Forums

Help › Forums

Legend tier

Mon, Apr 21 2014 9:59 AM (20 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 9:21 PM

Dang Bob, I remember the old days when I helped you out. Look at ya now making me look like an old Hack. Whoops I just opened a can of worms for the trolls to feed on. How ya been?

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 9:44 PM

BOBTX61:

I think you made the same mistake that I made right after I made Legend. When you reached Legend, your average was 61.00.  Then, like me, you went right out and posted a couple of rounds that were too high; So, WGT jumped your average up to 71.00. I think my average was pushed up to 73.00. 

So, I spent approximately 16 months working my average down from 73.00 to where it is now, which is 64.95....or (8) strokes in 16 months time. 

Excuse me Bob, these thoughts don't hit the point IMHO.

Due to the nonlinear nature of the saturated average, it's not about "starting from high scores and working the number down", but rather "collect 500 low scores to form a certain average".

What counts today? You have achieved 500 scores which result in a 64.95 average, and none of the 900 higher rounds matters in any way. Thus, whether you played an 80 score or whether you quit such rounds is irrelevant. Posting the score was not a mistake, from today's perspective. Quitting it would have saved you some time and balls but kept you from practicing the last holes of the courses and resulted in less XPs being granted.

I protected my precious Legend average through the first 370 rounds, reaching a 67.6 ave. Since then, I've posted 100 rounds regardless, bringing me up to 68.3 but closer to 500.

Which part was the mistake?

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 10:53 PM

Excuse me, Alosso, but where are you coming from with your comment?

As I read your comment, you come off as though you believe you are the more successful Legend than me; I beg to differ.

Compare my statistics vs. yours.  Even though we have nearly the same number of ranked rounds (2,000), my avg. is 3 strokes lower than yours.  I have double the number of your 84 Eagles and almost twice as many holed shots as your 125.  My putting avg. is lower & most of my other statistics best yours'.  Sort of looks to me, you've got some catching up to do - ya' think?

It's no big deal that I didn't protect my average after making Legend.  My avg. is considerably better than yours.

Listen, it doesn't matter.  For any member to make Legend is a great achievement!

I was merely pointing out to the one member that he has a lot of work ahead of him in an effort to lower his average.  His & my mistake was not protecting our average for the required rounds before WGT put a freeze on not allowing our averages to go up.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:38 PM

Average and stats,  not a true picture always....  I have seen TL with a 52 average  but when u check the stats it shows they play the same unlimited tournament 50 times... Some don't have so good ones but are way better players, or gamers..

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 12:35 AM

BOBTX61:
    As I read your comment, you come off as though you believe you are the more successful Legend than me; I beg to differ.

I beg to differ: Not my belief and not at all my intention to express it that way. I'm sorry if it appeared so. Furtheron, I don't judge players from their average or stats unless it's a point of their question. Of course I noticed that you are a more experienced Legend than me, with remarkably lower average.

I was but objecting to your POV of the average development, repeated here:

BOBTX61:
    His & my mistake was not protecting our average for the required rounds before WGT put a freeze on not allowing our averages to go up.

This is because 900 of your Legend rounds - the 900 highest scores - are no longer in the calculation even though you did not protect yourself from posting them. They disappear into oblivion by themselves. The only scores which count now are the 500 forming the current average; the only scores counting for promotion are those forming a 60 average. The latter will make quite a few of the current scores irrelevant in the end.

In summary and IMHO, it's rather a mistake to protect the average than not. My final question pointed to the fact that I did both as a Legend.

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 9:53 AM

I do apologize, Alosso.

Didn't intend to be rude or disrespectful towards you.

Your summary statement makes sense.  I guess now, I just have to continue to improve my game & my average should take care of itself.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 10:34 AM

You're welcome Bob, no harm taken!

I'm quite used to be misunderstood, partly due to writing (and reading) in foreign language, partly because there's a severe difference in expression - being frank (some may say, blunt) is not always well understood :)

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 11:43 AM

Yay! You're friends!!! Well done Bob and Alosso!

A nice thread!!!!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 4:42 PM

BOBTX61:
    my average should take care of itself.

^this.....
    Avoiding courses, quitting rounds or whatever players do to "protect their average" is counter productive. The "average" is a lagging indicator of how well we're doing so paying attention to it is a waste of time. At Legend Tier especially, just playing the best you can each round and on each shot is the most productive to bettering our games.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:55 AM

lee22sharon:
    Recommendations on a "Legend" ball to use, or stick with the nike ?  My Nickle!!!

Welcome to the black tees, Lee. IMO, the 33 Callaway will serve you quite nicely and save a lot of nickles.  ;-)

RSS