Forums

Help › Forums

Putting aim

Thu, Dec 16 2010 2:29 AM (30 replies)
  • oldryno
    20 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 11:36 AM

Hello everyone..my question to you all is ..In putting do you move your shot aim ,or do you hit early/late..to make up for break??I just got the Redwood amd it seams to me that the late/early method work beter...

TKS OLDRYNO 

• HussainAkbar
    43 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 11:55 AM

With a high break, I use the early / late to put a sidewise spin. Bit chancy, but when it works, I believe its better than trying with a direct line.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 4:07 PM

about 95% of the time I hit early or late! This was how I did it early on and decided that moving the aiming point was not worth it. Occasionally I will move the aiming point, but not that often. Personally, I think whatever works for you and if you are hitting your putts than stay with it.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:18 PM

Except for the really short putts, I always move the aim to take into account the slope the ball is travelling across. It is however very much to do with personal choice, and I started by using this method, which has worked well for me, so stayed with it. For short putts where there is a significant slope, I will usually hit early or late to counteract the slope if I feel it's warranted.

• fancyfeet4
    23 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 11:52 AM

I just miss the putt on either side of the perfect.  I feel like you have more margin for error (probably wrong).  Plus you set it in your mind to either be patient and run it long, or hit it quicker.

On big breaking putts I move the aim just a little bit and miss the perfect spot on either side.

I think that it has served me well considering the amount I play and how little I invest in clubs.

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 2:58 PM

I too use the calculated miss in order to follow the breaks - pretty chancy though, as previously said. I guess I started putting this way early on when I did not know better and I stuck to it as I got into the habit. Works for me now.

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 3:42 PM

Personally, I aim to allow for slope and try to "ding" every putt...

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 5:18 PM

When I first started I would go for the hit it off center right or left method. This got me to a 65-66 average at my best which seemed like a wall. Yes i could shoot a 59 or a 28 using this method but not with any consistency. I had to take it back to the drawing board and start practicing hitting the dinger to get a better average and start winning a few credits. It takes a little longer to learn to perfect this method but when you get a feel for reading the slope dots it really comes down to just being able to hit the dinger. However sometimes feel just comes into play and I will give it a little extra off center into the break if I think it is warranted. It just seems that on the days I can ring the bell consistently, those are the days I get the low numbers. Just my 2 cents.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Aug 6 2010 11:17 PM

I use the aimer and pretty much never try to intentionally miss it unless it's a putt under 3 ft, at which point it's probably 50/50.  I don't feel it has to be exact at that point, so as long as I'm on the right side of the break, and I hit it 1-1.5 ft past the hole, it will go in 99.9% of the time.

I've never tried putting from long distances by intentionally missing.  I don't know... maybe I'm missing out... but it seems like it would be harder to master.

• oldryno
    20 Posts
    Sat, Aug 7 2010 11:36 PM

thanks everyone for your input...Gonna keep tryin both ways  and compare scores..see how my average is...Thanks again

RSS