Forums

Help › Forums

Irons

Thu, Aug 5 2010 2:25 PM (30 replies)
  • Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:56 AM

I turned Master a few weeks back and I still use my old Pro Rapture irons,after a tough first few days at Master I started to get decent scores (well I think they're decent lol).Just now I usually score between 66 & 68 with a few 64's and one or two 62's & 61's on a great day.

I tried the G10 irons (rented them a couple of times) but I'm all over the place with them because I can't stop the meter exactly where I want to.I just about manage to keep my drives in the fairway most of the time now using the Ping G10.I have to concentrate like hell when driving and like the sedate nature of my next shot using the Rapture irons.Do any other Masters use Raptures and am I missing out by not trying to get used to the G10 irons?

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 10:57 AM

This is a great question.

I have the Pro Raptures and use them on Kiawah, St Andrews and Oakmont to good effect. I use the G10s when playing Bethpage because those holes are loooong!

Like you, I find hitting the ding 9 times in 10 is well worth a drop in club performance.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 11:53 AM

Bluenose, i had exactly the same issues as you have, i solved it by using the GI-SD ball ( which you have) it slows the meter down just enough to use the G10 irons and faster drivers. I was like you i loved the Rapture irons but the back spin sucks, i can't tell you how many times i've hit a good shot, only to see it roll 10 ft passed the hole.

About 10 days ago i decided to use the G10s and the GI-SD balls, now i'm watching my balls land stiff to the flag and that  got me wondering why i didn't make that move months ago. if you give your self a week you'll never go back to the raptures i'm sure.  

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:00 PM

Thanks for the replies,I will probably rent them again and see how it goes.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:06 PM

I would just bite the bullet and purchase them if I were you.  When I made the change last summer from raptures to the faster meter irons it took me around 2 weeks to get the timing down.  Trying them for 24 hrs once in a while isn't enough to get a true feel for them imo.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:47 PM

BolloxInBruges:

I would just bite the bullet and purchase them if I were you.  When I made the change last summer from raptures to the faster meter irons it took me around 2 weeks to get the timing down.  Trying them for 24 hrs once in a while isn't enough to get a true feel for them imo.

I'm kind of coming round to your way of thinking,I rented them and hit a 65 round St. Andrews just there,so I certainly wasn't any worse than I am with the raptures.I didn't notice a great deal of difference in the backspin though,is there a significant difference in your opinion and should I map out avatar movements?

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 2:18 PM

It's not so much backspin as it is trajectory that makes the g10's stop a lot faster, especially the longer irons.

I wouldn't worry much about avatar movements until you've been using them for quite a while.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:07 PM

I'm using the Rapture Pros. I've used the G10s for aronund 2 months and then given up on them. I played the Raptures ever since (although I rented the G10s quite a few times I just don't get them working). I shot a 56 at Kiawah with them, a 57 at St.Andrews, a 58 at Bethpage. They work much better for me and as I don't play BP very often I don't need that bit more loft. Although BolloxInBruges is right. If I could handle the meter I would use the G10s or even the I15s. As I can't, I won't.

regards

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:41 PM

Bollox is right! You like many of us on here are going to have to bite the bullet. For me getting used to the G10's was not as bad as getting used to the R9. I struggled for weeks. 

As someone who uses G10's I have to say after you get used to them you will never go back. 

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:02 PM

The raptures might have a slight disadvantage on the front nine BP but i cant see a disadvantage for them on the back , against the g10s,On the back nine the pin position is always middleor back green mostly so this is no advantage there to G10s,Both par 3s are not advantageous to g10s maybe only 15  because of its 210 3 iron

RSS