Forums

Help › Forums

Points System question ...

Sat, Aug 2 2014 7:37 AM (36 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:10 AM

Hi all,

I'm putting the finishing touches on my "tourney manager" spreadsheet and I have this question for everyone.  

Lets say I am running a tournament that will span for 3 months.  It will consist of 6 rounds spread out over this 3 month period.  I'm going to give out points based on where you finish each round, and the one with the most points after these six rounds will win.

The points awarded aren't really important, but to make this explanation easier, let's say 10 points, for 1st, 9 points for 2nd, 8 points for 3rd, 7 points for 4th, etc. to 1 point for 10th.  I will also give 1 participation point to everyone (so 10th place will get 1 point for 10th and 1 participation point).

So, here's my question ... say in the 2nd round, I have 3 players that tie for 2nd place.  Should I give each of them 9 points for 2nd place, or add 2nd, 3rd and 4th place points together and split these evenly?  (for example 24/3 = 8 points).

Edit:  If I do the 2nd option, should I round these points (let's say, a 2 way 3rd place tie ... 7 + 6 = 13 ... so 6.5 rounded to 7, or just 6.5 points)?

• EasyEdward
    13,495 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:27 AM

I have been running a Points Championship Tour in the CC I belong to for 65 weeks now. It is very popular with 80-100 playing each week. (it is a weekly single play tourney that rotates all courses and green speeds) last 10 rounds make up he current ranking though we do track "lifetime points"

We started using the WGT tiebreak system so 4th place got one point less than 3rd, etc. (so a third option for you to consider - lol) 

After about 10 months it became apparent that 2 things were happening 1) we were all much better players so were clustering near the top with identical scores and 2) a lot of members that played later in the week were at a disadvantage due to the final tiebreak WGT uses. 

So we switched and said a score is a score and went with adding the points from positions of tied players and dividing by the number tied (keeping the 1/2 points).

I think a lot depends on how many players you think will be participating.

Ed

• biteme100
    156 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:27 AM

In horse racing they would add the 2nd place, 3rd place and 4th place Purse together than divide by three.

Steve

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:38 AM

biteme100:

In horse racing they would add the 2nd place, 3rd place and 4th place Purse together than divide by three.

Steve

In the US, horse racing doesn't have ties ... they take photos to determine who is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.  I'm not sure about other countries.

Plus, that's parimutuel wagering that relates to a purse.  Points are free ... they don't cost you a thing to give away.

Parimutuel wagering is a purse, that needs to be divvied up between the winners.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:46 AM

DaddysKat:
    In the US, horse racing doesn't have ties ... they take photos to determine who is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.  I'm not sure about other countries.

UK have this, accepting it is possible.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:48 AM

0) an extra bonus for the winner.

1) full points for same scores. You don't have to distribute a limited purse but want to honor the achievement.

2) decimals if you choose the other solution and 10 as a max. No decimals for a 100 scale.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 10:58 AM

Jimbog1964:
    UK have this, accepting it is possible.

I know how the dead heat works with parimutuel wagering in golf ... I wasn't sure if they had them with the ponies.

But again, you're talking about a purse (money) ... I'm talking about honoring an established points system based on placing in an event.

I guess if you divvy, you will need to put a disclaimer stating that's how it's going to be. Otherwise, give out total points based on placement.

So how much rounding would you suggest?  One decimal place?  Two? (i.e. a 3 way tie for 3rd ... do you give them 7.3 points each or 7.33 points each?  How carried away would one want to get with the decimal places?

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:01 AM

alosso:
    1) full points for same scores. You don't have to distribute a limited purse but want to honor the achievement.

Wow ... we agree on something!  lol.

I like this routine better than the divvy or dead heat method with a points system ... it's just many people use the dead-heat method.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:03 AM

Let the WGT tiebreaking method determine who finished ahead of who.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:13 AM

YankeeJim:

Let the WGT tiebreaking method determine who finished ahead of who.

Sadly, WGT only determines who won ... they don't determine anything else.  Here's a tourney we ran ... check out the ties for 3rd, 6th and 11th place:

Edit:  First and 2nd place tied ... and WGT determined who won ... after that, there were ties.

RSS