• Zws221
    8 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 9:06 AM

I swear by my G20's

• nigyrob
    92 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 1:51 PM

MainzMan:
    I do kinda wish I'd kept some of the old gear I've had though, especially the Raptures.

Yes, I sadly made the mistake of selling my Raptures. With the spin on some of the balls we have the choice of today they would still be a club to be reckoned with and could do a lot of damage coming up through the ranks.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 1:57 PM

MainzMan:
    You should have tried the i15

With a Tour-SD ball!  Sure had to pay attention with that setup but was worth the effort, at the time. Maybe G25's could be the modern version of those i15's. No more distance than the Nikes but serious accuracy and precision with just as serious hurt for missing the ding.

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Mon, Apr 14 2014 2:41 PM

Zws221:
    I swear by my G20's
    I swear at all my clubs, haha.

• ZFinest
    1 Posts
    Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:21 PM

Purchased the L90 TM R11 irons and in the first two rounds, I had 2 eagles (only had a total of 3 before this) and 9 birdies.  The length makes a huge difference and gives you more short game shots and birdie opportunities.  Next up, L76 Cleveland 56 degree wedge to lock in greater accuracy from 70-100 yds.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Sun, Aug 31 2014 7:34 AM

I use level 79 bladez I love them good spin good distances highly recommend I know a lot of people over level 100 that use still

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 31 2014 4:37 PM

I have the Nike 97s and 85s but I'm not at the tier to fully apply them correctly. Plus, IMO you need the right ball match.

I like the 97s for the distance, and I like the 85s because they are easy to handle and they work nice on Pinehurst.

Tests also suggest that the 85s are one of the best for results, even compared to the 97s.

I just got the G25 L59 (HIGH traj.irons) because I wanted to try a slower meter and a cheaper ball for streaming on Twitch (CPU is pegged when I broadcast) but I've noticed that i am getting better scores w/ them. I've been testing using them on Merion B9,  Con and Kia (not so good on PH, STA, Mer F9) I think a ball w/ 3.5 spin works great w/ the G25 spin rating 3.

A ball w/ 2.5+ meter helps make the meter playable, but an off ding is not so good w/ the Ping 59s. But an accurate calculation and proper spin control is key, perhaps.

I'm going to keep bring my average down and testing out courses w/ the G25s till I hone in on how to hit the Nikes if I tier up, later on.

edit:

To be clear, my new G25 L59 irons overall in general (using a ball of 3.5 spin and at least 2.5 meter) have got me lower scores than my Nike 85s and Nike 97s.

The level 59 irons have lowered my average by approx 3-4 points within about a week.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Mon, Sep 1 2014 12:19 PM

MainzMan:

The answers you get are probably not going to help you much I'm afraid.

Players between L85 and 89 are probably going to say Nike.

Those between L90 and 96 will say R11.

And those L97 and above will say Nike again.

The truth is the best set of irons is almost always going to be the ones available at the highest level and for the highest price. 

For what it's worth I probably had the most fun here while using Raptures, sadly no longer available.  The G10 would be a close second though.  Also now gone.

For a real feeling of having played well when you hit a good shot the i15 are tough to beat though.

I'm guessing that the black Max irons (around lvl 94 or something) are crap if you didn't mention them.

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 10:18 AM

MichaelStroke:

I'm guessing that the black Max irons (around lvl 94 or something) are crap if you didn't mention them.

Not quite total crap, but you can't attack tucked pins like with the Nikes or R11s.   For a ding challenged player who putts very well could be a good fit.  You just aren't going to have flagsticks shaking in fear.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Sep 2 2014 10:51 AM

DarkenRahl:

MichaelStroke:

Not quite total crap, but you can't attack tucked pins like with the Nikes or R11s.   For a ding challenged player who putts very well could be a good fit.  You just aren't going to have flagsticks shaking in fear.

Stopping power's THAT bad, huh.  I figured with the 33 Callies and their 3.5 spin, they could help balls stick where they stand - at least enough to compensate for the drop-off from the R11 or Nikes.

RSS