Forums

Help › Forums

unreal ... unfair... expensive bug

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 16 2019 8:33 AM (29 replies)
  • guymarb
    2 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 3:18 AM

A golf ball does not rebound 35 yards off of a 'flexible' flagstick.  (see attached saved shot)

It's a movable pole, not a brick wall. Bouncing back 30 plus yards is impossible.

Refund requested for lost ball

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=0516af4d-f03d-4f27-a547-a30300a60d52

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 12:50 PM

It is what it is.

If you go to YouTube you can find videos that show the same kind of rebound happening to real pro players.

There are no golf rules that apply to the flag stick, though the rule makes do make some recommendations. With no standards, how would WGT model the physical flex of a flag stick?

I hit the same flag stick but lower down on the stick just the other day, and the ball (Nike Lvl 81+ 550 credits per sleeve) rebounded over 50 yards into the burn. I took the bogey the lost ball caused, kept my cool, and went on to an 18 hole score of 62.

Life's a beach. Sometimes you're the windshield. Sometimes you're the bug.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 12:58 PM

Watch, read, and learn...

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/225974.aspx

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 1:03 PM

guymarb:
    A golf ball does not rebound 35 yards off of a 'flexible' flagstick.

Yes it most certainly does...and fairly regularly too.

• lisalovesthesun
    185 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 1:21 PM

These two in last few days RG rounds.

replay.aspx?ID=451b9291 a1bb 4dc7 bfb2 a2ff0116f7da

replay.aspx?ID=10269bec ee57 40c3 b0ec a2fd0124bbf2

All my fault really not removing stick.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 1:35 PM

guymarb:
    Refund requested for lost ball

Just to solidify your case - I heard Tiger Woods also requested the PGA give him a replacement ball when he hit the pin and ended up in the water at last years Masters.

Rumor is they said sorry Tiger, no can do.........and the real reason he is not playing this year is not due to injury, but he is out of balls.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:19 PM

At 700 credits a pop , he will be lmao ....................

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:36 PM

guymarb:
    It's a movable pole, not a brick wall. Bouncing back 30 plus yards is impossible

Seen balls goes 300 yards of flag sticks in this game.

Ball hitting a medal/ hard plastic flag stick from different angles from long range a ball can do just about anything once hit.

A- ball can stop next to the pin.

B- can fly to the rough surrounding the green.

C - hit the side of pin and rebound any distance.

D- the same can happen on the real golf course, It really is pot luck what happens.

You have an option on this game with approach shots and is recommended pull the flag stick out on all approach shots to avoid this from happening.

E - Should WGT refund a ball (no) They are not in fault it is something what happens in golf from time to time on here and the real course.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 11:07 PM

C'mon guys, you can't call this characteristic realistic. These pins are like granite sticks! I don't view professional golf too much but I play the real game frequently. The only time I've seen a WGT type of bounce of 30+ yds IRL was at Merion (Mickelson IIRC), and these sticks are three times the usual diameter to support the baskets, and really stiff! And, how often will a real ball bounce away more than the original shot was, 200, 300 yds, and at an angle >140° (towards the back end of the hole)?

OTOH, have you ever seen a WGT flagstick allow the ball to hit it near the top and drop into the hole vertically? Not me, but these shots happen in the real world - I had one!

Gimme a break - WGT's sticks are of a special kind!

OTOH, we can pull the flags from the tee if we want - quite impossible in the real game. Or, unlikely, if you remember Phil's action from last year, sending his caddy to tend the flag for a shot from 90 yds out.

• guymarb
    2 Posts
    Fri, Apr 4 2014 11:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks....

But... a high, lofted 45 yard wedge shot on a downward flight cannot rebound directly back 35 yards. 

Ain't possible. Good to see that at least one person agrees.

I stand by my assertion.

RSS