Forums

Help › Forums

Any Real Life Holes-In-One?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 18 2010 5:44 PM (24 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Tue, Jul 6 2010 2:25 PM

Actually it only matters where the front of the tees are since you can tee off as much as 2 club lengths in back of the markers.  He was lucky that the insurance company paid off, the contract is very specific about the measurements.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Jul 6 2010 3:01 PM

And it would behoove the tournament sponsors to double check that the distance is accurate... even slightly longer than in the insurance contract.

Next time I make a hole-in-one in a tournament I'm making sure that I move the tee markers back about 3 feet to cover for any inaccuracies.  :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Fri, Jul 9 2010 9:21 AM

Yeah after that little slip up, they have made sure the pin / tee location gives at least 3 yards of wiggle room.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 1:46 PM

TarheelsRule:

Far be it for me to tell anyone how to count their hole in ones.  I think that for me, a hole in one made on an executive or par 3 course would not be the same as one made during a regular round of golf.  The biggest issue that I have is that the executive or par 3 courses are very inconsistent in length, you mentioned that you made one from 156 and that the course that you played had several holes over 150.  I can tell you that I have played several par 3 courses where I went out with 2 wedges and a putter, knowing that I wouldn't have a shot over 90 yards.  An ace is an ace, # 7 at Pebble Beach was 98 yards and as hard as any 3 par on the course. 

A sidenote to the hole in one disucssion.  I played in a member guest with my father about 15 years ago at his home course.  For many years they had a hole in one prize of a car for an ace on the 11th hole, a par 3 of about 160 yards.  No one had every won it before the year that I am talking about and they had it for many years.  A very average golfer aced the hole and the fun began.  The insurance company, the local auto dealership bought a policy for about $200 based on the number of players and distance.  The adjuster came out and measured the hole, which was left as it was on Sunday.  The pin was in the same spot as were the tees, the measurement came out to 159 yards and 8 inches.  The policy stated that the distance had to be in excess of 160 yards.  The club pro and the adjuster argued over this for about a week, during which time the hole and tees were marked by paint for future measurements.  The hole in one winner commented to me that he didn't know who was paying but he had a new car.  It was finally resolved by the club paying the insurance company the premium  that would have been charged for 150 to 159.9 yards, which was a good compromise I think.  The funny thing is that after going about 40 years without an ace in this tourney, the very next year another ace was made, winning a new SUV.

Our par 3 course has holes ranging from 95 to 215. 3 are around 175 to 180 and the rest between 115 and 140.It's not your typical pitch and putt par 3 course.

My hole-in-one was made on the 119 yard hole with the tees at the far back and the pin in the middle.  

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:10 AM

I understand and that is what I consider the issue.  Your par 3 course ranges from 95 to 215, however you can find many (most) par 3 courses that range from 50 to 100 yards.  Holing out is still great and a thrill, my opinion and it is only mine is that only an ace on a normal par 34 to 37 golf course of over 3000 yards per nine is true golf.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:36 AM

I suppose a hole-in-one is a subjective thing since I don't believe it's covered in the Rules of Golf.  I just read a story about a guy who teed off on a par 3 and knocked it into the water.  He then re-teed and knocked it in the hole!  He is calling this a hole in one.  Hmmm???

Personally (subjectively) I feel an authentic hole-in-one, in the spirit of its intention, is that you score a one on a hole, in the course of play on a regular course with par 4's and par 5's being part of the course.  On an executive course there are no regulations as to hole length.  Taking this to the extreme, what if they had a 20 yard hole?  If you sunk it off the tee is this a hole in one?

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:00 AM

We are on the same page on this.  Actually I played with a friend who dumped his tee shot into the pond on a par 3 and holed out the next.  It was a nice par not an ace   lol

My thoughts are like yours, on courses with no rules as to distance, I have played some pretty short shots on executive courses and holed out a number of those but much as the CTTH challenges on here don't count toward your hole in one total, I don't think those should either.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:30 AM

Don't have any on the real course, got around half dozen on PNP courses.

I probably took more pleasure out of my score (55) than my last ace at my local pnp course a few weeks ago.   Anyone can get lucky and get an ace there.   Very few can shoot around par, and not one person I've been grouped with since I started playing without my friends have even shot in the 50's, much less par or even remotely close to my best score (51).

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jul 15 2010 12:11 PM

TarheelsRule:
    We are on the same page on this.  Actually I played with a friend who dumped his tee shot into the pond on a par 3 and holed out the next.  It was a nice par not an ace   lol

My memory is getting foggy.. but didn't Freddie Couples manage this in a tournament once?  Drowned one then holed the next for a 3?

• TarheelsRule
    5,478 Posts
    Fri, Jul 16 2010 8:31 AM

I remember seeing a pro do this in a tourney but can't recall if it was Fred or not.  I have never done this but as I mentioned I did witness a friend who did this and go from the great feeling of making an ace to realizing that, no you didn't   lol

RSS