Forums

Help › Forums

Putting aim

Thu, Dec 16 2010 2:29 AM (30 replies)
  • PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sun, Nov 21 2010 8:27 PM

I have played all my putts on the miss  rather than ding method.

I have never thought about moving the marker.

It apperas from putter threads that moving the marker is the prefered/correct method. Now I have to change my putting game completely or stick with my old method.

The excellent putting thread deals with distance tips. Is there a thread for how much you should be thinking about moving the marker to counter LR/RL slope? I am guessing that would be damn difficult to type out, and most players that use the marker method have great putting through rounds of practice.

Any thoughts?

• snprvnm
    16 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2010 3:58 PM

I use a little of both.. but I've noticed better results moving the marker and dinging it

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2010 1:47 PM

Ding is king...

• hawaiicruz
    49 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 12:38 PM

For putts under 10' feet I use the swing meter. Over 10' feet aiming seems to work better for me

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:17 PM

snprvnm:

I use a little of both.. but I've noticed better results moving the marker and dinging it

actually it depends on the putter. the higher precision the putter the better results will be had my aiming and trying to ding the meter. The lower precision putters with higher foregiveness missing the ding intentionally seems to work as well if not better.

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 2:03 PM

JuanMendoza:

Ding is king...

Damn straight.

Yancy

• wildbill137
    4 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 3:22 PM

I use the grid, speed of greens and instinct to putt. I always use a cross point on the grid for breaking putts. Use your gut and you will find a cross point that you know will not work above the hole. You can then find a cross point that you know will not work below the hole. Take a little risk and use the middle one as a starting point. I also use the reverse view to see the break at the hole, this may cause me to "rethink" the point i will use. I also like to aim at the top of the hole so the ball will fall into the hole on a minor "miss" of the dinger. Green speed familiarity is critical to using the grid too. I may be wrong, but I have found the green speed to be as follows(especially up to 30ft meter) ;

Slow  6 ft per putter movement

Normal  6.5 ft per putter movement

Fast 7ft per putter movement

Very Fast 7.5 ft per putter movement

Tournament 8 ft per putter movement

Try this and i am sure you will have less 3 putts.

Wild Bill

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Tue, Dec 7 2010 3:31 PM

AIM....DING-------BIRDIE!!!!!!

• Calafort
    50 Posts
    Sat, Dec 11 2010 11:11 AM

I always try and ding the put.  I find that if I miss the sweet spot, my distance calculations are all off as well!!

Kind of useful to position the marker to allow for swing AND distance!

• W000T
    104 Posts
    Sat, Dec 11 2010 8:17 PM

I move the arrow and always try to ding the meter.  Doing this allows me to use my break reading technique, that I use in real golf and on games.  I took the idea from tiger woods 1998 by ea sports.  The difference, in what you have to do is there, is no auto read.  What that game did, was draw a line, to show where the ball would go if you hit it like a flat putt with no elevation.  To make your putt aim adjustment, you would move it opposite  of where the ball would end up from the first putt.  That means a first putt read (like hit flat), that would go like 1ft 2in left, would need to be aimed 1ft 2in right of the hole.  On my putts I imagine the ball roll like it would be hit flat.  Then I adjust. The exception to your aim break would be hitting it faster than you need to on the distance read.  If you think you'll be hitting it harder by so much, you should relieve some break on your aimer.

drop more putts, gl

Wooot

RSS