• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 10:59 AM

Lee Westwood - 2013 US Open -

Tiger Woods - 2013 Masters  -

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:40 AM

Of course there may be such singular examples, but Lee hit the basket not the stick, and Tiger's ball went in a ca. 90° direction, downhill...

Not quite valid proof of WGT's sticks acting real IMHO.

What about a "200 yds from the stick" shot?

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 12:23 PM

Question. never played any of them but don't most of the seaside courses in GB have those real thick and rigid flagsticks because of the winds? (hard and constant)(just asking)

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sat, Apr 5 2014 1:30 PM

What do you want to prove?

Most of GB seaside courses are not represented here, and one of the weirdest bounce replays in my memory is from KIA (#7?). The ball left the course, passing the cart path behind the green. Another one @OLY#16 - carooming into the woods (behind the green of course).

There have been numerous complaints and many proves by replay in the past - neglecting these appears unreal.

The flag bounces are a detail of unrealism which we have to accept IMHO: It won't be changed soon. "Fairness" is only in the fact that all players are affected the same, and that we may avoid it by pulling the flag whenever necessary.

Edited.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 10:52 AM

fatdan:

Question. never played any of them but don't most of the seaside courses in GB have those real thick and rigid flagsticks because of the winds? (hard and constant)(just asking)

And shorter than most other courses.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking for hit-the-stick videos but there are others out there that show the ball bouncing lots of yards off a flag stick.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 11:16 AM

alosso:

What do you want to prove?

Most of GB seaside courses are not represented here, and one of the weirdest bounce replays in my memory is from KIA (#7?). The ball left the course, passing the cart path behind the green.

LOL, bad day or someone piss in your cheerios?

It was a question and Kiwiah is also right on the water, you know, where the winds can be pretty heavy...over here windy courses sometimes have those short, fat, heavier gauge metal sticks so I asked since none of the courses I play have hosted an Open! LOL

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 12:40 PM

What about a "200 yds from the stick" shot?

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 12:59 PM

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 1:39 PM

@PaulTon: Impressive! Actio = reactio.

An elastic ball hitting an immovable surface square will bounce back with about the same speed and energy and move back as far it would have moved on without the obstacle.

Now imagine a golf ball shot with the intention to land and stop on the green. It will have much less kinetic energy than it had 100, 200 yds out where it started. A thinkable remaining flight length would be 10 yds, and the ball is severely losing height. If not, it would miss the green anyway. This relatively slow ball hits a surface - the pin - with the energy to move on for said 10 yds, usually downwards. What do you expect after the bounce?

I expect, and get in reality,

- a bounce of about 10 yds. maybe a bit more if the pin moves against the ball or if it rolls down the nasty Augusta green,

- a bounce angle of < 90° in reverse direction.

I certainly do not expect a "bounce" with a small change of direction, towards the back of the green, nor a bounce with the energy to fly another 200 yds. Where should this energy come from?

Nah, WGT sticks act like granite, frequently injecting energy to the balls for their impossible far flights.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Apr 6 2014 1:42 PM

alosso:
    pins are like granite sticks!

Sometimes they are like granite and you do get that ball rebounding badly, albeit using a lofted wedge.

But in my time I can recall 2 shots ricocheting like a bullet - out of over 100 flag hits. I have also probably holed half a dozen of these despite travelling way to fast, and others that have also been close by virtue of hitting the pin. Overall, I have benefitted from hitting the pin.

Yes there are documented shots of pros hitting the pin and bouncing wildly as well.

I suppose the difference is we hit hundreds of thousands of shots into the green on this game, usually with a lot more accuracy than the pros (proven by scoring and distances to the hole) so we will see more occurrences than in real golf.

Is it fair? Probably not but I cannot see a change for such a minute percentage of times this happens. When you look at how many shots are hit in a day and how infrequently this occurs, WGT are not making a killing on this.

If WGT were going to make changes I would much prefer it to happen on drops and balls in 6 inches of water, but that is not going to happen either.

RSS