Forums

Help › Forums

Irons

Thu, Aug 5 2010 2:25 PM (30 replies)
  • BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:07 PM

Sorry P but you are way off base here :)

12 is a pretty big advantage on either pin.

15 is a huge advantage on either pin.

16 is a huge advantage on the back right pin.

17 is a huge advantage on either pin.

Sure you're gonna have rounds where the pins/yardages line up for you and the raptures are fine.  But the g10 will just be able to give you birdie opportunities from many more yardages and from many different winds.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 9:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies,it's going to be a case (like imcoola) of whether I have the patience to try to get used to the G10's.I really would prefer to use them but some days I struggle to get near the ding on the meter,I suppose this is what separates me from the really great players,I doubt I could ever score in the 50's as often as a lot of you guys.

• Seekerb
    651 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:42 AM

For what it is worth it is said that Golf and cricket are 80% above the shoulders.  Virtual golf is probably 90%+ above the shoulders.  I suspect that working out a mental discipline on the meter is one of the most important aspects.  Thinking the right shot and ding leads to right ding sort of thing.  I tried my raptures after a time with G10's and I was all over the place.  The last fraction of the meter seems critical and even the raptures seem to have that last split second hurry.  These are comments from a master that is not doing particularly well and is heading to playing more practice rounds until I get the rhythm going so that I can fade and draw as well as ding

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 6:49 AM

Bullox hole breakdown is on the money.  You might see some great shots with the raptures on those holes, but the G10's will give you many more looks at birdies.  I would even add the 10th hole to that list as a "big advantage", while the pins or usually middle back, the height and distance of the G10's will give you a few more opportunities in less favorable winds.  Same with hole 9, I think I held the green once with them, with the G10's I have had much better luck.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:36 AM

Well,I've been playing with the G10 irons for most of today,I've been doing OK,I took Bollox's advice and bought them,I am holding on to the raptures though just in case lol.

The 17th at Kiawah terrifies me now,one slip and it's curtains.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:48 AM

Bluenose12:

Well,I've been playing with the G10 irons for most of today,I've been doing OK,I took Bollox's advice and bought them,I am holding on to the raptures though just in case lol.

I just recently bought the G10's; when you first try them, its hard to ding every shot.  With a little practice and getting past the dreaded learning curve you'll find you like the high lofted shots with the g10's.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:26 PM

KingOfTheCourse:

Bluenose12:

I just recently bought the G10's; when you first try them, its hard to ding every shot.  With a little practice and getting past the dreaded learning curve you'll find you like the high lofted shots with the g10's.

To be honest,I hardly ever ding the meter,I'm not that well coordinated lol.I just try to get as close the the ding as possible and hopefully get it the side of the ding where the wind will help it not go off line by too much.I'm scoring in the mid 60's with most rounds which I'm happy with,I'll never be a player like Bollox or Avatar but I'll keep trying.

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 5:39 AM

What is the best pro iron set?

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 5:48 AM

austinpowers2001:

What is the best pro iron set?

Well the Raptures set that ranges from 200-110 was the set I used through being a Pro.

I still used them until yesterday in the Master tier,they have a nice sedate meter speed.If I were you I'd get the Pro Ping G10 set because if you get used to the meter speed while at Pro it'll stand you in good stead when you get to Master,the Ping G10 iron Master set goes at the same meter speed as the Pro G10 set.

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:58 AM

Thanks Bluenose I was considering them and the Tour Burners. I was leaning towards the Tour Burners though because they have more spin.

RSS