Forums

Help › Forums

Ok seriously ..... suggestions with a bit of griping

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 1 2009 8:38 AM (41 replies)
  • mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 9:05 PM

Avatar, I understand the near riot that erupted when the accuracy was signficantly degraded on a mishit. However, what DIDN'T happen then was increasing the club distances. If I shanked a drive then, it was 30 yards left or right of where I aimed. However, if I shank one but still hit 250-260 yards (like most pros), I'm not looking at a long iron from the rough, I'm looking at a short iron. As they should be more accurate than longer irons, the results should be similar with a shanked drive and a short iron from the rough compared to a pasable drive on the fairway and a long iron to the green. The biggest thing, however, would be to all but remove the variance/beast/deviation on perfect swings. Speed up the meter and make the deviation amount linear related to the amount of mishit and the need for any preset variance should go away.

I really do understand the accuracy camp's side of this. However, just because the net results are the same doesn't meant it makes it as realistic as possible. This is my baseball fan side of me talking, but just take a look at the stats. PGA Tour driving accuracy in the 60-70 percent range? Here??? Nope. PGA Tour average driving distance about 270-280 yards? Here??? Nope.

And Ketner, I don't necessarily think the solution to be a "red zone" on the meter. Simply increasing the normal club distance but make the meter faster and penalize mishits roughly as is done now would probably make stats more similar to those on the Tour and of good amateurs.

• birdieman45
    16 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 10:04 PM

Amen to that... I love this game but at times it can be frustrating

1,644 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 4:53 AM

I actually like the red zone suggestion!  Nice one.  I have always said give ME the option to shoot myself in the foot.  If I want to take the risk to white knuckle rip it, I will, but if I miss I will gladly pay the consequences.  However, if you do go into the red zone make it so you HAVE to hit perfect to have any chance at hitting the fairway or being anywhere but 10 yard into the trees.

Thanks for the constructive suggestion!

Lee

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 11:00 AM

LOL.. red zone mis-hit....

Wii sports anyone?

1,644 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 12:08 PM

LOL Really? I've never played it, wouldn't know.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 12:33 PM

If you try to put more power than is recommended, the power bar starts to waggle left and right (direction of shot)...

Should you mis-hit with lots of power and you are not 'spot on' you can end up with a very serious hook or slice. 

Quite entertaining actually.

Cheers

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 12:52 PM

Was the same in the EA Sports Tiger Woods series as well.

The desginers of the game seem to being aiming at a golfing experience from the perspective of an 18 handicapper.  In reality, at that skill level we don;t really have that 'extra gear' we can put into a shot to give it extra distance.  At that level, you'd rarely ever make solid contact if you swung as hard as you could, maybe 2% of the time.  I'm pretty sure that's why they leave the option for a 'red-zone' out of their game, as it conflicts with their design of a golfer at that level I stated above.

It sure was fun to rear back and smash a 'Tiger-Drive' though, I'll admit lol.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2009 12:57 PM

Oh my yes... and please don't forget changing the spin of the ball mid-flight!!!

VERRRRRY realistic!  lol

Cheers

• Mathusalem
    8 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2009 6:29 AM

I read in another thread a good suggestion: add shooting distance according to tier

amateur + 5 yds

pro + 10 yds

master + 15 yds

IMHO this could be helpful and realistic

Red zone is another good idea :)

• ToughCool
    70 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2009 7:28 AM

TheTruth, like Ketner said, what you are not getting in all of this...for some reason it flies over your head...is that it doesn't matter what they are shooting in real life and here because in real life they are shooting those scores with drivers that go 285-300. So you are actually proving our point. Even with less accuracy people would like to play a "realistic" game that maybe makes you hit 3-Wood if you can't hit driver but at least you can get it out there. Your points will continue to make no sense when they aren't based in thwe reality of golf..not matter that the scores are here.

RSS