Forums

Help › Forums

Oops...

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 13 2010 12:43 PM (25 replies)
  • RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 4:30 PM

Well, I was so intent on scoring in the Weekly 9 Unlimited, I didn't notice how close I was to Master, and, well....    I'm now at Master. Yay, I think, LOL...  any words of wisdom? Cuz, I think I'm gonna need 'em.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:40 PM

RChapman2010:
    Well, I was so intent on scoring in the Weekly 9 Unlimited, I didn't notice how close I was to Master, and, well....    I'm now at Master.

just  one  thing,    dont ever and I mean EVER complaing about sandbagging now that you messed  up and actually claimed the scores that got ya there.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Sun, Jul 11 2010 10:46 PM

excuse me?

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 3:37 AM

wizbang360:
    just  one  thing,    dont ever and I mean EVER complaing about sandbagging now that you messed  up and actually claimed the scores that got ya there.

I think you are mis-interpreting here.

He wasn't trying to sandbag and "messed-up"

Simply playing the same 9 holes over and over and over and over (which is what he was doing - trying to post a low score in the tourney)  will quickly lower one's average to a point below what it should naturally be.

If it wasn't for the unlimited play aspect of this particular 9 hole tourney, he likely would have had to play many more rounds to get to MASTER status.

Play any 9 holes repeatedly, and you'll get really darn good at those 9. But This makes a Master not! And this is the cause of RChampman's lament.

A long long time ago, I got tired of being right at the cusp of Pro / Master status. SO I barreled thorough about 4 under 30 rounds of 9 at Kiawah to get there. If I hadn't consciously done this, and instead mixed it up, It might have taken me a lot longer to get there.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 5:02 AM

I nearly hurt something laughing at the accusation of being a sandbagger who'd made a mistake.

I've played several rounds with RChapman and he's definitely not a sandbagger. Congratulations, even though you are going to have to soak up some poor rounds for a while. Don't get disheartened, the game will come together again, but it is a real shock to start with.

It's going to a be bit of a shock to start with, although I think you're in a better condition to cope with it than I was when I made a rather similar mistake to make Master so quickly. It took me quite a few months to come to terms with it all. I don't think you'll struggle quite as much as I did. I'm glad to be a Master now, but I know that I could have done with a month or two more time playing at the Pro level, so that the transition was a lot easier.

What you need to do is work out what clubs you might need to upgrade, to help with starting from the tees further back. It's also worth noting that most of the top players and those trying to head that way, have dropped the Hybrid club in favour of having 3 wedges.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 5:05 AM

birdwell:

I think you are mis-interpreting here.

any one that says  "oops"   I made master.  Obviously would have avoided doing it had he not "messed up"  and  payed attention to his score , as he implied  with "I didn't notice how close I was to Master, and, well....    I'm now at Master"   there is  no misinterpretation  there. Anyone purposely  avoiding making master  is the definition of that term.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 6:21 AM

No, no, no, no wizbang, look at his score history.    There are no abnormally or artificially high scores typical of a "sandbagger".  And it looks like he posted all his scores on the week 28 unlimited, the good and not so good rounds.  But no mid 40's rounds you'd see if he'd taken max score on the last hole.  I think your off base accusing RChapman of sandbagging.  JMO

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 6:57 AM

sry     all I went by are his own words,    if he mispoke  ( or  typed )   then.......

but   what should be needless to say,  scores can be manipulated  and  you have  no idea what rounds were counted and what were not. Neither do I     it is just the walks ,  talks, acts    duck  thing.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 7:28 AM

Hey Chapman,

Those Rapture clubs put me over the top too in a similar fashion. You should upgrade your driver now so you can reach the greens easier. The Rapture irons are long enough to compete too. Use your course knowledge. The only thing different is the course length.

Do like the other poster suggested, play all the courses (not just one), and get familiar with where you can miss, and where you can't, and you'll become a competitor in the Master tier. GL  : )

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 7:31 AM

I find it really curious that he made Master to begin with.  I've know RC for a while and have seen his progress steadily improve. His game's an open book. He's posted his woes on the course many times, often asking for input. It just looks like he was in a groove trying to climb that leaderboard where he posted a 30.  Nice round, RC. Unfortunately it was probably what pushed you over the edge.

Now that you're a Master just change the driver. You'll need it, obviously, but where it puts you in the fairway will be places you're already familiar with and your present clubs will let you compete. It's the greens that you need to worry about because they're all Very Fast now as a default speed. Expect your biggest headaches there until you get them under control. Congratulations and GL.

p.s., Let's replay that last round at Kiawah we had.  ;-)

RSS