Forums

Help › Forums

how can i score like a pro?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 17 2010 1:51 PM (4 replies)
  • wynnkin
    3 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 1:24 PM

i shoot a decent round, look at the leaderboard, and see i'm not even close.  what is the real secret to shooting low rounds here?  i have decent clubs and balls but can't seem to average 3 strokes per hole like some of these people do.  i just want to know what the 'trick' is. 

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:42 PM

wynnkin:

i shoot a decent round, look at the leaderboard, and see i'm not even close.  what is the real secret to shooting low rounds here?  i have decent clubs and balls but can't seem to average 3 strokes per hole like some of these people do.  i just want to know what the 'trick' is. 

Honestly here is a lot of your problem,

Green in Regulation % 51.13%
    Avg. Distance to Pin 28 Ft.

Sand Save % 21.63%
    Scrambling % 27.88%

If I take a look at your history you are not playing any scored/ranked rounds. Tournaments are the toughest conditions and you are killing yourself in some respect.I would guess you are fighting most of the time to save par when you hit the green and have some huge putts. When you are not on the green you scramble way to much and have not practiced this over and over and it shows in your sand and scrambling %. But hey, this is ok and it gives you a starting point on what to work on. I would also recommend you get rid of that awful spider putter as well. Look at your putting % past 10 feet. You have played no match plays and therefore you have not been able to see what others are doing.  Have you really practiced and use the flop, pitch and chip shots. Most master and especially some of the legends rarely make a bogey. Sorry but you did ask.  I am sure others far better than I will point out a few things as well but I think this is a great starting point. GL!

Edited: Also if you are not using the punch at least on 3-4 holes in an 18 hole round you are missing some easy birdies as well.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:12 PM

You have to cut out the guesswork, which means a ruler and a calculator for every approach shot and putt over 3 ft or so.

When it comes to 50-175 -yard iron shots, if you do not consistently choose the correct distance and aim, i.e. a distance and aim that is within 2 yards of the pin (minus the deviations due to imprecision and a perhaps slightly missed aim click,) then you will never be a top player.

We do not hit 15 yards short or 15 yards long, our pitches do not go 10 yards past the hole or come up short, still in the rough, and our putts do not come up short more than 0.5% of the time or scream 5-15 ft past the hole (though sometimes it is all but inevitable that a putt going 5-8 ft past the hole will happen due to extremely fast greens and a hard break.)

There are no "hit it over the trees... you'll make it" tricks (well, maybe one or two.)  We just take every shot seriously and make sure that it will almost assuredly go exactly where we want it to go.

• wynnkin
    3 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:17 PM

thanks for the input sarge.  i've improved my putting some with the spider.  only had it for a week or so.  is there a place to go to practice specific shots? rather than having to play the entire hole?  i guess CTTH would be good for that but it seems to be so inconsistent.  it seems like if i make very small adjustments that the resultas are very different.

thanks again.  wynn  8^)

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 1:51 PM

unfortunately no, but you can go into practice rounds and putt, hit the ball back to the same area and do it again, you get up to 10 shots per hole. Practice it all from the rough pitching and all that. Here is one tip I will share, if you are more than 1 foot away from the green never use the chip but pitch. Also on Flop if you notice the ball always goes to the right the cure for that is to stop on the line at the left edge of the blue area on the down swing. Be consistent I always always put backspin on flop, pitch and chip shots. Learn how far a ball will roll on pitch, chip and punch shots with and without backspin. Hope that helps.

RSS