Forums

Help › Forums

I Find This Sad

Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:09 PM (3 replies)
  • shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Tue, Aug 24 2010 10:45 AM

I went to find out how much tickets to the Mylan Classic with the Nationwide Tour would cost, since my son could get in free.  I found out that the proceeds from the ticket I may buy would go to my choice of charity.  Now this is all good, and I saw in the list worthy local charities along with ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease), cancer survivors, the Mario Lemieux foundation, among others.  What I didn't find was anything for The Michael J. Fox foundation or the National Parkinson's Foundation.  And since I suffer from young onset Parkinson's, those are the charities I'd most want to support.

Really, how many people know anything about PD other than those who suffer from it shake?  How many people know about how it effects gait, reflexes, muscle movement, the ability to walk?  How many people know that it's a disease that's not exclusive to the elderly?  Michael J. Fox was diagnosed at the age of 30.  So was I.  These charities need more support than they get. 

I'm sorry for the public service announcement, but this is something that annoys me, since the research isn't there, either.  I'll go into that if you ask, but I've said enough.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Tue, Aug 24 2010 4:42 PM

Nice tough giving the proceeds to any charity you wanted, seems that would be a nightmare to adminster though.  I have two friends, one of whom had the same cancer as Lemieux and the other who had Parkinson's disease.  Before they became sick I knew little about the illness, once you have a friend or business associate who has this you tend to learn more and sort of live it.  You are right people don't know how the real effects are.  ALS people know even less about although I think that Steven Hawkings has brought that to light more than anyone else. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Aug 24 2010 6:28 PM

shakyjon:
    ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease),

I've always wondered what the odds where that Lou Gehig would end getting Lou Gerhig's disease.

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:09 PM

The funny part, sweetiepie, is that it's believed by some that Lou Gherig did not have Lou Gherig's disease.

RSS