Help › Forums

0 is not 0 on WGT...ICON Help

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 23 2014 4:06 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DAputts
    1,789 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 2:52 PM

I would like to know the difference between a black grid 0 down and a blue grid 0 up.  I rented two different putters this weekend.  Went to SA # 1 & 9 to do a little mapping before I played a full round.  With all 3 putters I found a + 1 foot at 1/2 & 3/4 power and a +2 foot at full power when on a black grid vs. what I got on the blue grid 0 up.....I never really paid attention , just thought I really missed my mark. Has cost me a lot  of pars or better...If it is 0 then it is neither up or down why isn't it always black and the same speed...Thanks a confused DAputts 

• garyk49
    2,314 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 4:55 PM

Rule of thumb has been to treat 0 as 1.  Move the aiming triangle around the hole to see rise or drop.  

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 6:53 PM

Red is down, Black is flat and Blue is up. So with a Zero, you could have a swing of 1.998 inches. -0.999 - 0.0 +0.999

*Disclaimer* I could be wrong.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:32 PM

Treat each "Zero down" at least as "One Up" because the arrow is likely to cheat you. At the least, take a look at the grid, also in reverse view. Far too often it will prove an upslope despite the arrow showing "down". Bethpage is a prominent example to this,

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:41 PM

uphill 0 and downhill zero I count as 1 up and 1 dn.  

The up/down indicator shows some amount of slope but not quite an inch either way.

Sort of like an approach shot showing that it's 2 yds but when you go to putt it, your 8 feet away which is more than 2 yds but not at 3. 

At least, that's how I see it. 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:56 PM

DAputts:
    I would like to know the difference between a black grid 0 down and a blue grid 0 up.

Don't over think it it,,hit them all firm.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:07 PM

MBaggese:
    Don't over think it it,,hit them all firm

^^^^This

As for an answer look after the hole, if it shows an elevation change, it is a good guide you need to hit it firmer.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:16 PM

alanti:
    As for an answer look after the hole, if it shows an elevation change, it is a good guide you need to hit it firmer.

Also, on longer putts, it may say you have a 28 foot putt, but if you move the aimer just past the cup, you might find that your putt is actually to the next foot increment,  29 feet in my example.  

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 11:50 PM

hpurey:
    Also, on longer putts, it may say you have a 28 foot putt, but if you move the aimer just past the cup, you might find that your putt is actually to the next foot increment,  29 feet in my example.  

Yep, this is what I really meant.

Also back to hitting putts firmly just consider how many putts you actually miss from under 4 feet - probably not many.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 1:11 AM

hi

yes, that's the theory. red down, blue up. black flat, but it's rarely the truth.

first of all. this all depends on your tier, green speed and sleep shape/slope.

generally, I always hit hard enough to hit 2-3ft by, as I dont want to come up 2" short. with that said, you have to look at hole location and slope behind the hole. if it goes up, then likely hole plays longer. if it goes shown, then likely shorter. on champ greens, this could be 5-8ft difference.

there is no way to be exact and there shouldn't be one. all you can do is keep notes, which holes play shorter, longer or have some subtle break (like if you are putting right below hole on #5 kiawah, it goes left but never shows such).

• PAGES
RSS