Forums

Help › Forums

taylor wedge backspin

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 5 2009 12:26 PM (23 replies)
  • drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:12 PM

Why don't these stop the ball ? Had the tour starters first then upgraded to the taylors. 1.5 compared to 3.5 and I'm not really seeing a difference. I wasn't thinking the ball would walk back to me, but I thought the ball might not run so far. WGT I think there needs to be more difference between the club classes. I noticed quite a difference between the starter and tour starter wedges and thought it would be the same with the taylors. The distance seems right but the backspin needs more attention.

Thanks for the new upgrade.

Still can't get enough of your site.

Mike

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:18 PM

on bethpage its hard to stop alot of approaches cause they land higher then where you hit them from. so they land flatter and have more momentum. Thats why on some of the holes, 4 and 5 irons stop dead even without backspin. Cause they are droppin down from so high. Elevation means SO MUCH on what a golf ball will do when it lands.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:26 PM

I went back to Kiawah and tried them with the same result. Still the ball just rolls away. Like I said, I wasn't expecting a walkback, just a little more stopping power.

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:42 PM

ive found, on kiawah, that you do have much more. Sometimes it seems not to stop cause you landed on a little hill, etc. I know what you mean, but give it time, you will see a big difference. I have the pings, but i dont think it matters, the new ones will help.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 6:51 PM

If your not using the taylors how do you know what they are doing. Pings have 2 backspin while the the taylors advertise 3.5 . I think site admin needs to look into this.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 7:04 PM

Forums are funny tonite..just wonderin how late do you think this is gonna go?

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 7:12 PM

i usually work nights and was off today. I can do this all night, however im slightly distracted by the Cavs game right now

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:55 AM

I bought these taylor made wedges yesterday, and the 3.5 spin rating is complete BS.  I noticed no extra spin on any shots.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 5:29 PM

BUMP.

I just wanted to bring this back up. A 1.5 spin rating compared to a 3.5 rating should make a difference in stopping power. Like I said earlier, I'm not asking for walkback, just a notable difference. How bout the opinion from the upper level, Tibbets, Avatarlee, Nivlac and the like. You are the gentlemen of the bunch with the most to offer. I see you're using the taylors and would like to know you opinion. Does WGT need to look into this or am I expecting too much. At first I thought it was the way Bethpage played, so I went back to Kiawah, still the same result with the ball running 5 yards past the hole after landing 10 yards before. {estimate} Souldn't they be stopping a little quicker ?

On a side note.

I've been playing the burner 10.5 since available and bought the R9 when introduced. The Burner always showed 230, I think, with the R9 showing 235 as the distance to the aim triangle. When I switched back to the Burner 10.5 I noticed a 240 yardage offered at the triangle ? 

1,644 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 3:25 AM

drivnchaos,

I have noticed some improvement in the stopping power, it's kinda sublte, but it is there.  Try this to compare, equip the same club (loft) of each in your 2 wedge slots and then go Practice 3 holes and try and set up the same shot with both.  Try uphill and downhill shots, let us know what you find.

Lee

RSS