AM

siggipj76:

Doubt that he used to it gain confidence on the course, most likely an evening/late night thing for him.  It can ruin his game if he does not stop doing it. 

He is likely taking a few months to rehab and get rid of that nasty monkey ! 

smoking some spliffs is something completely different , that will never help your game !! and should not be on the ban list !!!

Well spoken, bro. That coke is nasty business. I can imagine that some folks get into using it as part of a fast-paced lifestyle, which could undoubtedly include pro golfers. But job no. 1 for these guys is to keep a cool head. Self-control, stoic-like, is vital.

Doobies could contribute to a more fluid swing on a relaxed, recreational round (course recommendations available!) but no, I cannot imagine it enhancing a competitive golf game.

In fact, golf is so based on control and precision, rather than strength, speed or endurance, it is hard to imagine what drugs would enhance someone's performance.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 6:06 AM

Think I saw Butch Harmon say he needs to learn when to party and when to work.  

Whatever the whole of the exact issues are I hope he gets his chit together, and gets back playing.  

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Wed, Aug 6 2014 9:21 AM

well...

i don't think they should drug test ... but thats just me..

i do think if ya join an association such as the PGA ..an there rules say ..no drugs,,, well.. ya gotta follow the rules ... or ...  sit at home ...

NOW ..that said...

during my rodeo career ... there were time's... umm ...i experimented ...with perfomance enhancment....

we didn't call it that... .. we called it... what it was... gettin ..F'd up... wired... or whatever,,,

i think i try'd most all the available enhancements ..at one time or another.. and i'm pretty sure ..NONE HELPED .... LMAOO ... ALTHO......who gave a ....%&^##%%...

when big buks ..were on the line...i found ... being MR. natural ..was the way to go... just dealing with adrenalin was enough ..

i had to stay away from cocaine.... mainly because.... I LIKED IT !! .. an had seen it drag other's down... same when.. CRANK came along also .... u can ZOOOOM for days on that poison.. but it made people turn into  weirdo's,,, an all they wanted to do was that...more than they wanted to win an event,,don;t get me started on ...pill heads..

lets see,,PGA test for that...... PROLLY LOOZE ..half the golfer's... IMO... from hydrocodone to zanex ... id say...   but those are legal.(wink*) ... an not performance related... lol

anywhoo...since i kinda liked the really purty hunny's also..... sure wooda liked to hang out with ...ole dustin after a turny.... sounds like funn dude...

:)_~~  ,

peace... , 

ps... i play REAL golf better... high on good KUSH ... ,,,,,,    really .. just tend to forget where cart is an what hole were on...

RSS