Help › Forums

Extremely Frustrated !

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:56 AM (6 replies)
  • Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 5:01 PM

Ok I need help with this!

Bethpage #11 after my drive I have 150 yds to the hole. a 1 ft +elevation with an 8 mph wind directly behind me, I hit a perfect ding 7 iron which can go 150 yds  no spin on the ball yet it only went 138 yards !!!!!!!!  with only 1 ft of elevation the 8 mph wind behind me should have carried the distance !!!!  I had 6 yds of green before the flag which then is only 144 yds !!!!!!!                      

Question: where did I go wrong !!!!!!!!! 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 5:50 PM

Stryder1261:

The 150 yards that club is rated for includes the roll out. You didn't have enough club to carry the green and it died in the fairway. What you need to know is how far in the air your clubs go. On BPB10 and 11 hit back and forth in the fairway and each iron you hit listen for the thump of the ball landing while watching the yardage meter.. Use this number in the future and you'll avoid what you posted about. Hope this helps. GL

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:43 PM

YankeeJim:

Stryder1261:

The 150 yards that club is rated for includes the roll out. You didn't have enough club to carry the green and it died in the fairway. What you need to know is how far in the air your clubs go. On BPB10 and 11 hit back and forth in the fairway and each iron you hit listen for the thump of the ball landing while watching the yardage meter.. Use this number in the future and you'll avoid what you posted about. Hope this helps. GL

Sorry Jim, have to disagree here...

Stryder, you had plenty of club to make the pin, however there has been a constantly reoccurring issue with the 7 Irons in a lot of club sets (more specifically approach shots from 145-165 yards) where they tend to come up at least 7 yards short of the expected carry distance. Have a look at these threads... Please look at the 7I..... Inconsistent 7-iron; TaylorMade..... 7-iron Ping G10 Master - inconsistency..... Re: 7i is broken again - raptures (I could go on and on) and you'll find plenty of documentation on it.  Nothing has ever been done to fix it to my knowledge, and I don't even know if WGT acknowledges it as an issue at all.  

Sorry I couldn't be any more help, but you'll just have to shrug that one off and move on when it happens, and trust me, I know it sucks, but what can you do??

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:57 PM

however there has been a constantly reoccurring issue with the 7 Irons in a lot of club sets (more specifically approach shots from 145-165 yards) where they tend to come up at least 7 yards short of the expected carry distance.

Exactly!  I ignore the helping wind on my Rapture 7I up to a point.  It carries the same distance with no help and with a 8 mph helping distance.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:18 AM

Nice catch, Lee. I thought they had fixed that. Personally with the G10s and TMs I've never had the issue.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:43 AM

Thanks Everyone for your responses,

YJ, I will start taking club yardage notes as You suggested. I already have Course notes for every hole and course except Oakmont which has helped my game knowing where to hit it or where I can miss a little

Thanks AvatarLee for threads, glad to know that it wasn't all my fault !!!

I have noticed that the 7 iron alot of times came up short on #9 @ Kiawah as well.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:56 AM

Stryder-If you don't already have them these might help-overhead views of all the courses.

http://wgt.com/forums/t/10068.aspx?PageIndex=2

Oakmont is here.

http://yfrog.com/55oakfrtj   front

http://yfrog.com/jnoakbkj     back

RSS