Forums

Help › Forums

Whats the best irons available?

Tue, Sep 9 2014 8:07 PM (28 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 11:56 AM

MichaelStroke:

Stopping power's THAT bad, huh.  I figured with the 33 Callies and their 3.5 spin, they could help balls stick where they stand - at least enough to compensate for the drop-off from the R11 or Nikes.

The MAX high traj. 94s show spin of 3.

"                  "          45s show spin of 4.

The Nike 85s hig traj. irons are 3.5 and the 97s are 4.5. 

One top pro I've seen is using the Nike 97s irons (4.5 spin) w/ balls of at least 3.5 spin*. (8 spin combined) Other pros are using balls with more spin, commonly 4.6. **

If I had the Max 45 (4 spin) I'd mix them w/ balls of 3.5 (7.5 total) and balls also w/ high distance ratings for long drives to make up for the lower distance of the irons.

My luck has been w/ balls of 3.5 spin and G25 L59 and Nike 85 irons both w/ high traj. and spin of 3 & 3.5 (6.5 - 7 spin total)

If I had the Max 94s (3 spin) I'd try for balls with spin of 4. (7 total) If I wanted more stick I'd have to use a ball w/ more spin, natch.

Individual results will vary.

------

* one top player had

NIKE 20XI-X RZN  (L61+)  (3.5 spin) w/ Nike 97 irons (4.5 spin = 8 total) good value

** many top members are using

NIKE (90 or 92)  (4.6 spin) w/ Nike 97 irons (4.5 spin) = 9.1 spin total

[I'm guessing that when you have that much spin, you're not moving the spin dot back as much as you did when you had less total spin value, and even occasionally a little more so forward, depending on the circumstance]

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 11:27 PM

MichaelStroke:

Stopping power's THAT bad, huh.  I figured with the 33 Callies and their 3.5 spin, they could help balls stick where they stand - at least enough to compensate for the drop-off from the R11 or Nikes.

It's not the spin exactly, more the trajectory.  The level 94 has a trajectory similar to the top G25s, high but not as high as the Nikes, R11s, or even the Rocket/Speedblades.   The Nikes and Taylor Made crew fly noticeably higher than the Max and  Pings, which coupled with the spin makes the difference especially with the long irons.   

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 11:46 PM

courteneyfish:
    If you can handle the speed then I think that the R11's are the best clubs here. Sadly I couldn't.

The only reason I can use the R11's is the fact that I use the 90  Nike Platinums.... they slow the meter down to about the speed of the speedblades.  I haven't found a ball that slows those clubs down any more than what these do.

Personally, I'll be waiting a bit  to get the 97 VR's....their club distances are the same as the R11's plus a slower meter. But, alas, I have a ways to go to get to 97....

~Steven~

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 3 2014 4:47 AM

DarkenRahl:

MichaelStroke:

I'm guessing that the black Max irons (around lvl 94 or something) are crap if you didn't mention them.

Not quite total crap, but you can't attack tucked pins like with the Nikes or R11s.   For a ding challenged player who putts very well could be a good fit.  You just aren't going to have flagsticks shaking in fear.

After  a 9-month complete absence from wgt (education) I returned and had the G-10's. That was a year ago (I know because I just hit 365 days of play). Out of nowhere, I was gifted the Max 94 irons. I have used them ever since. Are they good ? Maybe. In that year, I added around 175 eagles (most all holed shots) and 10 HOI's. I suppose they are pretty good. All things come to an end however. As I type the last period now, I am going to buy the L-97's...right now.  

• kubby1
    572 Posts
    Wed, Sep 3 2014 8:27 AM

I am having a problem with Shot Pal and Putt Pal.  I am unable to control the slider to get the correct yardage and  distance on  each shot.  The slide will stop and start to slide back before I can stop it where I want.  Has anyone else had this problem>  If anyone know how to fix this problem please respond.. 

Kubby1

• peoch
    1,127 Posts
    Wed, Sep 3 2014 9:42 AM

Nice to hear what people say abouth different clubs, but i will say as many of y guys, RAPTURES is my favorite, hate that i sold them. No i play the Nike lvl 97 very good clubs with the Nike lvl 40 ball.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 3 2014 10:56 AM

... a trajectory similar to the top G25s, high but not as high as the Nikes, R11s, or even the Rocket/Speedblades. 

---

Thanks Great info to have. I might have used it when I chose to give the Pings a try on Oak F9. The last hole's approach was a challenge w/ tailwind, natch, there are the suggestions to lay up in the bunker. too.

• 1yes1no
    223 Posts
    Sun, Sep 7 2014 5:26 PM

The mid-level G-25 looks good.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 8:07 PM

SweetiePie:
    All things come to an end however. As I type the last period now, I am going to buy the L-97's...right now.  

And I did, about a week ago. I loved the Max 94s, but I adore the L-97s. I'm not used to them yet but I appreciate what they can do. I am OK with the 3.0 meter speed, and I wondered about failing with it. Great Irons !

RSS