Help wanted: Which putter to choose?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:28 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Toothpaste
    37 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:07 AM

Here is my situation: 

I'm level 35, and for the last few days, I have been gaining 1 lever per day and I have no problem with waiting until level 44 to get a better putter.

I'm not planning to spend to much money on this game, for example, I doubt that I will ever buy golf balls and be taking part in the pay to play tournaments. But I will buy clubs every now and then during the year.

Right now I have been using the starter clubs and I'm pretty happy with them, but I realize that I need contribute some dough to the game and putter is the club I want to buy by doing this.

I have so far my eyes on 3 different putters...

...but the speed meter is the only thing that I can relate too regarding whats good stats for a club or not. I have no idea what precision or balance will do to my game. Therefore, I'm hoping that some of you that have owned those putters could give some advice.

Spider Putter (L19+)

Personally, I would want to buy Spider Putter cuz it looks so cool. The meter seem to be very slow and I feel that it would least damage to my game. But reading here on the forum and one player review, it doesn't seem to be a popular putter but at the same time, I don't know how serious the reviews should be taken. I would like more opinions about this club.

iWi Anser Series Putter (L28+)

Since its the same price as Spider putter, but is available at higher level, it must be better than Spider - that's how I'm thinking. But the speed meter is really scaring me.

Redwood ZB Putter (L44+)

I'm interested in this one since its a putter within a reasonable range for me and the speed meter seems to be slower than the Anser Series Putter and the stats greater.

Any recommendations, expirience or thoughts?

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Oct 8 2010 7:11 PM

I`ve owned all three and would recommend holding out for the Redwood. The only reason I`ve owned all three is because the Spider was released 1st, then the Anser, and finally the Redwood which I`m still using.

The redwood is at least twice the putter in value and performance than the other two in my opinion. GL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2010 6:34 AM

Take the Spider off your list. It's the least accurate of all of them and is basically for players that need a slow meter. This comes at the cost of the accuracy.

The Anser is the Redwood's little brother. I made Master playing with it last summer and when the Redwood came out I switched to it, replacing it with the Master version when it came out. It has twice the accuracy of the Spider but not quite as much as the Redwood. It adds a 4th scale too.

Since this will probably be the only putter purchase you will make get the Redwood. The meter speed is the same as the Anser but you get more accuracy. You wouldn't be hurting yourself if you got that Anser but the Redwood really trumps it on the accuracy plus it has 6 scales-15  30  45  90  150  300. GL

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2010 7:52 AM

The slow meter reading on the spider is false. I just sold my 1 back. It says the meter speed is the same as the beginner putter, but its twice as fast.

• Toothpaste
    37 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2010 9:00 AM

Thank you guys for taking your time to help me out. I shall listen to your advice and hold onto my money bag until level 44 is reached.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 9 2010 10:13 AM

Another way to think for you, TP. Each level gets progressively farther away by 100 points. The levels won't be coming as fast as you think so don't be surprised. That being said, that Anser putter might be a good move now for several   reasons.

1. The meter speed is the same as the Redwood. Learn it now and you won't have a huge learning curve when you get to the Redwood.
    2. The accuracy increase is going to make an immediate difference.
    3. It has a 4th scale giving you more choices for putting strength, like using longer scales for shorter putts.
    4. There is a huge increase in accuracy over what you have now while the accuracy increase from Anser to Redwood is a little more subtle. You will be much more ready for the Redwood when it's time.
    It's only 400 credits and you get 100 back when you sell it so maybe it's worth considering getting it now.  :-)

• Toothpaste
    37 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 5:09 AM

I wont deny it, I'm cheap. But I have to be since I'm not a golfer, I'm a gamer and I play different online games. 5 dollars here, 2 dollars there and it would easy add up if I don't keep a strict gaming budget.

At the same time I'm really close to level 44, already level 38 and I will probably gain another level today. 7-10 more days of waiting for a club that will probably last 6 months ain't a big deal.

• SwiiftyUK
    3 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 6:30 AM

Great layout. Anyway I just like the first putter. Easy to hit and I think it's perfect!

• RichKCL
    278 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 1:33 AM

1 putter you have not mentioned is the tayler made ROSA daytona putter it also has 6  levals of distances. 15foot ,30 foot, 60 foot, 90 foot, 150 foot and 300foot.  verry forgiving and meter speed is not bad. Of course the higher you climb the tear ladder meter speed will increase.

• cozmozogg
    167 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 1:12 PM

agreed. imo, the daytona rossa putter is fantastic. i went from beginner putter to the rossa to the master redwood. i recently put the rossa back in my bag because i found it to be a lot more accurate, when i miss the meter ding, than the redwood. i think you would be very pleased with the accuracy and easily adapt to the meter, which is pretty easy to get the hang of.  it will signifigantly improve your game:) let us know what you ended up getting and how you like it TP...

• PAGES
RSS