Forums

Help › Forums

taylor wedge backspin

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 5 2009 12:26 PM (23 replies)
  • salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 5:40 AM

Lee , i find no spin whatsover on the talor wedges. For example, #15 using the 54 W taylor, full bs i rang the bell hit it perfect landing 2 feet behind the hole, which u know is very steep, instead of sticking and rolling back towards the hole, the ball rolled 12 uphill. So instead of birdie, i get 12ft to the hole with 11 in of drop. LOL.. , also if our putts have to hit the perfect mark, why do we get a beta putter? give us a decent putter first, then make the putting harder.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 5:54 AM

Salamii,

On 15, you need to take into account the fact that that approach is severe uphill in relation to distance, so the ball is landing closer to the top of the arc of the shot, this translates to a lot more forward momentum when it hits the green.  I do understand the expectation that the ball will still roll back some on that slope, but it may not be as much as you may expect.  Try hitting the same shot with full top spin and I'm pretty sure it will end up near the back of the green.

Lee

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 6:10 AM

closest to the hole tourney, hole #8 is #15, i always use full bs on that shot, probably 95% of the shots i get good roll back to the hole, a foot or two usaally with a tour starter iron.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 6:36 AM

Yeah I've seen that too, but I still think it's a distance vs elevation thing here.  But overall I think #15 is a bad example to use.  I'll have to try it out myself on a flat surface with no elevation and compare.

I'll let you know what I find.

Lee

1,644 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 7:00 AM

Results are in, look at my replays and judge for yourself.  Not much of a difference, but there is a difference.

Test BS with TM 60*

Test BS with Tour Starter 60*

Test BS with TM 54*

Test BS with Tour Starter 54*

Keep in mind too the TMs are hitting 10 yards longer each with a med/high trajectory.  The tour starters are a high trajectory.

All in all, not quite the results I expected for upgraded clubs.

Lee

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 8:20 AM

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY LEE

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 2:54 PM

Thanks for the input Lee. Watched your test replays and you're right, it's there but hard to notice without comparison. I guess on some of the greens the extra foot or two can make or break you. Thanks again for the input

Mike

1,644 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2009 11:10 AM

Any input from WGT folks about this?  Was this the original intention, or did you maybe miss something here?  Just wondering.

Lee

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 1:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are concluding that the TM gives you a few feet of backspin, yes that was the intention.

• SG13
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 4:39 PM

I have the Ping wedges and they work good, I still don't like how fast the downswing is though.

RSS