Forums

Help › Forums

pinehurst 4th hole

Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:18 AM (67 replies)
  • DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 6:08 PM

They don't play the same exact distance every round.

http://www.pinehurst.com/news/pinehurst-2-restoration-hole-hole-tour/

An excerpt :
    4TH HOLE

Par 4
    Yardage: 529 – 565
    New tee: Yes
    For the championships, this has been changed from a par-5 to a par-4 and will play about 530 yards for the men and about 450 yards for the women.

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 10:13 PM

cdefghi:

Tonight's Golf Channel telecast at 7:00 est had Bill Cromme and Ben Crenshaw- the design partnership that oversaw the "reconfiguration" of this beautiful old D. Ross course.  Anyone who's interested in learning a little about the original design and what Mr. Ross was trying to do, would do themselves a favor and see if that episode is available for viewing. Interesting points were made about #4 and also about a lot of the holes, and why they were each treated the way they were to get this beautiful final result.  Must see if this kind of history interests you, and will only make the actual viewing of the real tournament more interesting to watch. The U S Open's second only to the Masters, IMHO but might be first if it were played earlier in the season as the Masters is.

thanks for the info, i will check out golf channel online and see if its in the videos section

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 10:15 PM

DaveDwingdale:

They don't play the same exact distance every round.

http://www.pinehurst.com/news/pinehurst-2-restoration-hole-hole-tour/

An excerpt :
    4TH HOLE

Par 4
    Yardage: 529 – 565
    New tee: Yes
    For the championships, this has been changed from a par-5 to a par-4 and will play about 530 yards for the men and about 450 yards for the women.

its ok i know they dont play the same each day, thanks for the info on the hole, cant see the hole playing 565 but maybe one of the days it might play somewhere in between, like 547 yards

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Tue, Jun 10 2014 11:44 AM

Probably the USGA will be moving tees quite dramatically (for golf) in order to keep landing areas in better shape, especially with the Women's Open coming immediately after the men.

Unfortunately, WGT chose to make this particular hole (4) play from the extreme tips; pretty much nullifying the intent of the design.

If they  wanted to make it play like the Open the fairways should have been firmed up so that the ball would run farther.  Then we would have a chance to hit this green in regulation more often.

IRL the players are hitting drivers and 3-4 iron into this green.  

• tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Tue, Jun 10 2014 12:48 PM

WGT screwed up, plain and simple. Just say we made a mistake, we will forgive you, and we can all move on.

There is no way a hole will play 40 yards longer one day to the next.

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 9:58 AM

tigerfan1506:

I've seen many tournaments where the holes varied more than 40 yds from day to day. The pros play par 3 holes that vary by that much.  Why do you think it is not possible?

I think WGT has screwed up many times, but I don't think that listing the 4th at Pinehurst at 565 yds is one of them.

• tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 12:52 PM

DaveDwingdale:

tigerfan1506:

I've seen many tournaments where the holes varied more than 40 yds from day to day. The pros play par 3 holes that vary by that much.  Why do you think it is not possible?

I think WGT has screwed up many times, but I don't think that listing the 4th at Pinehurst at 565 yds is one of them.

Here is the official yardage as quoted from the US Open website scorecard.

#4 529 Yards

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 4:31 PM

hi guys,

we'll find out this weekend whether they will use 565 tee or not. as for our config, it'll stay the same,. so please direct all the hate towards me :)

-wgticon

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 2:35 AM

WGTicon:

hi guys,

we'll find out this weekend whether they will use 565 tee or not. as for our config, it'll stay the same,. so please direct all the hate towards me :)

-wgticon

We doing 568 not 565, but as you said, it won't change anything in WGT, it is done & it is forever.

Nah mate you not guilty or to be blamed of anything but the ones who set it up the hole in WGT from the start....who knows who they are?.

Eric

• borntobesting
    9,633 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 2:50 AM

LOLserver:
    We doing 568 not 565, but as you said, it won't change anything in WGT, it is done & it is forever.

They changed it to 565 during the update the other night. At least it is 565 in the U.S. Open week event. I just looked at the scorecard for the qualifier and it has changed to 565 as well.

RSS