Forums

Help › Forums

Some questions for the pros! Well... the masters, anyways.

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 4 2010 10:06 AM (20 replies)
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 11:49 PM

I made master (though not for long if I keep shooting the scores I have in the past two days,) but I still have some stuff to learn, so here's some questions for everyone.  ^_^

(1) Does the slope of your lie (upslope/downslop) affect the trajectory of your shot in terms of how high or low it goes?  For all shot types or just some?

(2) Does the slope of your lie (left/right) make your ball go left or right?  For all shot types or just some?

(3) Why do my tee shots sometimes go to the left or to the right of where I aim them?  I've had perfectly hit balls land (not counting the roll) 5-10 yards to the left or to the right of where I aimed them, even when there was no substantial wind.  I've also had perfectly hit balls, in high wind, not take the path that I told them to.  I remember hitting a ball off the tee about 15 yards to the left of the hole in order to adjust for the high left-to-right wind, but even though I hit it perfectly, it started straight at the hole and, of course, veered way off to the right during flight.  What gives?  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 3:05 AM

Hi CharlenagneRH

i'm by no means a master of this game but i will try my best to help answer for you

CharlemagneRH:
    (1) Does the slope of your lie (upslope/downslop) affect the trajectory of your shot in terms of how high or low it goes?  For all shot types or just some?
    The answer is no not yet. this is on the roadmap list for up and coming ideas/features  HERE

CharlemagneRH:
    (2) Does the slope of your lie (left/right) make your ball go left or right?  For all shot types or just some?
    No

CharlemagneRH:
    (3) Why do my tee shots sometimes go to the left or to the right of where I aim them?

look at the quick image below that i did to give you answer. the circles are an approximation of the precision of the raptures and the G10 masters irons. it would be the same with a tee shot.

basically the circle represents an area where the ball can land when you hit an "excellent" (dinged) shot.  so as you will see on the diagram that with the G10's it shows 10 blue dots and the raptures yellow dots. each dot represents the result of the exact same shot 10 times.

due to the precision rating on clubs not being full you could never get a perfect shot all the time so there is a bit of randomness to the game like in real life. it helps keep the game interesting, realistic and competitive.

hope it helps

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 3:28 AM

The other alternative is that MisterWGT sits in his chair monitoring games and when he sees someone on a streak.......... he reaches for the big red button

• Johniedino
    786 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 3:39 AM

eternalspirit:

The other alternative is that MisterWGT sits in his chair monitoring games and when he sees someone on a streak.......... he reaches for the big red button

ROFLMFAO...  Thats a good one ES

J

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:56 AM

The button's funny ES but the circle of precision is excellent. You did Andyson proud there-nice job illustrating something more people need to understand.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:40 AM

Hrm, just showed up, nm.

Hmm, not seeing the circle image...  is it indeed showing up? Would like to see this.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 1:47 PM

eternalspirit:
    CharlemagneRH:
    (3) Why do my tee shots sometimes go to the left or to the right of where I aim them?

look at the quick image below that i did to give you answer. the circles are an approximation of the precision of the raptures and the G10 masters irons. it would be the same with a tee shot.

basically the circle represents an area where the ball can land when you hit an "excellent" (dinged) shot.  so as you will see on the diagram that with the G10's it shows 10 blue dots and the raptures yellow dots. each dot represents the result of the exact same shot 10 times.

due to the precision rating on clubs not being full you could never get a perfect shot all the time so there is a bit of randomness to the game like in real life. it helps keep the game interesting, realistic and competitive.

hope it helps

Hmm... I suppose you're right.  It just seemed way too significant for it to be a precision problem... but maybe my clubs aren't quite as precise as I'd like to think they are... doh!

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 7:05 PM

Got another question.  :)

On my drives, in order to maxmize distance, should I be leaving the dot where it is, or should I be moving it up a tad to get top spin?

The video tutorial video says top spin increases the roll, but it said nothing about shortening the flight of the ball.  :P

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 7:20 PM

If   I am thinking about the right thing,  top spin will decrease the loft  and generate more roll but in the loss of  loft you will,  IMO, get less distance on the flight of the ball but with the increased roll  you might get the same distance, depending of course  the type of fairway you are hitting it to, if it is flat you might get more distance, if it is not   maybe less.

• gwrit59
    307 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 7:57 PM

I have tried it many ways and have found that just like in real golf hitting the sweet spot gives you the maximum distance. The top spin and backspin however are very helpful with irons(especially short irons) into the green.

RSS