Forums

Help › Forums

Master Ping Irons & Hybrid Chatter

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 24 2010 6:48 AM (30 replies)
  • gfsullivan
    196 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:58 AM

I love the HB club, great for rough. 3 wood seems to drag.

Iwhat I would like is a decent 70yd wedge, any suggestions?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:12 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    I see you are still using taylor made irons for some reason. 

Only at SA.  There's no way I could have Q'd at Oak with them.  SA's flat and they handle the wind better.Pings get played everywhere else.

You aren't a typical example, B. My run and gun style of play probably costs me regular low 60 rounds but that's OK. I've spoiled myself by being able to handle anything around the green and I suppose if I were to pay more attention to the GIR your points are very valid.

You were the one that got me to the Pings so when I get smart maybe we'll get back to a 3W. ;-)

*edit*-Does any particular hole come to mind where you know you will definitely use the 3W?

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:25 AM

From masters tees, no I cant say 100% that i'd need to use it every round if I happened to get nice tailwinds on 5&14.   The only holes I use it fairly often from masters tees are 5,9,13,14,17.  If you're talking qualifier tees it is absolutely mandatory to carry 3w or you are just throwing away strokes.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:45 AM

BolloxInBruges:
    If you're talking qualifier tees it is absolutely mandatory to carry 3w or you are just throwing away strokes.

Damn! I hate being a hardhead. It takes so long to understand something I make myself crazy. LOL. Now I know I'll be musing about this all day and will probably wind up renting the i15 for a go at SA.

Oddly enough, I've always recommended new players to approach this game as they would IRL. In thinking on this subject I realized that I actually do mimic RL here. My actual RL bag doesn't have a 3W! A 9.0 driver, 2HB, 3-10, PW, SW, 60W. The HB only gets used when wildman driver misses the fairway. 

Ugh, the life of hardhead.....................  :-D

p.s., Your opinion means a great deal-thanks for it.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:46 PM

YankeeJim:
    The HB only gets used when wildman driver misses the fairway. 
    I know you were referring to your RL  hybrid , but I just wanted to add that on here, the hybrid punch from the garbage rough does work wonders , but there are several par 3's in the 187 to 202 range when faced with  18 to 30 mph. in your face , mmm , it works magic.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:51 PM

what's an hb? thx. in advance. JB

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 4:57 PM

TheAceFactor:
    I know you were referring to your RL  hybrid

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 5:32 AM

TheAceFactor:
    I know you were referring to your RL  hybrid , but I just wanted to add that on here, the hybrid punch from the garbage rough does work wonders ,

Yes it does, Ace. In fact, after BiBs advice I swapped the 4th wedge for a HB (hybrid if you're serious, jb) and played SA Open Q. Ugh, I was so screwed up on my approaches. I had to plan differently to get to where I needed to be, which I suppose is course management, but it was like learning all over again. I did have 2 occasions to use the HB with results no different than using a 3i (relatively close) on this particular windset.

Playing without that club or a 3W is not for everybody. It is for me because I'm entrenched in my 4 wedge style. Long shots from the rough are low % ones with a high risk-reward factor I choose not to gamble on . It's easier to stay out of the garbage.  ;-)

For me it's 4 wedges. I like the Tri driver and it's fairly easy to keep it high and dry so with the long Ping or TM 3i I can play without it. My lifetime best is 28 at SA in High Winds with the TMs and I'm getting a cool bag tag and hat for Q'ing at Oakmont- I can live with that.

LMAO-gimme a bag full of top clubs and I'll never beat the boss hogs here anyway! :-D

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 5:46 AM

YankeeJim:

LMAO-I'd love to see the look on your face when you see the difference. I also would like to hear the WTFs during the learning curve. Beware-learn them.  ;-)

Amen Jim! the last time you told me to switch wedges I said that about 5 times!

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 6:28 AM

I take a per-course approach.

For the qualifier at Oakmont I am carrying the R9 3W and 3H, and my ping 54* and 60* Master wedges. I do not miss a shorter wedge (as long as I remember to hit the 3H or an iron for the second shot on the first par 5 instead of the 3W) The greenside bunkers are all so nasty that a longer Flop with the 60* or 54* is always needed.

Setup is near the same for BPB, except I play 64* and 60* wedges. Only time I miss the longer wedge is on #18 for the approach at the back hole location.

No Hybrid, Just the 3W for Kia and st andrews, carrying 3 wedges.

RSS