Forums

Help › Forums

LET'S BE HONEST

Mon, Feb 27 2017 4:33 PM (2,573 replies)
  • BubbaSauce
    260 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 4:36 PM

A little late to this thread, but here goes.

I'm 57, married twice, one daughter.

I met my current wife on AOL back in '95. I was in So. Cal she was in So. TX. We hit it off pretty good so I decided to visit. That was Labor Day weekend in '95. I moved to So. TX by the end of that month and never looked back. We were married the following June and had a daughter together a year later in August. She is 19 now and an amazing person.

I joined WGT in May of 2013 but didn't really play that much at first. A few months later I tried my hand at it and I was hooked. I made it to Master by Christmas that year.

I was fortunate to make acquaintances with Opyueclid by that time. He may not remember me but when I made Master, he gifted a set of wedges to me. That was the best thing that could have happened to my game. It didn't take long to make to Tour Master after that. Thanks, Opy.

By the way, I used those wedges all this time until last week when I finally upgraded.

Another acquaintance, Alanti, gifted me a putter a short time later as a congratulations for making Master. Combined with the wedges, my game definitely went to the next level.

I took almost a year off from the game in 2014. My wife had been laid off and we were struggling financially. I was fortunate enough to be asked to join a band. That took a lot of my time, plus all the financial worries and WGT was becoming a source of frustration. I made Tour Master and it seemed my whole game to went in the loo. That's why I decided to step away.

Fast forward to last spring. I got a new computer (I had been slaving over an old HP laptop). Then we got the latest internet service from AT&T (GigaPower). So I decided to give the game a try again. Things were better for us, I was in a groove with the band (that is, not spending all my spare time learning new songs anymore), so I thought I had room for some golf. I'm hooked all over again.

It only took a month and I made Legend. My average score took a dump after that and I've been struggling to get under 70 ever since.

Played a little golf in my younger days. Never managed to break 100 on a full course. 102 was my best. Shot an 87 on an Executive course once. Still have the ball from that day. Been to TopGolf a couple of times. Reminds me that I don't think I'll ever physically play the game again. LOL.

I love the game of golf. Always watch the majors. Love The Open the best. WGT allows me to experience the joy of playing the game. I'm in a great CC now and enjoy the members.

Thank you again to players like Opy and Alanti and Waggfish and my new friends in The Rabbit Warren. You've all been great friends and I appreciate your generosities.

See y'all on the course.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 5:00 PM

BubbaSauce:
    late to this thread,

# 1  , never to late 

# 2   , Yes I remember you Sir .

# 3   ,  Thank you to all the good Friends we have had the chance to meet here in WGT land over the years . 

OPY 

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 5:33 PM

Great to hear your story Bubba.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 10:29 PM

Great story, and a good reminder that there are some really fine people here.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 12:31 AM

I too remember you and I am pleased you are back playing.

A great read and happy to have a game with you anytime.....

I always liked your attitude, this game is more than scores you post, it s about the friendships you make along the way.

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 1:11 AM

A great story and also glad you made it back.

Don't worry about your average, and eventually it will start to go down as you learn the new distances.

Very nice looking bass - is it a Fender Jazz Bass? What kind of music are you into?

FR sent - hope to get in a round or two with you soon.

Cheers

Peter

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 8:07 AM

Howzit

This seems like as good a place as any to post this.

I'm checking out of here in a few days guys. Not sure exactly when but things have accelerated in the last few days. CT and Phil have the skinny on that.

The members of my CC which I have been most privileged to join, are pretty much set in terms of their clubs and balls, which is why I have turned to you.

So here's  my question:

I have a few credits, and tomorrow I'll be selling my clubs back so I'll have a few more.

Can anyone nominate a member of this fine institution, that is truly deserving of a set of irons, wedges or putter?

Kinda need a response within 48 hours if that is ok.

I have been a member of a few CC's here - all of which I have been honoured to be accepted to. Without exception they have been fine clubs and their leadership teams have always placed their members first. I moved on from them not from their shortcomings, but my own.

I have been privileged to be part of this community and to those of you that have reciprocated by offering their friendship and generosity, thank you.

Occasionally I went off the rails and Icon and Shoe were quick to steer me back, albeit via a lengthy forum break :-)

CT was instrumental in allowing me to speak again and whatever some of you may think of him, he is a true friend, a loyal ally and a staunch advocate of fact-based posting.

I will respond to my friends privately.

Cheers all, and good luck in your quest for the holy grail :-)

Cheers,

Peter

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 9:52 AM

petervcpt:
    I'm checking out of here in a few days guys.

Peter,

WTF?!!

The words "I'm checking out of here" are quite ominous. I don't know if this refers to a beef with WGT and you're just quitting the game or if you have a grave illness. I'm not asking you to explain further as CT can fill me in on the details if he sees fit. I'm just hoping it's not as serious as it sounds.

We just became friends less than 24 hours ago and although I know you from the forums, we've never played together before. I sent you the friend invite because of your recent post about a game you had with Alan and Colin and your statement about how much fun it was and that that's what the game is all about. I read your comment, saw we had mutual friends and liked your attitude, hence the friend invite...and now this. I was really hoping for the chance to get to know you and play some golf with you and our friends.

I can't help you with a nominee, although I did find a guy this morning who I might be sending some golf balls to later today who seems to be a good guy. He joined a few weeks ago and has only played blitz games and no ranked rounds as he finds his way around, but he was given some great advice from Phred (?) to level up to L59 before he invests in his first clubs. He may be a good candidate so shoot me a pm and I can dig up his name if you want.

Anyway, I hope this isn't as serious as it sounds and wish you all the best.

MC/Wayne

RSS