Help › Forums

Giving up.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 1 2010 12:30 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Miasma
    42 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 9:39 PM

I have hit the ceiling in this game for my skill. frustrated with not being able to pass tour pro and having bought clubs i still cant do it. so im giving up unless anyone can give me some tips i just cant seem to get passed my current skill level.

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 10:19 PM

You've only been playing for 2 weeks. Give it time.

Take what you understand about real golf and physics and throw it out the window for starters. WGT has its own set of rules.

TMPC

• Rickypro
    559 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:52 AM

Don't give up after 2 weeks!!

I have played PC golf games for as long as I can remember.  My only gripe with them is that they eventually get too easy.  That is why I enjoy WGT so much so far.  It is not easy and that is what makes it fun for me.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:56 AM

Wow, do i need help. I have read the FAQs about pitching and chipping and so on. I was playing bbp full 18 multiround earlier, and was on -2 coming onto the 15th. My second shot landed off the green, 11 yds from the hole(probably 3-4 from the edge of the green) My lie was 30-40% and i used the lwedge which gives me 16yds on the flop. I then aimed a nice bit left as the flop always seems to go right on me, and gave it almost full power(about 10mm from full). I hit the ding spot on, and the ball travelled about 1 foot. I then ended the hole on a triple bogey, and screwed up the rest of the round. Where am i going wrong? Any ideas anybody..................AAAARRRRGGGGHHH

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:06 AM

On the contrary TMPC, real golf knowledge has helped me immensely in this game.  While the physics are off a little, they have definitely helped with trajectories, club selection, and anything around the green regarding lie management.  Not sure if you are surprised but many a top player on the site are very good golfers in real life.

OP, where are you falling short?  You want tips?  Help us out, where are you losing shots?  You want my 2 cents based on your stats page?  Here you go:

1)  driving is fine, right where most of the better players, nothing to change except that perhaps you might want to risk hitting to spots that give you a better approach angle

2)  approach, you need to get this stat up.  More greens, equals more oppotunities at biridie, and if you miss should leave simpler pars. 

3)  putting, (A) you bought the other clubs, dump the beginner putter, forget accuracy, a better putter has an easier meter with a shorter putt distance.  a 6ft putt is easier to gauge on a 15ft meter, then a 30ft meter.  You should notice less lip outs with the better distance accuracy.  Hopefully that alone can save you that dumb 3 putt every now and then (couple strokes saved per round).  (B) Its easier to putt from shorter distances.  Improve your approaches is one thing you can do.  The other thing is your work around the green.  We all miss greens, but anything but a short chip to a severly downslope should be an automatic up and down.  Work your chips, pitches and flops.  Use back spin to check the ball.  Figure out those distances, what checks, what rolls.  Flops are helpful.  Leaving yourself less then 5ft for par versus 10ft for par should shave off another few strokes.

4)  You are in a CC, yet you rarely play match play.  Start playing more with others, preferrably friendly better players.  Watch there shots, watch the swings, watch the club changes, and ask them how they did something.

5)  New advice from me since I rarely did it before.  Play CTTH format.  Its great at learning different shots, and it takes minutes to complete, and you can just click replay to start again to try those exact same shots over and over, its actually a great practice facility

Thats all from me

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:22 AM

TWOMINUSONE:
    11 yds from the hole(probably 3-4 from the edge of the green) My lie was 30-40% and i used the lwedge which gives me 16yds on the flop. I then aimed a nice bit left as the flop always seems to go right on me, and gave it almost full power(about 10mm from full). I hit the ding spot on, and the ball travelled about 1 foot. ...............Where am i going wrong? Any ideas

I agree the Lob wedge flop should work well from there.  The only idea I have is perhaps the shot selector was on chip and not flop.  Since the virtual caddy likes to chip he gives me that shot virtually every time, and its one of my most frequent brain farts to forget to change it to pitch or flop.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:30 AM

Download WGT Caddy.

Use a Calculator.

Use them on your approach shots, pitches, chips, and putts.

Read the first post in the "Putting Tip: Distance Control" thread and skim the rest of it, except substitute the ruler and calculator for the "movements."

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 7:32 AM

TWOMINUSONE:
    My lie was 30-40% and i used the lwedge which gives me 16yds on the flop. I then aimed a nice bit left as the flop always seems to go right on me, and gave it almost full power(about 10mm from full). I hit the ding spot on, and the ball travelled about 1 foot. I then ended the hole on a triple bogey, and screwed up the rest of the round. Where am i going wrong? Any ideas anybody..................AAAARRRRGGGGHHH

This happened to me a few days ago.  From the sand on KIA 4(?), I had a roughly 19-yard flop travel 4 ft... and no, it didn't hit the lip of the bunker.  It didn't make it that far.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:55 AM

Thanks all for the advice. Firstly, without sounding sour, i always check what shot im on before i play because im playing long enough now to know that the shot can change, either by a slip or hovering over the club selection. As for hitting the green more often, believe me im trying. I dont think im doing to bad for someone who only joined in august. Chipping and pitching will get better with time i hope, but that flop shot is a nightmare altogether. The other putter i have made my game impossible. I never got a par round with it after many a round, but when i changed back to beginner putter the balls were flying in for me. Well, much better than before.

• Miasma
    42 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 8:59 AM

So i bought a new putter and driver today since its friday. and ur right its only been 2 weeks so i thought id continue trying. Hopefully the longer drives and new putter will help improve my game.

• PAGES
RSS