Help › Forums

Just Remove Purchasing Restrictions for Sanity's Sake

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 22 2010 9:22 AM (31 replies)
  • VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 2:15 AM

So many different threads boil down to the same thing:

Whoever came up with the idea to restrict purchasing at WGT should be sent on a business course.

Restricting a customer's ability to purchase is insane!!

If you want people who already have equipment to buy more equipment then gradually introduce more (slightly better: slightly longer distances, slightly slower meter speeds etc.). That's how it works in the real world (it works - the manufacturers make money).

How much profit has been lost already? I feel really sorry for you WGT. Someone there is sabotaging your business.

I have transferred £20 (~$30) to PayPal ready to buy some decent equipment. Until I'm free to buy what I want you won't see a penny of it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 5:50 AM

The Pro shop changed overnight. Check it out.  :-)

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 10:34 AM

???

Looks the same to me: Locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, we'll let you have this 1 (aren't we nice?), locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, etc!

• SEK1
    38 Posts
    Fri, Sep 3 2010 12:01 PM

Looks to me like they made it a combination between tiers and levels, which is close to the right thing to do so the people hitting from the big boy tees can finally get a driver that keeps up.

however in real life it can be your first time ever golfing and if you can afford a $400 driver you can buy a $400 dollar driver, its not like the golf shop asks what your handicap or average score is before you buy so i don't understand the idea of any restrictions period based off of WGT's explanation of the new level system at this point.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:02 PM

As far as I can see the business model is sound.

Let me explain.

You have to think about it as someone starting at level 1.

It takes time to move up levels and fewer clubs are unlocked at each level so WGT is hoping that the new members will be purchasing more sets because they progress at a slower rate.

Before the update everyone pretty much was a pro before they bought anything because you were moved there so quickly. That means that each member only bought two sets of clubs (pro and master)......in the new system each member will probably buy 5 or 6 sets as they move up.

That's the way I see it anyways.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:46 PM

It is not a sound business model unless they have made a simultaneous adjustment in the amount of time required before a move up in tiers has been done. Basing club purchasing strictly on quantity without regard to quality of play means that new players will be moving up tiers without being able to purchase clubs for that tier. Exactly the situation we were all screaming about the other day.

WGT has already indicated the clubs are only available to us a few more days and then we will be locked out again. So, back to the same situation for anyone new.

Likewise, if they have adjusted tiers to also involve quantity play, it's conceivable that you will have people with 65 averages playing from the front tees for months or years.

Again, tiers should unlock those items that directly affect the game play, namely at  least some clubs and balls for that tier.. Levels should unlock the extras (avatars, clothes, etc.). If they want levels to unlock some clubs that's ok but one should not preclude the other.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:23 PM

The problem isn't that people can or can't buy clubs.  The problem is that the best way to make money in this game right now is to be a level 30 amateur and that most legends are now stuck into a tier from which they cannot make any money.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:24 PM

That's it in a nut-shell Shrellim. I agree. WGT should fix this immediately.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Sep 4 2010 10:50 PM

CharlemagneRH- I question whether the majority of the money WGT stands to make comes from the people you are referring to. I bet the majority of the people who pay and play here are here for recreation and are not here to make money. The current legends group is loyal and very vocal but not the bulk of the future for WGT. Their problems are different because they already have the equipment; their needs should be addressed apart from the rest of us.

Probably the easiest way to solve many problems is to force all players in certain types of games to play from the same tees. I also think that ranked rounds should not factor into tournament play. Players should have a separate handicap (tier) for tournaments based on past tournament performance.That would slow down some of the sandbagging.

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 6:32 AM

Absolutely srellim. Charlemagne, you live on another planet. Only a tiny minority of people play here to make money. (To be honest I wouldn't have though it would be worth the time. How much do you make an hour here?)

The problem is entirely that people can't buy the clubs they want or need and it's a ludicrous system: Totally unrealistic and totally unprofitable. Let beginners have uber-drivers with fast meter speeds. If they can handle it they'll rocket up the ratings and rightly so and if they can't they won't (and will look a bit daft losing to people with beginner clubs). Every one will be happy (except a few masters and legends who'll be disappointed to find more people at their level). The beginners get nice kit. WGT make sales they would not have made otherwise.

It is a very, very bad business model. That is why it is not replicated anywhere else in the world in any other business! WGT are not business geniuses forging a new path. It seems to me they are exercising power for the sake of it: "Let's restrict people because we can" (evil laugh). I can see no other explanation for such bizarre behaviour. For some reason everybody else accepts it as reasonable or even sensible.

Cater to the masses WGT. That's the route to profit in any market. Catering to the elite is never profitable. Ask FIAT where their profits come from - it ain't Ferrari.

One last thought, I wonder what PING and other manufacturers who kindly let WGT use their trademarks would think about their products being kept from being used:

• Every player with a PING club is advertising that club.
    • Every player refused a PING club is a source of advertising that PING have been denied.
    • How happy about that would they be I wonder?

Don't tell me it's a good business model. It so obviously is bad for all.

RSS